PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So....I made a decision.
In my interactive shows I usually have someone come up and do a little spinning with me (non-fire that is).
I am going to start doing this more and more I think, after the shows and such. I am sooooo sick of people going "Oh that's easy"
Lately I have been handing them soft tools and letting them made arses of themselves, and even worse for me, I kind of find it humorous when they do.

Anyway, I think for every 15 minute public display show I do, I will spend 5 minutes working with the arrogant ones just to see how they do. If they do well, kudos to them, if not, at least they will shut up! (I hope)

And yes, I do understand their thinking it is easy is a testament to how smoothely I can pull it off. I get reminded of that by my lovely loved ones!

What do you think?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Very good idea.

Mass Destruction Worldwidemember
83 posts

Posted:
Great plan Pele...teach the ignorant ones!! Sure, when u watch a really good poi-er, it "looks" easy, but we all know better than that. However there are those in the world that just cant accept the fact that someone might be better than them at something...

As bad as it might be for me to say...Pele, you have the right to find ppl making an ass of themselves humorous...just remember, they brought it upon themselves!! Had they just asked in the first place rather then heckle or brag that they could do that all too easily, Im sure you wouldve gladly taken them aside and shown them!!

No worries, Id feel the same way. One of the biggest mistakes a person can make is pretending they know when they really dont have a clue!!

Cheers...

educate yourself - knowledge is power

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele,

I was practicing out in front of my house when one of my housemates wanted to try (one of the more arrogant ones). So I gave them to him and of course it took less than 15 seconds for him to smack himself good and hard in the huevos.

The result was spectacular: he yelled, then ran around in a circle for about ten seconds (not sure what he thought that might accomplish) before he collapsed on the ground clutching his groin.

Those people often provide better entertainment than the firespiners themselves.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol mike that's just funny.

Pele I like that idea and i think it's entertaining.

i would make sure you know their age though if it's an all ages venue ever. I always get approached by children in parks and such (and sometimes by teens) but i never want to let them try if i don't have their parents permission even if it's soft harmless toys what does that say about america?

mebbe you shoudl make video tapes....

we coudl haev a "funniest first time" contest

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
SOFT poi... Naaaaa...

I say:
TRIAL BY FIRE!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
How about Trial by Beaming Poi!?

After they knock themselves unconcious, sign their swollen forhead with a felt-tipped marker.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Good idea. Crowds also like to see people fail at something, so cutting a heckler down to size goes down well with you and the audience!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont want this to sound mean and please try to see the humor in this but I think it would be funny for one of us who you dont know or dont reconise came up and harassed you abit, just enough for you to put us on the spot, and then let loose. Then of course reveal ourselves and see how many shades of red or pink you turn depending on if you got angry or embarassed.

With my luck someone would do that to me so I think I'll avoid doing any public shows.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Dragonflymember
19 posts

Posted:
Funny.. That is how I started wanting to learn poi. A friend of mine handed me her "still warm" poi and I smacked myself in the head within 20 secods. It really made me very impressed at her abilities.

And so after a year of looking (my friend had left town) I found someone to teach me poi. YAY! And now I lend out my poi to show other people how hard it is, I usually guide them a bit, then tell them to take classes from my teacher if they want to know more.