_Poiboy_
_Poiboy_

bastard child of satan
Total posts: 1113
Posted:why don't you have ones at the shop?
they'll look very pretty.
I'm hoping to get a pair if you'll make them.

Delete Topic

funken
funken

journeyman
Total posts: 92
Posted:hi i have a pair
i took the leds from the light stick at the shop from this site they are very bright and its a mix of blue and white light
i make a picture tonight and post it tomorrow
the only thing is you have to solder every led + pole to the + pole at the bateries and all the - poles to the - poles on the batery not led to led then to batery hope you understand
grets steve

Delete

_Poiboy_
_Poiboy_

bastard child of satan
Total posts: 1113
Posted:I understand but I suck at electronics so I don't want to blow away too much money...

Delete

funken
funken

journeyman
Posted:i dont understand that much in electronics and you only have to buy 8 light sticks from the shop
use them and when they are damaged build them in your beamers! ubblove
they are realy lovely

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:I belive,

Differnt colour LEDs use different amounts of power to make them light up. Red and Yellow are good colours as they dont use too much power. The problem with Blue LEDs is that they require more power, and due to this,wouldnt be able to run off AA betteries. If the batteries were changed, theymould have to be bigger, nad heavier, resulting in even more injuries.

Delete

funken
funken

journeyman
Posted:yes i thougt that to but they run with 2AA bateries and the bateries last about 30 hours

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Its probably a higher current that is needed to power the blue ones and not power instead then.

smile

Delete

vim
strange/r/st/-ish
Total posts: 142
Posted:fairly typical voltage specs.

White 3.2-3.6
Blue 3.2-3.6
Green 3.2-3.6
Red 1.9-2.3
Yellow 1.9-2.3

I run everything at 3.6v but if the LED looks brighter than it should I resist the current down a bit. Lots of people don't do this and the LEDs survive just fine.

HTH.
peace

Delete

thor
thor

Flaming Lesbian
Total posts: 181
Posted:size A23 batteries come from wal-mart for $1 each, they put out 12 volts and hold enough ma/h to run rat shack blue leds for a very long time if you resist them down to 3.5 volts. they're also very very small.

might be a consideration to avoid the heavy double a's

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Quote:
size A23 batteries come from wal-mart for $1 each, they put out 12 volts and hold enough ma/h to run rat shack blue leds for a very long time if you resist them down to 3.5 volts. they're also very very small.

might be a consideration to avoid the heavy double a's

Now, thinking back to my GCSE and A-level Physics... I thought you couldnt resist power (volts)? I thought you could only resist the current (amps).

Am i mistaken?

confused

Delete

Big Andy
Total posts: 186
Posted:I need to get my grandfather on this project. He's an electrical genius. I'm sure I could give him a pair of beamers and some rav'ns, and he could return them in the form of Rav'n beamers!

But seriously, someone with good electronics knowledge should be able to make light up poi balls that look cool. Other than ridiculously expensive stuff like aerotech makes.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Its a shame that noone around here can do anything like that....

wink

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Total posts: 1174
Posted:v = i * r

v = voltage (in Volts)
i = current (in Amps)
r = Resistance (in Ohms)

...oh, and for stupidly bright LEDs, take a look here (if you're in the UK). There's 4 blue each in my Poi :

Non-Https Image Link

...now imagine all that light concentrated into a 'lil beamer eek

Cake or Death?

Delete

Mr_Jedly
Mr_Jedly

Total posts: 195
Posted:this might help abit:

as above, V = I.R and I = V / R also R = V / I

LED's are diodes & as such use up voltage, and require a sufficient voltage to run. If the voltage is not high enough(blue: 3.2V), they simply will not work. at all.

as Vim said above, "Blue 3.2-3.6V"

so your battery output should be over 3.6Volts. If it is higher, either put two or more diodes in series or add an appropriate resistor.

if it is lower than 3.2V, then the diode will not light up at all. either add another battery in series or find a new battery.

the brightness of the LED depends on the current flowing through it. the voltage has nothing to do with the brightness(not directly).

you can change the current flowing through the LED's by adding different value resistors. you should allways have a resistor in the circuit. If you do not have any resistors, your batteries will go flat sooner than they should.

the LED's should not ever die on you. if they do, then you are either mistreating them or putting an insane amount of power through them.

i know that doesnt explain how to make them, but i hope it helps clarify a lil bit! ubbrollsmile

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:Quote:
Now, thinking back to my GCSE and A-level Physics... I thought you couldnt resist power (volts)? I thought you could only resist the current (amps).

Am i mistaken?

[physics mode]
power is measured in watts.
voltage in volts.
power is a product of current flowing through a component and the volatge across it.
so by decreasing the current you decrease the power. weather you add the resistor in seris or paralle with the LED depends on weather the voltage across the LED will be altered aswell...

[/physics mode]

thought id put you straight on that smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

loopy78
loopy78

Total posts: 7
Posted:Can somebody tell me how to make these? I had a couple of LED light sticks from the shop but they have been used & abused and only lasted a couple of nights (didnt even manage to get outside) a couple of the LEDs still work though and I would like to maybe buy some bright LEDs and make beamers like Fire Geek above as his picture is amazing.

Ps. I'm not to clever with electrics so can the instructions be for a Science/Maths dummy please ubbangel

Go on go on go on go on (Mrs Dingle from Father Ted stylee) biggrin hug

Delete

Mr_Jedly
Mr_Jedly

Total posts: 195
Posted:i suppose i can put this here then.
Vd = the voltage of the LED
V = the voltage of the battery your using
R = the resistance of the resistor you need
I = the current for the LED in milliamps

R = (V - Vd) x 1000/ I

put the battery in series with a LED and the resistor & maybe a switch, you'll be set.
if you want more LED's, just add in extra LED's in series. add up the voltage of the LED's & that = Vd.
eg: LED voltage = 2 Volts. recommended current = 20mA you have a 6V battery(batteries)
Resistance to be used = (6-2) x 1000 / 20
Resistance = 200 Ohms
done! cool

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.

Delete