Forums > Social Discussion > What the heck happened to the Protester Thread?!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Please don't tell me that it's gone.

Please don't tell me that all of my hard thought words have been deleted.

Please don't tell me that other members won't be able to read my words and put them in context of others.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach. Why were my words deleted? This is really upsetting.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by SmallBoy:
If you want to share them with the rest of the world in a thread that you want last say in, start your own threads - even if you're re-opening a can of worms.
if you do that an administrator will close your thread and direct you to one of the others available to discuss it on.

you then spend a good couple of hours debating something that matters to you just to have it removed when the person who started it realises it has becoma a different beast to the one they began.

more appropriate would have been to suggest the removal of any inflammatory comments (a la the jedi set) or at the worst, for ray to blank all of his first post and delete his others - which would still have been, in my opinion, childish and ill considered.

if the thread was only causing arguments then maybe there was a justification for its removal but there were some excellent discussion points raised in that thread, independently of rays comments.

bottom line whether we like it or not, we have the power to delete the threads we start.
the threads i have started however i do not presume to 'own'.
the advice given and discussions held in them i am not responsible for just as much as i would feel no need to retract something someone else has said.
again though, obviously this is just how i feel.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
smallboy- dio's honourable adversaries post was set up precisely to make the point you are- re-iterating that no debate should degenerate into personal slaggin-off matches, that it should merely be a deeply thought provoking section where people could bring to light different opinions (at their own risk) to have them openly debated. In that post I also suggested that a warning note should be posted on this war forum saying not for the light hearted- we don't want people to be offended by anything we discuss (and particularly not so they find it a dark spot on their actual lives), but war is a topic many people have strong opinions on and many of us like to take our debating skills to the max- it would be a fairly boring section if we didn't (in my humble opinion). Agreed, nothing should go personal (ideas can be attacked, but not people).

I'm sorry for you and anyone else fluffy who has got hurt by this section cos I have all the respect in the world for you lot who make the social section such a fun place

however I do think I speak for most of us here (or at least the people I have debated w/against) when I say that we know what we are getting into and are prepared to take the brunt of things said (all within the boundaries of decency and with respect for each others person if not ideas).

as for the removal of ray's post- it was done and its in the past, lets get on to debating other stuff now! grrrr... come on, I'll fight yall!!!!

chill, no, really...
why are you all looking at me that way...
put that stick down...
why do those poi's have knives attached to them...
help...

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Now poi with knives attached......

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Wow! Kat walks in, cleans the crap off her shoes from all the sh@t slinging and surveys the carnage..

'I MEAN NO HARM'

..Tenatively enters thread

Um - would have been a good idea if Ray had posted and said, thread getting out of hand - asked a mod to lock it and delete it after a day or two. Hindsight

Now campers - smile and shake hands, or Malcolm will send Cam out to swing his knife poi at you or make you eat Marmite (shudder!)

Peace love and Respect

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Page: