Forums > Social Chat > first experience with a fire group

Login/Join to Participate

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
ok, so I finally found a fire group kinda in my area. and I have some questions about their professionalism.

when I got their they had a safety meeting. this meeting was to discuss how you shouldn't spin out on the grass with kero, (no shit) and how they had been practicing for three years, most people WITHOUT A SAFETY!!! they said they needed to start using safetys, but most people ignored the 3 experienced people there and still didn't use a safety. I only saw on person with a wet towel, who had quite a few people standing between him and the fire dancers. alot of these people hadn't been spinning for long (1-2 months) and were using fire, again, without a safety. now they were trying to use more safety then they had before, people were getting yelled at for no safety.

now my main question is, should I continue to spin with these people and try to add more safety there. or should I try (probably to no avail) to find another group in an area that already lacks in fire spinners that had more professionalism?

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
i'm kind of a touch and go person. so i would play with them when i wanted to and not when i don't. i don't use a safty. this my be cocky but i've never hurt myself and onlt come close to it once. the truth is YOU don't catch fire very easily and only the fumes from gas that gets on your clothes burns. if you ask me its a false sense of security, i mean what are they really going to do for you? i try to always spin in the sand so spreading isn't a problem.
however 1 saftey thing that irks me is people who spin without shaking of there extra gas
but in the end it is largely about what you are comfortable with

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I dont think the safety for yourself is so important, except to tell you if you're on fire and you cant see it, but living in a dry desert climate, watching out for stray sparks/embers is very important. also a couple of people didn't shake off their wicks and let them drip from the can to their burn location.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Don't say you can't burn. I know it's unlikely, but it can happen. I have a close friend whose skin caught on fire. She severely (First degree) burned all of her right arm above the elbow, and most of her right leg as well. No clothes, no fuel, and she was putting someone else out at the time. Don't think for a minute that fire can't hurt you, because not only can it and will it, but it is spiteful as well when you don't respect it.

There is always room for a freak accident.

Masterna, I would say that you should try to lead by example. Bring a few extra towels with you next time you go. Spend an entire evening spotting for people. If you have someone else come up beside you to watch the spinner, say "hey, would you mind taking over for just one second, please?" and then grab another towel and go spot someone else. When they come to give it back so they can spin, tell them to go ask someone if they would mind holding it and watching them just in case. It would be unfortunate for it to take an accident to make all of them realize they should have been doing it all along.

Catch them while they are new to it. I make everyone I get into fire make a pact with me that they will always exercise caution and practice fire safety before I will show them anything. And I will show them how to spot and have them spot for me a couple of times before they ever get to light up so they know the importance of it. The street goes both ways. I refuse to spin with someone who won't spot for me or anyone else. It's only fair.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
true, true shit can happen, jj torched his face and arm while spitting

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing