Forums > Help! > I am buying new equipment

Login/Join to Participate

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
I am going to buy my Fire Poi on Saturday. What should I look for?
I know I need a stuff to put me out if I catch fire. Been doing Poi for only 2 weeks and now want to learn fire. I use light sticks but the ass hole that I am guess I want the burning butt and fire head to go with. Will wear anti fire stuff but as for Poi what is is that I need to look for?
Thanks
Rich The Fool (Boo Boos and burning butt might be my new name here real soon)

The Fool from Middlesex England

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*mod hat off*

Okay...I guess I am the one who is going to state the obvious here....

What is the hurry? Have you read through the injuries listed from poi gone wrong? In fact, take a look in Knagi's photo gallery. When he got that burn he had been poi-ing for over a year.

This is not funny, and while fun it isn't a kids game.
A level head and a sense of safety is the first thing you need when getting into fire. Simply having safety stuff is not enough, you have to have someone else around WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE IT.

And at two weeks, you have alot more to learn.
If you want the thrill of fire, wave a couple of sticks around.
When you are a bit more responsibly minded, then go to fire poi.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi Rich here
As for using Fire I do know the dangers about what fire does. Learned a few things in 8 1/2 years in The Marine Corps. Used to eat fire and fire up a Bo staff. Also I do Native American Inipi (Sweat Lodge) I am one of my family fire tenders. I do not take any of this lightly. Also I am an EMT and have done more than treat burns.
So why the rush? Used to also be into the Martial Arts. And what does this have to do with what I want? Experience I understand that I must have and need. I also understand the reason why I am looking forwards to using fire. I am Learning of the medicine of being a Court Jester. I plan on not running into all of this but I also plan on doing. As for burns, got plenty of Naplam on the body. So Boo Boo's I use Fire extinguiser and other fire precausion. I do believe in fire protection and plan on using any and all equipment until I am ready for more.
I do honor and respect your reply to me and that this is no easy toy, because it becomes real and it does and can kill if not done right.
Many I have talked to so far have said not to jump to fast and that fire takes time to get into. I also understand that you do not want to read about me in the news. Also I do not plan on crazyness on spins and swings, just getting used to fire and keep the swings simple, small and nothing fancy. I do have some people who have been doing POI for awhile and will also be getting me into using ribbon and flags, etc. Also will use light ball etc. So I will be slow and I use light sticks so far. Fire is only a short burst of 2-3 minute flame and yes it only takes a split to catch. Mainly will have some people from the local fire deptarment around when I do.
I will be contacting some people down where I used to work for in Hollywood, on fire protection gel and get some input from them also.
Thank you for your heart and for your kindness to guide me.
I know Shut up Rich and sit back and enjoy the show.
Mean no disrespect to you or any one else and as crazy as I am I also am safe at what I do.
Smiles and Giggles
Rich

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Rich
Damn two weeks what took you so long ? The 1st night I ever saw a fire poi I was spinning 20 mins later.The guys at the beach put me real close to the water they said "if you get warm jump in" spinning fire isnt rocket sceince as alot make it out to be but it does take common sense. like never spin fire alone always have a spoter with the very least a wet towel in hand .
stuff like that being an emt I am sure you understand how far two seconds of fore thought before you do something goes. that same rule applies to fire..
As for fire tools poi are really a personal preferance people like different stuff.The HOP store has alot of different types of poi maybe look through there if you already havent.
Good luck and burn bright

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Rich the fool...

In my opinion.

YOU CANNOT SPIN FIRE POI SAFELY WITHOUT A SAFETY!!

A safety is someone you trust, who is reliable and attentive to watch you while you spin. Not only that, but they need to keep an eye on your fuel dump, be sober and clearheaded, and keep a watch for any members of the public who are a lot more stupid than any of us could imagine, (until one of them tries to kill us all by accident).

If you truly understand the dangers of fire, then you realise that the possible dangers are:

* injury to yourself
* horrible pain and scarring
* your death

* destruction of property, homes and public facilities
* pain injury or death to untrained people who try to help you should you get in trouble. (there is a lady here in NZ who suffered 3rd degree burns to her hand trying to put out the flames on a workmate at a party a few years ago.

* injury to others
* horrible pain and scarring to others
* other people's death

Don't forget vicarious death and destruction

i.e. your equipment fails and a flaming poi head lands in a tree and burns three trees and the sid eof someone house.

While the fire department was attending YOUR accident, another team had to travel from further away to attend a nearby house fire, and the whole family dies because the second team didn't get there as fast as the first team could have.

Fire is easy to be lax about, but remember, if it ewver gets out of control, you have no hope of stopping it, regardless of how trained you are or the fact that you possess a fire extinguisher and/or fire blanket.

