Forums > Social Chat > Stereotypes of Fire Twirlers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I was walking along the sreet behind my friend carrying a pair of staffs. I heard a lady say "but, only circus people do that?!" I turned and said "We are circus people!"
i've beeen called a feral too. The Aussies will know.
Any others?

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Ah! Sorry everyone. Canadian eh? hahaha.
Right so every summer we have a great big 'busker' fesival where I live. It's a whole week long at the end of the summer. Performers of all different kinds come from all over the world and preform in our Downtown. After the performances people who were watching come by and put money in their hats. You dont have to, but most people do.
Note: in the future i'll try to keep the Canadian 'jive' to a minimal.

Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Don't worry Space Busking is an aussie term as well. We have a big buskers festival over Easter here.

Everytime I have pulled out my poi's and started twirling I seem to attract a crowd everyone always says wow thats awesome. I met my new next door neighbours out in the front garden because I was twirling.

Only had a few people tell me you should go join the circus!

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sorry, Space. For some reason, I thought I was reading "England" in your location. My bad.

You're one of those residents of the 51st state, I see.

So "busking" is street performing for money?

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey Catboy, there ain't nuthin' wrong aboot treehugging so long as it's kept strictly platonic! (some eucalypts are real hussies!)

Mikey, a busker is a street performer - kinda like a mime only with less makeup and beatings.

I think crowd response is based on skill. when your drunk, people can tell from such subtleties as your grace, slurred speech, level of self urination etc. when ur skillful, the reverence created will land you more applause (wow!) than heckling (pow!) Of course ya have ta take into account impossible crowds - like i wouldn't expect dollar bills being stuffed down me jocks for doublestaffing at a funeral.

mmm formaldehyde.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bender, does formaldehyde burn well?

<---I love that smiley. Good for all occasions.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
since I'm chinese and long time ago when i was spinning and practicing staff, most people asked me if i was son of bruce lee hahaha

and then i showed a guy my 8 wrap combo and he jumped out and told, kung fu buay! aare you from shangai? jajaja

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
quote:
but in england most of the time people just stare for a few minutes and then lose interest or cast you aside with "tree hugger" etc....
Sorry Tricky - Glad to say I haven't experienced this. I now spin glow and fire and all I've recieved are good responses. When I first started taking my poi to college people were falling over themdselves to learn, and now there's a whole group. Just last week we went down to the beach to spin and passers-by just stopped to watch and ended up staying for more than a few hours and even had a go with glow poi.

I think the only stereotypes I get are assumptions that I'm a bit 'alternative' ! I say thanks and take it as high praise - can't think of anything worse than being average.....

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
lol, seems to be me the old typical british stiff upper lip comes into play with spinning i think. but the charvs are the funniest, down the park i can literally time how long it is until someone screams "HIPPIES!!" and "nick her nunchukas man!"

rofl

i love britain

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey Ros! Nice call on the 'why would you want to be average' thing. I think that's the most important thing to realize when dealing with stereotypes.

I once had a wonderful teacher sit me down and say "Stace, I cant for the life of me figure you out. You're brilliant, you understand the concepts behind this stuff better than anyone in this class...but you dont do what the assignments ask, you dont seem to care what mark you get or what I think of your work."

I thought about it for a second and replied, "Take a majority of your A+ students. Most of them are so busy jumping through hoops that they've forgotten why. They're so busy trying to please someone that they haven't really learned anything. They're so caught up in trying to be something to anyone that they have not passion of their own. They seek their own value through the eyes of others. Now take a look at this, and how it is. Every person believes that the opinion of another is more important than ones opinion of himself. Yet if every person believes that his opinion is void of value, and it is others which matter...and at the same time others think the same thing...then it runs in a vicious circle. Each person is now putting his value in the hands of another person who has no concept of himself. It's a circle of negation."

I then said,"I have a many passions in my life. I'm dependant on myself. When those kids grow up, they're going to be very sucessful 'Yes Sirs'. I will be doing what I love, (luckily)making alot of money and i'll know who I am. Now tell me I should jump through hoops"

So this is a long (sorry!) story that really in essence can be applied to stereotypes. It really doesn't matter what others think of you. Live you're passion, and never let go of the spark (or flame!) that drives it.

Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I haven't been called any names that I can think of to date. And what's the big deal with the circus thing? I would just about give my left testicle for a chance to be in a circus. That would be fun! Generally, I don't get any kind of bad rap for spinning anything. Or maybe it's just the fact that I don't care about anyone's negative opinions besides my own. I can hear praise just fine, but anything negative doesn't register.

Actually, come to think of it, I did get into it about 2 months ago with these kids at an afterparty. The girl was a real gruff-voiced, opinionated b!tch, and the guy was a smug litle naysayer. Both had "holier-than-thou" complexes out the yang. They went on and on about f**k kandi kids and f**k trance and f**k glowsticks and f**k the people who spin them. When they got done, I laughed my ass off! Made them feel real smart, let me tell ya. These kinds of people will diss on anything they can think of to try to elevate themselves to a position of power. Why let them? I am a very passionate person about the things I believe in, and there is no one out there who can make me self-concious about what I do.

And Space? I completely hear you on that one.

V V V V V V V V V V V V V

[ 30 April 2002, 15:52: Message edited by: glowshow ]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
And F**k the nay-sayers,
cause the don't mean a thing!
Cause this is what style we bring!

Well it's morning, but last night's on my mind.
There's something,
I need to get off my chest.
But no matter what may come to shine,
the dream will always be mine!

All mixed up,
You don't know what to do.
Next thing you're turning around
to find the person is you.
Thought a freak might be the thing
but the first could be the last.
So just get off of you ass.

You've got to trust your instincts...and let go of regret...
You've got to bet on your self now Star...cause that's your best bet...

(Sick sick bit, just can't quit! The fact that you don't even know makes it fully legit)

~~Nick Hexum, 311
So much truth

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
dont knock circus! it is a beautiful modern artform and the performers have to be incredibly talented and comitted to what they love to perform what they do. so next time think before you stereotype the circus. on a better note, ive been called 'flame thrower', but more often than not people just go "got a light?"
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
As to the school thing, if i hadn't wanted to go to college so much i wouldn't haev put up with teh crap for a day. as it is, i still haev limits, and i hit them pretty fast. I did very little work, and often wrote bizarre papers about weird things and refused to study math. The only good thing is i got some decent teachers who understood pretty early on, and then i had them keep recommending me to teachers who wouldn't b.s. me too much... of course, now i don't even knwo if i cna afford college, after all that b.s....

as to spinning, most people seem to think it's pretty cool. the ones taht don't usually are acting really insecure anyhow. there's a little frosh on track who's going to get into nunchuka..(sp?)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
It makes me so happy that all these twirlers are so secure in themselves that are writing off people who stereotype. I agree fully, but I only put this thread up because I wanted to do the same by showcasing the stupidity of the stereotypist(?)
More, Gimme More...
Some people seem to think I'm a bit of a risk-taking maniac because I play with fire. Someone once asked me if fire breathing was bad for me. Me: "Yeah of course"
"Why do you do it"
Me: "You smoke don't you?"
I used to burn myself more when I worked as a chef. So many people think we must be wild people to do such dangerous things.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:

you don't stop playing 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playing...
lol
i haven't bumped into stereotypes because not alot of people know that i spin. i can say though that my friends are a "little" tierd of my talking about spining.

peace and love

[ 07 May 2002, 08:06: Message edited by: Acid ]

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
It depends on where you are poiing and what with. The other night, skateboarding home a block from the theater after hanging out with friends poiing, I got quite a few negative comments. 1 person said, "Oh, wow..." and then I got 3 or 4 "You damn raver!"s and 1 "Why don't you go play with your balls?" ...Only one mocking was deserved when I hit a bunch of seeds on the ground and fell off my skateboard (not on the ground though ) Guess I should pay more attention to the skateboard, but either one will hurt me if I am distracted. However, at the beach, people are usually cool, plus you get privacy and space...A few people thought it was really neat, it all just depends who it is that is watching you...

