DeepSoulSheep
DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2617
Posted:Can anybody shed some light on bruxia? The art of grinding your teeth while you sleep. From what I've found on the web it seems to be caused by stress ubbcrying, anger frown and is more prominant in more competitive Type A personalities.

It also seems to be more prevalent in kids confused
I can't seem to find much more than that though.

My girlfriend has taken to the sport and it doesn't make sense.
She's not a high strung person, maybe stressed but who isn''t and she meditiates A LOT. A only mention the meditating as it's recommended as a solution, presumably as stress reduction.

Any body have any ideas or anything cause she's quite upset at this stage cause it's a pretty regular thing... frown

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete Topic

spritie
spritie

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2014
Posted:Sorry I don't have any advice for how to get rid of the problem, but to avoid doing damage to her teeth, she could try wearing a sports mouth guard when she goes to sleep.

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:Go to a doctor. But generally, a mouth guard is the treatment.

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

pounce
pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
Total posts: 9831
Posted:ya, go with the mouth guard.

i don't grind (yet) but i clench my teeth. eventually my dentist said it'll probably lead to grinding. so i wear a mouth guard sometimes at night. it's always due to stress with me, and that's usually my clue that i'm stressed. so your gf might just not know some of the stress she is carrying. it can be subconscious, cause that's what i do. i generally keep myself fairly relaxed, but sometimes i hide it so well that it's hidden from me. i finally figure it out thru the physical symptoms i have.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Total posts: 5276
Posted:wave

wow I used to grind my teeth when I was a young kid. I ground them down to like a 50 year olds teeth when I was like 10. It's not helping me now I can tell you.

I got a funny splint and it stopped. Shame my mum didn't notice it earlier.
Kids I think have funny ideas of stress. I mean, it's pretty hard to be stressed at ten.

So yeah... wave

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Rixatrix
Rixatrix

paranoid of gov't conspiracies
Total posts: 217
Posted:i clench my teeth too but i didn't know that it led to grinding, i sure hope i don't ever grind my teeth, the noise of it alone would make me go insane, i do wear a mouth guard once in a while tho.

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:I'm a serious teeth clentcher when I sleep, to the point that I have fractured several of my molars and now have many gold crowns in the back of my mouth because of it. My other teeth exhibit wear more indicative of someone 20 years older than me.

About all you are ever going to learn about it is that it is stress related. Go with the mouth gaurd for sure, or her teeth are going to be costing a lot of money not too far into the distant future. It can also cause deformaties of the lower jaw in the form of bony potrusions, though this is not so common (though I do have an ex-girlfriend with this problem from clentching) In the states, dentists will want to charge you $400+ for something that looks like a retainer after you get your braces out. A mouth gaurd for boxers, rugby, or american football players is about 50 times cheaper, and does the job just as well. The only downside is that it is a lot bulkier and uncomfortable. When I was in south africa, I had a dentist make a custom sport mouth gaurd for me for about $25, which has about half the bulk of the ones you buy in a sporting goods store and I am MUCH happier with.

It seems to me that clentching and grinding is habitual, at least in my case. If I wear the guard for a while, I can break myself of the habit of clentching for a while - sometimes months at a time. But then when I start with the long term stress again, it will come back. As soon as I wake up with aching jaw muscles one day, I go back to wearing it.

I also find that I clentch my teeth during the day during stressful situations. After say a confrontation with some drunken boob in a bar, I'll come away with my jaw aching after two minutes of serious compression. Some people carry their stress in their shoulders, some in their attitude, I carry mine in my jaws.

oh yeah - I only figured out that I'm a night clentcher about 10 years ago (I a 34 now), but in retrospect, I can see that I've been doing since I was a child, as I remember having tired and aching jaws when I was little.

On the upside, most people with this condition have very strong and lovely jaw lines! ubblove

EDITED_BY: vanize (1077782565)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:Quote:

Kids I think have funny ideas of stress. I mean, it's pretty hard to be stressed at ten.

If you ask me, being a child is extremely stressful. the kind of stress they have to deal with is more basic than an adults, and most people learn to deal with it effectively by the time they get into their late teens or early twenties and move on to more complex types of stress, but I would rather deal with adult stress than child stress.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

pounce
pounce

Posted:ya i do the same as you vanize. it's such an unconscious thing. all of a sudden in the middle of the day i'll realize i'm clenching. i carry my stress very physically. i get acid reflux, tension heachaches, i clench my jaw, my shoulders, neck, and back tense, i get insomnia, can't eat. it's horrible. and clenching can sometimes lead to (or be the cause of) TMJ. which is NOT a fun thing to have. my jaw clicks every single time i open it.

i got a mouth guard from a sports store for like $2. you boil it in water and then put it in your mouth and clench, and it forms around your teeth. but like vanize said, they are bulky. if it ever gets really bad for me, i might get one made at the dentist, but for now, the bulky one is good enough.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

rbmnyc
rbmnyc

lurker
Total posts: 194
Posted:I can't believe that THIS is what I'm posting about first ... but I've been grinding my teeth since before I can remember - and I always had facial pain and neck pain. I tried a mouthpiece, but I would just spit it out .... finally, saw a shrink, and he prescribed a mild muscle relaxer - called Atavan or Lorazepam (name brand or generic) - it worked like a miracle. I never knew for my whole life that your neck and face weren't supposed to hurt ....

if you've got health insurance, it's worth checking out.

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:I grind my teeth during the day. I have no idea if I do it during the night too.

I've only recently noticed it and it's something that pops up occasionally when I'm busy with something, it's like I need a small consious effort to not let it happen.
I also find it happens more often when I'm trying not to bite my fingernails or crack my fingers.
For the time being, I've taken to chewing gum and playing with silly putty to give myself something to do instead - I find both help loads.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

Tao Star
Tao Star

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1662
Posted:i don't grind, but i do click them in time to music. Guess i'm ralaxed, but just stressed enough to have good rhythm.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Delete

pounce
pounce

Posted:ubblol!

**giggles**

Delete