Forums > Help! > HELP! I have somebody trying to take over my troupe's name!!

Login/Join to Participate

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
I need help on what to do with this situation. My troupe website (which is no longer running) was being run my a former member of my troupe. He has been removed from my troupe for reasons i will not mentionmad2. I own the buisness license & the name of our troupe BUT this former member of my troupe is now saying that I cannot use the name, nor the pics that were posted on the website due to copyright laws. I was not sure, but i thought that if u gave permission (as the owner of the troupe name & pics) that the buisness owner has ownership to the website name & images that were provided in the first place. So tell me, Can this prick do this to me? Can he have ANY kind of ownership over use of my troupe's name? eek

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if ya can, produce the originals!

unfortunately in the quagmire of bridge-burning differences, the only things that exists are things that were written down.
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1095058821)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
well- i have the original images on my Memory card for my digital camera. What i worryabout the most is the use of my troupe name, or blocking the use the name there of.

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If you are unable to settle it on you own you need to get a lawyer involved and as bender said you need everything in writing. Copies of checks bills invoices etc. Did you own the domain name? Whether or not you own the buisness name you need to prove you owned the domain name or they can do what ever they want with the web site. But, he is limited in the business he can do using your name outside of the internet. He can run the website, but he can not accept any other buisness unless he creates the buisness name "spinninggroup.com"

As far as rights to the pictures, keep them on the card. Hopefully the card keeps the dates the pictures were taken. Then the card can act as a poor mans copyright.
Good luck smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
Well- this former member actually paid the $7 for the domain name. But if he was using the buisness name as the domain name with my permission , wouldn't that be enough to let me do as I will with my troupe name or an likeness there of? I doubt these people are going to be reasonable about this, it is a total control issue for them. I have complete finacial records ( u know- buisness license application, insurance reciept. etc..)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Written by:

wouldn't that be enough to let me do as I will with my troupe name or an likeness there of?

You have the buisness name, you can do whatever you want, they can't stop you. If the domain name is inactive and you are able to purchase it on our own, you essentially steal it back. Think of a patent, if you don't pay to keep it patented, others can use it once it's expired.
I don't think your problem is in them stopping you, but in you stopping them. They can have the web site, but the moment they start doing official buisness with that name, there doing it illegally, unless they have a loophole like a slight alteration in the name. Kind of like in the simpsons when Moe sold Duff beer as an import he called Düff beer. wink

How much do you have invested in this name? You may want to change the name completely and be done with it and them. See what it takes to "change" the name on your buisness license and insurace. Reputation is one thing, but it sounds like these people would have done their best to destroy that anyway.

Give tedward ar Bearclawmfg.com an e-mail. He is a frend of mine and I think he might have some good advice for you on this.

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Oh on second thought don't change the name, because then they could steel it from you. Keep it and start another one or wait untill they let the domain go. It will leave them hanging with a domain name they can't really use. ubblol

Cody Canon

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
yeah- I really want to keep the name- i have put alot of hard work into creating a good reputation around the troupe name. AS for the people creating the problem- i don't think anybody would listen to them in terms of posible slander & liable twards the troupe (or so i hope).
But i must say i like the idea of changing the name for a bit and letting them have a useless domain name!!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Written by:

But i must say i like the idea of changing the name for a bit and letting them have a useless domain name!!

Remember to keep the name so they don't steel it, just start another one and leave them hanging. wink

Cody Canon

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
oh yeah- i'll keep the name & leave the rest of 'em hangin. I am so happy i believe in karma.

burncrispynewbie
17 posts

Posted:
light has not gone out yet brothers- i gots karma on my side

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Burncrispy, are you the other party privy to this situation? If so I'd like to hear your side as well.

Cody Canon

burncrispynewbie
17 posts

Posted:
no- but put it this way- Phyrefly has told me about everything that happened & i don't know why he wouldn't tell the truth about the situation. To be honest, i just wanted to give him a little boost of morale. But i will say this-it's a situation i do not feel comfortable discussing over a public forum- however- PMs are just fine.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'd be happy to arbitrate this matter through any means they would like. These forums are out there to help people. Posting it publically helps others learn, which is why I bother to post. Granted if people refuse to act like adults, I don't think I'll waste my time with PMs if others can't see the mistakes to learn from. If you would like to tell me something in a PM that could help "publically" solve this in a form others can learn from, please do smile

Cody Canon

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
good- talk to the guy responsible for this whole mess- he is a member on this site. If he has the gall to respond- or any of my other former troupe members, on this forum then I am more than happy to have you arbitrate this matter. But until then- i am not going to bother with anymore post regarding the subject.