Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there again, can someone post what your plans are for that weekend so I can send round an email?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
just talked to the art director for the parade

the news is

we.... are... on...

and we is gettin paid what might be a handsome sum of money if all goes well.

i still have to confirm the names. not sure about the final number yet. should be seven all going well. if not its six. two drummers are sorted.

we have two weekends to rehearse. does anyone mind if you use at least some of the money we earn to buy materials? you get to keep the toys wink i'll find out later how much everything is going to cost.

so

WIGGLE!!!!!!!

hug's for everyone

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Cool. I cant make a rehearsal next weekend and not sure about the weekend after either.I'll try to sort something out.

I could meet up with lisa in dublin and learn and be ready.
i have no problem with money going on toys and material for anything.

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
cool, i'll make up the sticks and anyone that wants to keep them can cover that bit of the material. thats about 2 euro worth of wooden dowel wink the material for the flags might be a bit more though...

Love is the law.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I can see Lisa in pointy ears and cheeky grin biggrin

Camping on Tara sounds wonderful!!!!
Hope you get a video of your performance too

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yay we got the money!!!

I'll give all you guys a ring about the details.

bounce2 bounce2 bounce2

we need to have a name for our group before two o clock....

any ideas?

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
some name ideas from Fear-Tine

Skylight - Speirsolas
skyfire - Speirtine
Tinte ealaine- Fireworks
Lasair na tinte- blaze of fire
Solas na h-Eireann- light of Ireland
Dearbhaithe na Solas/tine - Declaration of light/Fire
Soilsigh! - light up!

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Hey there again, can someone post what your plans are for that weekend so I can send round an email?

clare, johnny has gone to ground it seems. haven't been able to contact him in a few days. he doesn't always have coverage out where he lives, even texts can take a day or two to deliver sometimes. will get on to him as soon as i can and get the rundown from him.

if however, the 19th of march is a washout, we'll relocate to mine. will not be able to sleep everyone, but most are from dublin anyway so can get buses/taxis home. anyone travelling is always welcome to crash.

you can always send one out now informing peeps of the idea and the date. we can always cross the t's and dot the i's at a later stage......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
So we might end up not going to Tara after all?! rolleyes ubblol

Righto... well, I'll send a mail round... I'm only coming down for the Saturday anyways... but I'll let everyone know that somethings happening in Cork and suggest they contact Aidan about it.

I'll try to get hold of Johnny myself too.

I'll send the mail tomorrow.

Thanks for that Lisa hug

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

some name ideas from Fear-Tine

Skylight - Speirsolas
skyfire - Speirtine
Tinte ealaine- Fireworks
Lasair na tinte- blaze of fire
Solas na h-Eireann- light of Ireland
Dearbhaithe na Solas/tine - Declaration of light/Fire
Soilsigh! - light up!

i think they're all quite lame (sorry redface) but you go ahead and choose one. if it's only for the parade i don't care what they call us.....

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:

So we might end up not going to Tara after all?! rolleyes ubblol

no, the plan is still to go to Tara, it's just that if we have heavy rain that weekend noone will want to camp, mid-March and all.....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
So should I drive again?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i dunno, im crap at naming things but if our name is going to appear in a program then it should be something nice and memorable. all the other performers are listed on the website...

i spoke to johnny and he's well up for it

smile

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hey guys, me and a friend from the circus schools coming down and gonna do abit of fire spinning (me - staff and poi, and Altja- poi and juggling, oh both gonna spin some fire clubs) also gonna do an acro - balance act at some point so itd great to meet up with people. Oh ado -p is it still ok to crash at yours????

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:

So should I drive again?

if you like. would be handy, tents and all. though the bus leaves you quite close.... see what you think....

i'll probably only be coming back up from cork the day before, and i reckon we should get out to meath early enough. don't fancy putting tents up in the dark. but we really should wait for johhny's go-ahead on this one, coz camping is officially forbidden, we can only pull this off coz he knows the caretaker.....

also, with all the ringforts and rath's such, the footing can be a little dodgy, especially in pitch dark. there are lots of steep slopes & deep trenches, ask Gnor smile hug

see here for any of you who've never been.

scroll down to almost the last pic, a long rectangular shaped trench. that's the "banqueting hall" that johnny reckons we'll have no bother camping in. we'll be hidden from everyone's view. we cannot camp atop the hill itself of course, as there will be most likely folks about when we arrive, and early morning strollers the following day....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
should be fine tainted.

its gonna be one crowded house.

i suggest we have a party

smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok lisa... I'm not so sure about the camping anyways... I mean it's probably prohibited for a reason and I wouldn't want us to add to the erosion.

But you and Johnny know better on that.

If we're still going to be filming, it would be better at dusk anyways... which would involve arriving at Tara around 3pm on the Saturday, getting some practice in and then doing fire at around 6/7. If we wait til it's dark you won't be able to see where we are, which will be pointless... and maybe we can head back into town afterwards.

You guys are going to be shattered.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Ohhhh I like parties ubbloco Its gonna be fun, Ive booked my time off work, got most of our at sorted and costumes so way hey.
Not sure how we are getting there yet...hopefully the circus mini bus is going so we could jump in there

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
wait till you see the place clare. you will not want to leave. the energy there is magical, quite indescribable ubblove

and there's always dawn too smile

i'm camping as long as there's no torrential downpours

and the reason it's prohibited is because it's illegal to pitch any more than 3 tents 'anywhere' in Ireland that's not a designated campsite. people camp out there for the solstice every year, in groups of 3 or less biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah fair enough then... I wouldn't want to be destroying any ancient heritage or anything biggrin

(also I don't have a tent... so that could be a problem!)

Dawn would be nice... but that's horrifically early in the morning isn't it?!!

ubblol

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
looking forward to finally meeting you tainted hug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Granted they are lame but i said i was crap at making names. smile

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
yeah I cant wait to meet other spinners I was so pissed at missin the last gathering......but Corks gonna be fun beerchug bounce2

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
dawn will be about 6.30 mid-March

don't worry, i'll wake you. i'll probably still be up biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
yeush. 6.30. in the morning. christ... i haven't seen that.... since we sat up til 7am in your house biggrin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fear-Tine

Granted they are lame but i said i was crap at making names. smile

no no no, didn't mean to be rude redface

fair play to ya though, you came up with more than i could. it was just that none of them really grabbed me. plus the fact that although some of us can pronounce the oul' gaeilge, lots can't, and it needs to be simple enough to allow correct pronounciation.....

methinks....

i'll just go back to grinning into space then shall i? biggrin ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
the solas one is alright

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Faberge you werent rude. hug

Will have to sit down and come up with something descent at a later stage. Think we should get someone arty. Anything will do at this stage.

Fair play aidan far all the work you've put into this smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
why not just "Solas"

it's short, easy to remember.....

me likes....

but then it's not my call.....

ado-pGOLD Member