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
My favorite perspective came from an eleven year old who caught me out with my ribbon Rav'r Lights:

"What are those?"
"They're fairies. I put them in jars and spin them." (I'm so clever, right?)
"No they're not!"
"What do you mean? Yes they are!"
"No they're not. There's no such thing as blue fairies!"

And with that, she walked away.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

regulaemember
23 posts

Posted:
you might be a firetwirler if
*you think about stealing towels from an hotel
*you fold toilet paper in acordion (actually happened to me today lol)
*you ask your friends if they have old towels they can spare
*you care less and less about the clothes you wear knowing they will probably get sooth marks at the end of the day

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
...if you are happy to wear sooty smelly clothes on public transport...
...if you know far too much about Kevlar...
...if you're always checking out the prices of dog chains...
...if when you get your hands on a glow stick, you start taking the laces out of your shoes...
...if your hands do the weave when you dance...
...you think nothing of a little singed hair...
...when happiness is a 20litre fuel can and a kero bowser

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
Strange...
I Very Rarely perform in publuc... Ive only done it once, and it was fun, but i much prefere the privacy of my backyard or at a friends party or out doors on a walk or at a bbq with friends. My brother once told me i should join the circus, but he was talking about both of us, cos hes been picking up staff (without fire) and it was a little joke.
About performing...
I definately do not do fire to perform, and i actually feel really uncomfortable with an audience that i dont know. I twirl as a kind of mediation. A deeper look into myself. A way of spending time with myself. When theres an audience, i dont have that intense interaction with myself. I love twirling on my own...

[ 12 May 2002, 23:15: Message edited by: sarah... ]

Fire... A bushmans telly

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
i dont know about steriotypes.
i havent been doing poi for that long, but ive never had a -ve response. the only times ive spun in public ive had people come up wanting a try, but maybe thats becasue it was in camden.
my parents are very supportive of me doing poi, as is the rest of my family. the only people who have ever had a problem are my college friends but only in the sense that its another 'weird' thing that i do.
the point it that despite any steriotypes, insults, or anything else you are given, you know yourself and that youre doing something you love to do (ie spinning), and people either except it or they dont, thats their choice, it doesnt mean your anyless amazing people. . .but thats just my opinion
mwahx x lolli

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
I'm a siaze 16, 5'2" Goth and I got into twirling through a frind on this site!! I started fire last NYE and so far I@ve managed to get 4 goths into it...it's so funny watching peoples face, trying to look uninterested yet watch what's going on-and when you ask them if they want a go, they jump at the chance! My friend got a beginners package on friday and we were in a pub garden spinning, I was teaching him first moves. We caught the attention of a 6 year old girl, who was entranced, and one of his friends had a go and said afterwards she was coming straight to here to but some!! Raaa! I will assimilate all my friends!

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

poipixiemember
53 posts

Posted:
i'd have to agree with the others who said that Aussies dont seem to be quite so sterotypical about it. From my exp. most people just say how awesome it is and want to have a go. its an amazing way to meet people too! i think that if u have poi or staff etc, people see it as a reason to come up and start talking, i rekon thats half the fun! so, in general its all been good. the only thing i can remember is when i was practising in the street trying to nail the btb weave and i was hitting myself all over the place, this guy walked past and said ' you dont enjoy doing that do you?'. i guess it must've looked pretty strange but i tried to explain that its all worthwhile once you get it, and that u get so focused on figuring it out that after a while u dont even feel it...he just looked at me strangely and kept walking...never seen him since

Love, kisses and magikal wishes, *SaM*

--*SaM*--

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
There are stereo types for spinners? my first performance to a group of sunday school kids (aged 5 - 12) in a basement, wearing face paint and spinning with glow sticks.......

i only WISH i was a circus freak or a raver.... my town is too small for me to be anything but the chick next door who hits herself in the head aLOT with tennis balls on chains...... wish i was cool! ROFL..... Poi should be illegal for clumsy ppl like me...... `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
sterotypes of twirlers, dreds, dog on string, dirty fingernails and special brew.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

Page: