flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I just had a blood test frown Although the doctor/nurse was very gentle the fact that they took 4 vials of blood has made me feel, quite literally, drained.

anyone have any advice they can offer to help me get through the next 10 or so hours of work? I have a really busy day but I just wanna sit and do nothing.

Any horror stories with blood tests to share?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Last time I attempted to give blood the lady couldn't find my blood pressure and when she finally did she told me it was too for me to donate, than handed me a "High Blood Pressure: The Silent Killer" sheet. Take into account I'm 22, 5'7", and 135 pounds, plus fairly active. My history has always been extremely healthy as well, I'm never sick and have always been able to donate blood.

So yeah, not quite the same, but still kind of frightening to me!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I had blood taken and the site bruised soooo bad I couldnt bend my arm... it was purple and yellow.. taking into consideration that I had four needles taking blood that day
and whenever I have drips (im at the hospital alll the time) my vein tissues and starts to harden and gets all sore and lumpy... tis sooo gross ubbcrying

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
needles... *faints* ubbloco

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Quote:

needles... *faints* ubbloco

heheh - I hear that!

I'm such a baby when it comes to needles, yet here I am with several piercings and a tattoo. go figure.

although after I had my tongue pierced the other day I had to have a bit of a lay down - ears start to whistle, you can hear the blood rushing to the head, vision starts to go dark....

silly really.

I'm such a baby that when I had an operation a couple of years ago, they put me to sleep with gas like they do with children. I'm certain that they gave me lots of nasty needles when I was passed out though. Geez that gas was nice....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
drink some juice, eat some high sugar, high carbs stuff (popcorn, cookies, cake). also don't try to lift any heavy stuff. for your next meal, eat a solid meal, but not too big. and lots of water.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I know, I had my chest tattoo'ed and I was fine... just focused on the roof... but because I saw what they were doing when I had my nipple done... down I go... *faints again* ubblol

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Spanner... ouch! hug

i used to be terrified of needles, cried everytime i had em. But as a wildlife carer i had to be immunized against lyssavirus (sorta like rabies in bats in australia) which meant one painless needle per week for three weeks. By the end of it i was cured!! biggrin
Although i am still putting off getting that 'rusty-nail' vaccination, which is silly cause i work with horses and always walk around with no shoes (goddamn can't think of the name of the vaccination!! madMind blank, but i know it hurts! Used to be called lock jaw?).
They won't let me give blood cause i have spent to much time in England (mad cow's ya'll are! ubblol) and last time i went to be tested for malaria after a trip to PNG they accidentally tested me for HIV!

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
tetanus

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have huge veins that are no problem to tap.

Furthermore, I got allergy shots (three shots, once every week) for ten years when I was a kid. So needles absolutely don't faze me.

However, Flash, if you're feeling drained after giving a bit of blood, maybe you need to get more iron in your diet. If you're a vegetarian, the easiest way to do this is to take iron tablets, but be warned that you need to take fiber supplements with them, too, or you'll be sorry!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yes iron is good but iron tablets are no fun what you need is
GUINESS
loaded with iron and guinessy goodness, its what me and my dad always did after giving blood.
its good

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I have big veins too, so it usually is no problem getting blood out of me hassle free.

However, there was this one time I had severe tonsilitis (despite having had my tonsils out like 13 years earlier) where I was so ill and my throat so swollen that it was physically impossible for me to swallow. After getting dehydrated for a few days, I wound up in the hospital. To rehyrdate me, they of course tried to give me an IV. Probem was, there was so little fluid left in me that it was impossible for the nurse to find a vein. After she stabbed me in various places about a dozen times, I was feeling rather queazy about the whole thing. She went to go find the head nurse, who was supposedly more experienced, but it took that one at least 20 tries (not really sure, as I got to the point where I was trying to block out the whole experience). She eventually started poking and digging around under my skin in an effort to hit any blood vessel - she did this many times in different holes. A doctor came in, but was reluctant to try at all. They finally managed to get it into something in the back of my hand, which was almost completely raw from stab wounds by then.

I didn't think it was possible when I arrived at the hospital (I had previously decided I would rather be dead than feel that ill for another day), but that whole episode took it too a whole different level of hell. And I'm quite sure I would have puked all over the poor nurses had I had any liquid in my body to spare or enough bodily strength to do so. If I hadn't been delerious from fever, I'm sure I would have insisted they stop. On the upside, I didn't bleed at all from all the IV holes they put in me - no liquid means you don't leak!

That episode, some of the patterns from the fever induced halucinations, sweat drenched bedsheets, and thinking one night that my father would find me dead in my bed the next morning are about the only things I really remember about that week.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Guiness is good for you beerchug

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Guinness rocks! biggrin

Yea, I gave 3 vials before and then went to the toilet and my vision colapsed and I had to sit down.....not nice at all....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would like to knwo why you didnt go to lighnting for your bllod test? ubbidea

im sure he could have done it for you much cheaper than at the hospital? ubblol

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i was young and foolish when i went for a blood test, went got some blood take around 4 samples, and then went outside, and tried to skate home!

ubblol

it was so funny i got 100yards down the road foell over, and three nurses carried me back in, going YOU SILLY BOY!

Step (el-nombrie)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I used to be a little squeamish about needles. But recently my neighbors went away on vacation and needed someone to give their cat dialasis (sp?) every other day. I figured it was a good way to either completely traumatize me or get over my squeamishness.

Indeed chasing a cat around, holding it down, jabbing a needle in the back of it's neck, holding it down for 4 or 5 minutes while an IV drips into it's neck and then pulling the needle out gets you pretty toughened to needles. By the 4th time I was doing it while watching TV. smile

[Yes Dr. Lightning, I know it technically wasn't an IV since it wasn't in a vien but I thought that people would better understand if I said that... it's just under the skin but still needed to be jabbed in a ways at a certain angle.]

Unfortunately, I did such a good job that now I've been placed in charge of all of the cats while my neighbors and friends are away. What can I say? Cat's love me. It was even purring during the last few treatments... biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What can I say? Cat's love me. It was even purring during the last few treatments...

umm

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok needles don't bother me but suddenly this conversation is making me squeemish umm

**giggles**

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Quote:

tetanus

Yeah, that! spank

Thanks Pounce.
hug

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
i've given pints of blood several times when donating and i've never had a problem but one time when i was giving blood at school there was this really big football player guy next to me was trying to give blood also but the lady couldn't find his vein and they kept pricking him over and over and he started crying, this really big guy next to me started crying i felt so bad for him and it was scaring all the ppl that were next.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
My mother occasionally practises cannulation with me. I have ideal veins in my feet, apparently.

Had a typhoid immunisation a while back, I could feel the vaccine working its way through my veins as a cold streak down my arm.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

- cat -member
48 posts

Posted:
ack ..

I don't mind giving blood *that* much.. but 4 viles would definitely leave me wayyy sleepy. I would definitely make a feedbag of sugar for myself if I were you.

I remember just before going under on my last general anaesthetic though...

They'd just injected the sleepy juice into the cathatar? in my hand and my heart started to fully go nuts and I felt like screaming - was *fully* suddenly terrified eek for some reason and then all was black.

Needless to say I'm not super keen on doing that again... makes me shiver thinking about it..

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Flash, ya wuss!!! I didn't even flinch when they did mine!!!

wink

Actually, I used it as an excuse to make people be nice to me for the whole day. biggrin

hug talk soon Mistress Flashfire

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone (except Rozi tongue )

I few of the Irish travellers at work suggested Guiness too. Apparently they give you a pint of it after you donate blood in Ireland?

I ended up listening to what my body needed and ate some red meat. Felt much better for it but now I know I'm not eating well enough to maintain strict vegetarianism. Iron tablets (with some fibre, eh Lightning hehehee) are they way for me to go until I find the motivation to resume my gourmet vegetarian cooking. I'm defininately anaemic at the moment - have bruises all over me! need more Vit C and iron.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire, if you're bruising, then you probably need Vitamin B-12 in your diet to help you make more platelets to help you clot. Also, vitamin K is important for producing the clotting proteins in your blood, but vegetarians have no problem getting enough of that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura