ZaliaBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
heya guys
i'm wanting to go backpacking in thailand start of next year and was wondering if theres any thing i should know about flying with poi, single sticks, double sticks and maybe fire fans. should i make all nice new ones? will airports give me any probs? i've never been on a plane, or backpacking. so excited smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Hi Zali!
i have no experience of my own to give you, however i noted this thread for when i go overseas next year.

[Old link]

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Follow the white rabit.
Sticks are cheap here.
If you make before december find me.

Love from Bangkok
Me kiss

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey zalia,
i recenlty came back from thailand and i can't imagine there will be any problem, in most touristy areas they were selling staffs and poi everywhere for all the tourists that see a few beach parties and go wow buy one then give up after half an hour, i dont know how good the quality of the stuff there is cos i didnt touch them, but i would leave yours at home:)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
new step sister went to thailand for 3 weeks, and loved it. she saw a fire show, and they were performing every night. also bought fire poi for £3 or something, so have fu-hun!

in state of metamorphosis

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Leave your good stuff at home, buy stuff there (but shop around for quality), use it while you're backpacking and give it to someone when you leave. You can't fly home with burned wicks anyway (well, not technically) so even if you took all your home stuff out there then you'd have to leave it behind frown

Airports are fun - as is thailand biggrin Have a wicked time (as I'm sure you will......) and take note of the guys at the end of khao Sarn Rd who spin every evening - they rock and are muchly helpful

kiss

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
There have been Many many many many threads on traveling with poi.....please do a search on flying with poi, and you'll find loads of info.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
personally, i've flown with new and burnt wicks for my poi, never had a problem, as long as its not in hand luggage you should be fine. dont know about staff and stix and other toys though.

just dont bring fuel with you, big nono.

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
ditto to what Spitfire says.

Here's a few of the threads to start you off...
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

Hope that's enough info to get you started.
Searching for a topic before starting a thread on it is kinda common courtesy. A thread like this is so common, there's a stack of information already out there for you to see.
Happy travelling. smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Indeed the people at the end of Kho Sarn road Rock. Span with them for a few days and exchanged much!

Now in Krabi trying to find a nice beach to spin on.

Anyone and hints as to where abouts?

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Would that be Meaow and Pat then?

Go to Koh Chiang. I left there about 5 days ago and at the time FireNix and Jools were there. Also Scott from Nottingham who was well skilled. Cassandra'll be there by Christmas and they have easily the best dancers I've seen in Thailand in the Nature bar. Koh Chiang was my favourite place in Thailand in the many months I was there.

If you insist on staying down that side Koh Phi Phi has loads of fire shows every night. The one in the Hippies bar tends to be better and there's also one in the Tiger bar. I wasn't there during high season so there may be even more.

Koh Phanang has loads too blah blah...

The park on the far side of ratakosin village, next to the river in Bangkok, has jugglers most nights.

happy travels...

smile
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1103012888)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
krabi?

try rai lay (spelling wrong).

fire shows in the gecko bar while we were there.

look for Ton Sai beach thee (you have to climb over a small mountain to get to it)

iits a sweeeetttt place. huts for a dolla

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey DSS, I was in Nature bar in April this year... those two who own the place are amazing... really nice.

I wasn't too keen on Koh Chang tho... mind you, I'd just left Cambodia... which was incredible. If you go into Cambodia, call down to Siahnoukville (southern beaches) and on Serendipity Beach ask for a guy called Titi. He's an incredible dancer... and he might even give free accomodation to firedancers biggrin

Have fun

Getting to the other side smile