• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:just wandering (stars?), anybody out there know why newspapers are newspaper sized? hmmm umm

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete Topic

Warchild
BRONZE Member since Jan 2004

After 17 hrs i got the little beautie

Total posts: 340
Posted:Haha....Good question

But are we talking 'the sun' sized newspapers, or are we talking 'the Guardian' sized newspapers, bearing in mind the Guardian takes about 3 more trees in which to produce one copy of said paper compared to the couple twigs needed for the sun?! confused wink

A wise man once told me, A friend will bail you outta jail, A great friend will be sitting beside you saying that was f**king awesome.

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:Do you know what? They did the last ever Times as a broadsheet the other day (apparently). Now they're just going to do the compact version.

Wow.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:Isn't the Times the reputable newspaper? Cos I will be a snob and stereotype and say that the reputable ones are braodsheet and the crap are tabloids.

In Victoria, the Australian and the Age are pretty much all you can get in broadsheet.
My hometown paper used to be broadsheet until a few years ago when they changed to tabloid (people said so its exterior matched its interior!)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:Yep, The Time's is a reputable one... but it seems broadsheets are being phased out! Which is good really, because trying to read them anywhere where you haven't got a huge table to spread out over... ugh. Pain.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

oli

not with cactus

Posted:but why is broadsheet broadsheet sized? i reckon its about the perfect size for a bit of paper. is that why?

i have my reasons.

Delete

Ifrit
BRONZE Member since Aug 2004

Ifrit

The GF of HoP

Total posts: 492
Posted:Care to inlighten us about your reasons? smile

fire leads to creation

Delete

gita
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

gita

.:*distracted by shiny things*:.

Total posts: 3776
Posted:trust me rougie - it's not just the reputable ones on broadsheet!!! biggrin the courier mail here in qld is broadsheet & full of sheet! ubblol

i have vague recollections of there actually being a reason for the newspapers being that size...but it's sunday (halloween even!) & i'm far too hungover to try & rack my brain to find the reason!! wink

i'm sure somebody out there in hop-land knows the answer! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! grin it confuses people!

Delete

CaMiLL(e_o)

CaMiLL(e_o)

Total posts: 88
Posted:Boy have you got me doing my homework. Dug this up off Google.

"Historically, broadsheets were developed when in 1712 a tax was placed on British newspapers based on the number of their pages."

From that point forward i think it was a matter of reputation and presentation. As Rouge Dragon says, they just became known as more professional in content

Will that do?

strange question got any more?
ubbidea

>>>d(o_0)b<<<

Delete

Zim
BRONZE Member since Sep 2004

Zim

Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...

Total posts: 284
Posted:two words/one abbreviation and one word: HoP junkies.

talking about newspaper sizes...

for shame!

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

Delete

Zim
BRONZE Member since Sep 2004

Zim

Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...

Total posts: 284
Posted:then again i'm not one to talk, as a postwhore on HoP... ah well

*slings the metaphorical mud*

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

Delete

oli

not with cactus

Posted:Written by: CaMiLL(e_o)

"Historically, broadsheets were developed when in 1712 a tax was placed on British newspapers based on the number of their pages."

hmm, thank you. i am however not entirely satisfied with that answer, they could have just gone for one huge page or something? why did the page size get as big as it got and then not get any bigger?

i assume it is because any bigger would be impractical. but its quite impractical anyway. hmm umm

Delete

CaMiLL(e_o)

CaMiLL(e_o)

Total posts: 88
Posted:You're welcome.

That's all I'm willing to look up on that subject as any more would be a waste of time....... smile
(time that I can waste in other ways, browsing without stumbling on something uselessly educational)
^not possible on the internet.

Why DO you want to know?

>>>d(o_0)b<<<

Delete

oli

not with cactus

Posted:i reckon a big sized newspaper is the perfect size for a bit of paper...was wondering if that was why they are the size they are...

i was thinking nonsense at the time... its not important.

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:There is something about spreading a broadsheet newspaper out on the bench to read. It would be a shame if eventually they all became tabloids.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Hello all.

Broadsheets were traditionally read by the upper classes - men who had time to sit down in a comfortable chair and manage the larger pages.
The pages are larger simply to fit in more stories, give a broader view of the story, with more detail - and it's cheaper for printing to fit more stories on one page than run extra pages.

Traditionally, tabloid-size papers were designed for the working classes - titillation and trauma - all reduced to a convenient size so that the man (because, like it or not, newspapers were and generally still are, read by more men), could read it easily on his way to work in public transport (bus or train) - or in the pub.

However, recently many papers have decided to go down to tabloid size. It is not a reflection on the quality of news that paper will produce, but simply because less people have the time to sit in a chair and read the paper.
The tabloid size is much more convienient to read.

The paper I work for has been broadsheet since it began in 1890-something.
However, a few years ago we went 'Euro-sized' (a little smaller than broadsheet, bigger than tabloid)... which worked quite well. In the next couple of months, we will be going tabloid. I don't think it's a great idea, cos as a sub-editor it means we will have to totally rethink how we design the pages (bah).

However, it's something that will be happening more frequently over the next few years. Newspaper sales are dropping dramatically, and the papers are trying to find a way to keep in touch with people - unfortunately, this is one of the ways they will do it.

I reckon most papers will be tabloid size within 10 years.

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:In Melbourne, the two main papers are clearly distingushed by their size. I was talking to me dad about it the other day, and we both agreed that we can't see the broadsheet one going tabloid, because the size difference is the identity here and they will probably lose sales if they do it.

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:i always said that size doesnt matter, and its more the overall quality thats important- but some people will always disagree wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Australia is a bit different as something like 80 per cent of the newspapers there are owned by Rupert Murdoch's News International - not good.

Quite apart from the lack of a balanced press, there is the issue of a lack of competition, so the newspapers in Melbourne (especially if there is only 2 of them for such a big city) will not feel the need to compete.

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:i think its weird that all the people who commute to work in trains with no room because they are so packed full of people, are the ones who read the big, unwiedly broadsheets.

bring on the smaller sheet papers i say.

i like it when cool people with i-books sit next to me on the way to work browsing the news websites and let me read along with them smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:Written by: Firepoise

Australia is a bit different as something like 80 per cent of the newspapers there are owned by Rupert Murdoch's News International - not good.

actually, someone correct me if i'm wrong. but most of the newspapers in australia are either owned by him or kerry packer. so basically 50% of the press is run by one side, 50% by the other. And sometimes they'd just report something differently just because the other side says one thing, so they couldn't say it too.

Delete