MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, so today is Christmas and I got my first set of Kevlar wicks (cathedral). Previously I only used towel wicks that only last about 2 - 3 burns. The first burn was always the best of course because the flames were the largest and it lasted the longest. I was wondering if the same thing applies to Kevlar wicks in the sense that the first burn is always one to savor, even though the wick lasts a long time? Or do they actually get better with a bit of age?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Nope... first few burns aren't so great, don't bother saving them for a good occasion... on the contrary, actually, I'd soak them and light them 3 or so times before you do any real burns... I found my burns peaked at the 7th burn and beyond, without a noticable degrade in quality until far after my 100th burn. Don't worry about "wasting" a burn, as impossible as that is smile

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hope its not too late..... Don't forget, You'll want to soak them wicks for at least 15-20 min and shake them out real good before ya go to it...... (lots of reasons why)

one love

One Love, Dont forget.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
couldn't disagree more with either reply actually ubbangel

to me the first burn is always the best, deflowering a toy so to spaek is lovely.

it frequently tells you how the ensuing relationship is going to be.... wink

and the whole extra soaking thing.... well it's been argued in lots of places so i wont go into it here..
but for me a few minutes rather than 20seconds is fine, 20 minutes doen't make all that much difference....

espescially with concertina(cathedral) wicks...

biggrin

i realise this is probably a bit late... but hey.

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Bluecat: I was simply saying on a technical level, not an... erm... emotional... level. Your first burn is a great experience, but the flames are smaller and don't last as long, in my experience. I've done first-burns on 4 different pairs of wicks, and on every single one the first burn kinda sucked.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
pity ubbcrying

so here's to the next one being lovely beerchug

R ubbangel

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
when i make a stick for the first burn i usually light the wicks and just hold it still and watch the way the flame turns the wicks from that yellowy kevlary colour to blackness kind of a bringing the staff into the world of fire right of passage smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've found that for the first 10 or so burns, a new set of wicks takes longer to soak (a few minutes) and is more stubborn to light, especially with lamp oil. But I also find that the first few burns last the longest.

Once broken in, a wick only needs a quick dunking (maybe 10 seconds) and will light pretty readily. Once a wick is used hard (100 burns or so), it will get ratty around the edges and have shorter burn durations.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy