PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In several places recently I have seen discussions about people who have had illnesses due to lighting up and smoke and fire breathing and just in general our arts are being blamed.

While I will be the first to preach safety and healthfulness, and anyone who has been on here a bit will back me on that, I am beginning to think what we do is being used as an excuse.

People get sick who do not spin. People get cancer who have nothing to do with fuels or fire. Some people are predispositioned. There are people who have been spinning decades under less health friendly circumstances that are perfectly healthy and happy.
Yup, what we do is dangerous on many levels, however, it should not be used as an excuse, because that makes the person spinning a whiner who I believe should not spin, especially if they feel it is so adverse effecting.

So, how often do you light up? Do you feel that the frequency of such things will compound your propensity for developing an illness which is fire art based?

I think a person who lights up every night has a better chance over all of getting a lung illness or whatever from inhalation, but there is no garuntee. I definately think the more a person lights up, in anyway, then the greater the risk they accept. I don't light up often. I don't need to. I can practice unlit with the same tools and know the feel and flow. I reserve the fire for dress rehearsals and shows. Practicing unlit elongates my health and I lose nothing in return.

What do you all think?
I don't know. I think I am just tired of hearing something so wonderful being used as a poor excuse.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
I learnt pretty quickly to stay away from the somoke that comes out of the fuel tin when you are dipping hot pois.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

Flambabemember
16 posts

Posted:
I light up weekly--sometimes more. Quite honestly, since I started spinning poi, I get sick less often due to the fact that spinning has gotten me in shape. It has also strengthened my knee after my injury/surgery a few years ago.

I guess, like you said, some people are predisposed to illnesses...everyone needs to take their own health and medical history into account before they try to point fingers.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I have definitely been getting sick more often since I started spinning. (long night with little sleep texting or talking with fiance)

And getting hurt more often since I've been unicyling everywhere. (a number of non-unicycle accidents).

Personally I think the dangerous sports make us less likely to get hurt while doing dangerous stuff and more likely to get hurt while walking on flat ground with no possible way of tripping over and hurting your arm!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Gee, I only spin fire outside, so the fumes have never gotten to me.

I also spend an hour and a half a day swimming (hard competitive swimming).

Other tips: Drink lots of green tea because it's got lots of stuff that's good for you. Spend time every day just breathing slowly and deeply. And get outside a lot.

Most important, DON'T SMOKE!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Here is a battle I've yet to conquer!
i love twirling, but hate smoking.
i do both, yet when i dissuade pplz from firebreathing, (ass cancer!) the irony from my smoking gnaws at me (lung cancer!)

Regret is the most terrible baggage to carry through life, but hey ya only live once, hey? If i remember correctly, each cig costs like 6.5 minutes of your life, on average! Quitting and going out 'enough' are ultimately irreconcilable to me. The best thing you can possibly to do is to not deserve illness.

I have not and never will firebreath. intentionally.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I also heard that every step you climb adds a few minutes, so the way I figure, If I climb more steps in my life than cigarettes I smoke, I'll be ok