Forums > Social Chat > Mention on the Early Show

Login/Join to Participate

Tobster85member
4 posts

Posted:
I am off for spring break, and I was watching the Early Show and they were featuring a shark attack victim. His leg was amputated(sp) from the knee down. After they interviewed him, the hosts were talking about him and they mentioned that he was a "fire spinner" and that he hopes to start doing that again. I thought that was pretty neat tongue. Too bad they didn't mention HoP! grin-Tobs

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
whoooaa..really?..thats kinda cool...now he can figure some way to attatch a third poi to his leg that got amputated and spin threee poi at one time!!! that would be soooooo cool!!! o well just a thought..i hope that no one takesoffence to this..god knows how touchy some people are...p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
Personally, I took great offense at your comment. I mean, Jebus Christ! The man is obviously saddened greatly by the loss of his leg. I think any comment made attempting to extract a positive or humorous angle is obviously made in poor taste.Also, this comment, "..god knows how touchy some people are..." is a slap in the face to any with a touch of empathy. wink-------------------Wren"And that, my friends, is condensed evil."

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Wren, "Jebus" is actually spelled with two e's------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
heh, if you cant laugh at it waht can you do???if you cant make the best of something, its always gonna be the worst...so if by twirling an extra poi with his ummm limb, adds to his twirling ability, go for it, you gotta look for the good in everything...and poo to the pessimists...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
my brothers taught a one legged man to play hacky sack. He ended up being really good at it too. So I see no reason why a one legged man can't spin three poi.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Praise Jeebus! If you can't laugh at the adversities that life throws at you, then what joy is there to be pursued? Doh!

Fear the evil monkey!

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
As an minor amputee (missing little finger right hand, right hand ring finger don't work worth a darn) I can tell you that after a while you learn to laugh about it and joke in the way that we, as friends, joke about things. But at this point in his life, and probably for the next year or two, the shark bite victim will be going through a lot of ups and downs emotionally. If spinning Poi is what he focuses on to help his therepy (and there will be LOTS of physical therepy) then god bless him for having something to focus on.I remember after my accident I spent 18 days in the hospital having 5 surgeries (and 2 more after I got out of the hospital). One day stands out in my mind. I was doing hydro-therepy (basically learning to move my hand muscles again while it's immersed in a whirlpool to help ease the pain) I'm a guitar player and use to be a piano player. That day in hydro-therepy I was able (finally!) to touch my thumb and first finger together. At that moment I knew that I would once again be able to hold a guitar pick. I broke down crying right there because I knew that my life would go on, modified, but with the same passion for music that I always had.So if spinning fire is what this man can latch onto as his focus point, then I wish him all the luck in the world. That's what's going to help him get through the pain and frustration of learning to live his life again.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I'm right there with ya Parsec. I'm missing my right index finger, so I use poi finger straps on the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. The only time I would take offense is if some person assumed that I was "saddened by my loss" as if it somehow lessened the person I am. As it may take the young fella awhile to adjust to life without a limb, hopefully he'll come to appreciate life and its wonders even more.**Only thing that pisses me off is that I can't make a Peace sign anymore**

Fear the evil monkey!

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
Only thing that pisses me off is that I can't make a Peace sign anymore
Yeah. I can't do the Star Trek "Live Long And Prosper" sign.But I love telling people "Dude! That Was Awesome! Give me a high four!"

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089