Page: ...
vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Well, since so many people had their intro threads wiped out and are starting new ones, I figure I could use these events to start my own, ultra-untimely intro, seeing as how I've been around HoP for like 3 years.

So then:

Name: Vance

Alias: Van, Vanize, Add, Zaidou (my 'African' name) ... oh, and I almost forgot, Pixie Banger! (don't ask if you don't really want to know).

Location: Potchefstroom, South Africa (WSW of Jo'berg) presently. Grew up in Houston, Texas. Most of my Family lives in Austin, Texas. I'm moving to Berlin, Germany in January for 2 years. (ok, been in Berlin for a year now)

Favourite Toys: sailboats (been sailing 29 years), surfboards (been surfing 19 years), poi (3.5 years) (almost 5 years now)

Hobbies: Too many - sailing, surfing, poi, scale models, travelling, collecting stamps and paper money from places I visit, Dungeons & Dragons, SCUBA diving, tropical fish, reading, painting, drawing, getting projects ready for Burningman, ....

Your favourite website/s: www.burningman.com

Music: I'll listen to most anything except modern country music. My favorites are classical (e.g. vivaldi, beethoven), trance, classic rock (led zep, hendrix, beatles), and what used to be called alternative (foo fighters, pixies, whale, ...)

Movies: blade runner (director's cut), strictly ballroom, band of brothers (more like a mini series I guess), amelie, ... er, I know there are more, but I can't think of them just now.

Books: mostly sci-fi, fantasy, and history.

Philosophy: Technological Gaiaism, Quantum Fatalism

Favourite Colour: Burgandy ( sorry Alice!)

Favourite Quote/Saying:

From a movie: "Gentleman, we have a blind date with destiny, and she just ordered the lobster!" - the Shoveler (Mystery Men).

From literature: "The great tragedy of life is not that men perish, but that they cease to love" - W. Somerset Maughn

From personal life: "I was just telling Sara K. that I have no particular segway between being stone cold sober and really wasted. Then she kicked her glass of water across the room..." - Zouwera (Christmas day, 2002, west africa)

So that is that. We'll see if it goes anywhere, eh?

EDITED_BY: vanize (1111489303)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
oh, have fun in istanbul, that'll be awesome
we were thinking that we'd be in berlin on the 11th and maybe stay for 2 nights then on to prague, and since this may be our only opportunity to see ya while you're still in berlin i thought that would be cool
so
we shall see what happens

people are people

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Hi lasersurge!

I sent you a reply email. did you get it?

-v-

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
It's your birthday?

Ooooh!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
bounce beerchug bounce

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
damn, that little thing pops up early. The b-day is tomorrow (the 1st), but I guess Happy B-day wishes are in order now, so I hope you have many happy, happies tomorrow! hug beerchug spank kiss

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
a wishbone y'see... cos you're going to turkey....

Meh

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
Hey i got your reply thanks!
oh wishbone... i get it now, since you've spelt it out Cantus. I thought oh wishbones, did they originate in Turkey, and i guess they kinda did, and chickens too ubbrollsmile
So if you're not too tired from your istanbul experience it would be so totally awesome to come to your place. Mieke and i wanted to go to instanbul in November, but we've got somewhere to stay in Crete, so that's quite cool too biggrin

people are people

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Vanize, these two peopel have stayed with me more than probably anyone else in London. THey are fantastic guests and I would have no problem in letting Dylan have my babies. That goes for you too kiss

Take care of them for me! bounce

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oh I forgot about the HoP time zone!
Thanks Spritie.

Ok, well you get 2 happy birthdays now, Vanize.
errrrr.... HAPPY PROPER BIRTHDAY!
bounce beerchug bounce

Have fun in Turkey.
kiss

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Vanize!!!!! hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
thanksforthe birthday wishes guys!

it was a pretty hectic day - no birthday lazing around for me!

buttomorrow I´m off on vacation with Spritie, soI´m just going to pretend THAT is my birthday.

lasersurg: I´ll PM you my cell number. drop me a text (if you can) and we can keep in touch that way while i´m in turkey. otherwise imay be online once or twice before I return.

god... I´m 36 years old now...how did that happen?!?!?

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Thought I'd leave an update since I haven't been around much lately.

T'was great having Dylan (Lasersurg) and Mieka (sp?) here (email me when a good time to visit Belgium might be!) right on the tail of 10 days touring Turkey with Spritie. now, a week later, Rouge Dragon will be settling into my flat for a few days. She'll have it to herself most the time though, since tomorrow morning I am off to Boulder, Colorado for 10 days. I'll be looking for job there since I am almost certainly leaving Berlin come mid-January.

And the same huricanne that is bearing down on Spritie right now might very well destroy my storage unit in Houston. Actually, I won't care about most the stuff, but things like photo albums would be a sad loss. So cross your fingers for me and Spritie.

-v-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Crossing my fingers!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

god... I´m 36 years old now...how did that happen?!?!?

eek No Way!!! You really are 36? To answer your question about HOW it happened. That one is easy ... you blinked.

Gidg

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
*bump*
kiss

Hey sweetie, I heard a rumour you could be moving back across the pond?
Boulder, eh? Hmmmmmmmmm....... *smirk*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yup!

looks like I will become a semi-permanent addition to the Boulder (or perhaps Denver) population sometime around January 19th.

Berlin has been good (though i still don't like my job here), but it is time to put some work into my romantic life, and that is easiest to do in Colorado.

so smirk away!

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
if anyone is interested in what I am (hopefully) doing in March, go here , or [Old link]

tres cool!

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok, so it is pretty much oficial now - I am moving from Berlin back to the states on January 19th, which means i leave here in 13 days! I have too much to do before then, but i am really antsy to get out of this horrible German weather and be with my lovely girlfriend in Boulder.

Probably the saddest thing about leaving Germany is that i won't have easy access to English or Dutch gatherings anymore, and also not being as close to the other performers i've gotten to know around Europe. You all have been awesome, and I hope you'll each be able to accept my open invitation to come visit me in Colorado whenever you like. The mountains there are increadible - excellent skiing in the winter, gorgeous hiking in the summer, and sunny weather year round. also not a bad place to go thru on your way to Burningman...

that is a serious invitation - not just me trying to give a polite goodbye.

anyway, i've been exeptionally busy the last couple months dealing with the end of this chapter of my life, and haven't been around HoP much. But that doesn't mean i've dropped off the face of the earth or out of doing poi.

till later, -v-

-v-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Holy crap! You are alive! tongue

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
just barely!

-v-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Dude, auto asphyxiation isn't cool! tongue wink

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
Wooooooooo ))

*Like I didnt know* )))

Im just really glad you're getting together with Liz at last!!! Say hi to her and I hope to manage visiting you.

Dont be an ass and drop me a line whenever you're online here or on yahoo

HUUUUG

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hi beautiful! (no, not you patrick!)

thanks for dropping by my thread.

things are really hectic here, and i probably won't be able to catch up with you on IM till next week.

to everyone else (and _So_ too!):

today is my last day of living in Germany and Europe. I've already mentioned being sad about leaving all the great fire and poi peeps in these parts. i have learned so much from all of you, and am now happily very different from the rank and file american spinner. thanks for all that and more.

so I will drop a note from Boulder sometime soon after i get settled there.

ciao, -v-

-v-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Happy Birthday! tongue

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Hey Vance! Where did you disappear too? Are you under one of those boulders in Boulder?

Happy Birthday!!!! hug

Gidg

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep indeed... happy birthday Vance, hope all is going splendidly biggrin

hug

Getting to the other side smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wow... more than a year since my last post.

hmm...

well, I live in Austin, Texas now. I even own a house as of a few weeks ago. I made sure to buy one with high enough ceilings so i could practice poi indoors.

anybody I know still out there?

-v-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Love!

*pounces on vanize's lap*

How've you been? Whatcha up to?

Congrats on the house! I've had mine for 2 years and I LOVE it. No one to tell me to stop throwing stuff, to turn down the tunes, to be all nice and respectable.
In fact, you might like this, we even have a pirate flag flying on the front of the house. wink

So when's the house warming?
*hands a plant*
It's aloe...I know how much they come in handy for the likes of us. biggrin

oh yeah...WELCOME BACK! hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hey Vance!

It was lovely to see you again this summer.
Glad everything's going well.

hug

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
hey i bought a house too! we'll have to come visit each other! hug good to see you back around here!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
easy dude... glad to have you on board again.

Page: ...