Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
In watching the COL and COL2 videos for the gazillionth time, the following question came to mind: how long have each of the people on the videos have been spinning?I guess I was particularly interested in the winners of each video, but also the others as well.Could that information be added to the video cover, along with name, hometown and email?Just wondering- Cheryl

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to add that, even though someone has been spinning for 10 years does not mean he/she SHOULD be better than someone who has spun for 2 years. It's about practice time and such. I've always hated when people have ask me "How long have you been spinning?". It usually means someone is trying to match up to you or find an excuse for not being as good etc etc. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
It can also go the other way though,like when I did devil sticks the other night out at St andrews I got lots of comments saying how cool it looked and when a girl asked me how long I'd been doing them I said 6 years, she was like "yeah well it shows, I thought you might have said 3. *blown away with a sneaking suspicion of lies*

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
In contrast I've been spinning for about 6 months and when I'm approached with the same question, people often say that it seems I've been spinning for years. Granted I practice alot and make it a point to produce at least two differnent Moves/combos/wraps every time I spin; I quickly enhance my arsenal of moves. So it just goes to show that if you set your goals high you can accomplish anything. To check out some of the moves I do check out Signature Moves on the moves post.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

Let us Light up the Night

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
i have only been spinning for about 2 months now, i love it!!! i spin at least 5 hours a week, if not more...i work by my self so i have alot of time to spin if i feel the need, so i have progresed fairly quickly. i have friends that have been spinning for about 6 months and they arewanting me to start teaching them moves...lol...even though im still learning moves from them... *cough*TONEMAN*cough*...lol...when i ask someone how long they hae been spinning i am not trying to make excuses for not being as good as them, i just like to know how i am progressing for myself. i like to know that when i go to a club and see someone spinning, better than me, and ask them how they did those moves, it usually just comes up in the conversation. well now that i have spent so much time actually talking about it now im gonna go spin...p.l.u.r.r.xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
heh 5 hours a week is nothing!For the first like 6 months of me spinning, i'd spin 2-4 hours a day and then went to the clubs/afterhours on the weekends and spin for another 5-8 hours.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I know that Sage has been at it about 5 years, and that's her job--fire-performing is her main form of income.Now, she doesn't know 5x more poi moves than someone who's been at it for one year, but there's a lot more to it than that--the ability to improvise, to dance, to sell the routine, etc. Plus she is somewhere between OK and excellent with most of the other fire-tools you can name.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I percieve fire art from a more social perspective. I enjoy the chat after the twirl more than the performance itself cos twirlers are consistently awesome people. Most are very kind people too. Granted, a handful sometimes feel insecure enough to emphasise faults in others' technique or justify their own limitations - all of which are immaterial.It is in that sense that the most important traits that I personally find in twirlers is their selflessness for the twirling community and their modesty. There are enough twirlers around to wow you, but the best ones are the ones that make good mates too.Not too good at stayin' on topic now, am I? :P

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always