NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to or organized any organized serious fire/poi/staff classes and what they were like.

I've learned everything I know off the internet and the street and wouldn't even know what a class would look like... But one might be fun to take.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
nyc there are plenty of work shops. in the past i almost started a class myself. i was looking for a place to have them and in research found a proffesional dancer whose family owned a dance studio. the cielings were too low and i wound up embarking on a voyage to teach at festivals and such. you're a teacher right? when living in arizona i found an add in the paper for a local night school looking for new subjects for their line up. i wound teaching a simple photography course for extra $. but why not poi. thanks for renewing my ideas. i think you should teach one too. some places to try. wellness centers(The Zin of Spin) dance studios gyms night schools create your own space outside and adertise yourself so many options really. you could have introductions first class and explain history, show vidios and pictures and get started on your students home made pair. or theres the option of buying poi wholesale and adding it to the cost of the class. then as classes procede teach the basics. then theres the almighty follow up course. introducing fire. fire safety being the main objective. oh with the end of each course we could have little productions!

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, I was more interested in taking them. I don't really got the time to teach them right now. Do you know of any on the east coast?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, my friend went to a general performing arts camp that happened to offer fire performing as one of its courses, which is where he orignally learned, but im not sure if the camp was open to all ages, id suggest e-mailing him and asking about it, as he is still in touch with the teachers i beleive, ill PM you my firends addy for privacy's sake...

[ 16 June 2002, 13:35: Message edited by: Whiffle Squeek ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
even though I've never been to one, my fire group is looking to set up a camp at burning man that teaches the basics of poi, staff, and other fire arts. I dont know how organized its gonna be, but we'll try anyway.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
if you ever get to texas we teach from beginners to advanced, in most forms of fire dancing, chains, staffs, blowing, etc. otherwise just wait til we get to your part of the country, and look me up!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info WS. Since I'm leaving for France in 10 days I won't have time to take any. I was more curious as to what the experience was for others.

Thanks though!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
NYC, I organise and give workshops at gatherings I go to (got one coming up this weekend - hooray for Yule ).

The first few I ran were the basics of staff and poi, I sometimes include fire fingers. They are fairly formulaic, set workshops, following a progressive learning path (e.g. learn how to do a figure 8 before moving onto a double etc) that builds on previously learned skills.

Last year the workshops were more along the lines of a 'poi clinic', where (if I was able) I'd help you work it out a move or whatever you'd been working on alone - as those that come to our gatherings have big differnces in skill level and are looking to learn different things. This personal approach seems to work really well.

Next weekend, the workshop will again be like the poi clinic, with a discussion on fire sculptures (as we will have used some bigs one in the ritual the night before and I anticipate some discussion on that).

You might want to try and find something like a poi clinic in your area?

Best of luck with your search