Play safely, for everyones sake.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks all so far in my quest. The fire guys are off duty so the regulars can and do respond to on call fires (homes, life, etc.) I do not plan to take away from the calls.
Death I do not take lightly. To me life is a one time thing. So I do not go about mindlessly.
I do not do drugs or alcohol and those around on safety are likewise.
Being clearheaded and minded. Focus and awareness I trully understand.
Scars are not lightly taken and I do understand that hot happens and burns take more than flesh.
Being around equipment that protects. Kevlar suit I have access to, face sheild, gloves, head gear. Heck I feel like the man from MARS and the people around are very aware of safety.
Flying heads I am aware of and have many hoses on site to put any and all fires out from trees, not around houses, cars, etc.
Am not into having people much around due to safety issues and I have seen fire fly and hit, so i do understand that there is a zone that can go out of the box and target bystanders.
When I am around people I will be using lights, light sticks, glow, etc. Here I understand that I have to worry about a kid walking on my blind spot and being hit by something looking pretty cool.
I do carry my trauma bag and other safety equipment.
Might get a small swim pool and fill with water for safety also.
Clear minded and good people and awareness at all times.
I treat this like going up to a mine. If I have my head way up the dark end of me, then I can exspect to have more than the dark side to be my return. (Or something like that)
Hey! Thank you all so far for the guide and for your words and concern. I plan on doing things a bit slower and will for those who are...Will wait a bit more and practice more. Will do this first dry runs for awhile so I am used to using a wick and will put a flag for trails, so I am used to timing, etc.
Again Thank you
Smiles and Giggles
Rich

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
I was turned onto this site for fire protection. Is not cheap but my life is not either. I am going to buy a quart to see if this stuff works or not. But I am going to ask for a sample to see if I want to make an investment.
Stuff is a gel and does not guarentee me full protection, does give a bit of a barrier and time to react to put out.
Let me know what you think or have heard of.
Smiles and Giggles
Rich

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
Here is the www.
https://www.thrillseekersunlimited.com/SequipmentPYRO.htm
Smiles and Giggles
Rich

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Techincally, all three of their gels are just about the same stuff. There is a slight difference with a coolant composition.

Anyway, this stuff is for use for professional stuntmen and is actually more hindering with what we do. Technically they are heat barriers, not a fire barrier. They are meant to put under/over/around kevlar suits, nomex gear and such when a stunt man sets himself aflame, a fireman goes into a large fire or when David Copperfield stands in the middle of a flaming tornado .
Two of these are not meant to actually have flames touch them and the third is actually somewhat combustible. Because of the contact our tools have with our flesh in wraps and such the stuff actually rubs off onto our gear. These do not offer any aid in protecting us, in fact when used alone they can heat up and burn a person worse than 5 secs of contact alone.
I received my information about barrier gels and creams from the local fire supply authority, btw, including these brands.

[ 29. March 2003, 06:01: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Now to the questions about poi...and I want to add that I personally think Riz was unsafe as well in getting started. There is a respect for the fire and for oneself that I think is missing when this gets rushed into. And truly, fire is neat and all but it is not the end all beat all of rushes. I don't care what safety qualifications you have, you need someone else there. I know FIRE AUTHORITIES who suck at what we do because they are trained to look at the fire as a potential danger not a partner. So, unless you are fluent in poi, then I will maintain there is no hurry, and taking your time will only enhance the experience.

Anyway...what you asked is a general question, so I am going to help to refine it.

What exactly are you looking at purchasing?
A full set including handles and strings?
Or just wicks?

Have you thought about handles?
Do you want Nylon, Cotton, or Leather?
Finger noose, single loop or double loop?
Make certain that they are attached by something strong and approved for high weights and that lock together somehow (key rings tend to stretch, and many companies use cheap ones).

Now to chains.
Do you want ball chain, dog chain (link) or cable?

Each of these swings and feels very differently and is really dependent on personal preference. Make sure it is free of sharp edges, that all links are welded shut, it is approved for high weights, and has strong connector pieces.

Length is another matter of personal taste, as is weight.

Wicks.
What fabric do you want?
Kevlar?..more pricey but longer lasting.
Denim or wool?..Works well, good for effects from frays.
Cotton/Terrycloth?..Uses a tremendous amount of fuel for strong burns. A large amount can still be not terribly heavy (unsoaked).

Do you want a cathedral, monkey fist or core wick?
What type of spinning do you do? What is your style?
Fast and long? Usually monkey fist works well for this.
Slow and graceful? Core tends to do well for this. Because of metal bits this is not recommended for alot of wraps.
Cathedral is fairly versitile but I find catches the wind pretty easily in large moves.

Make certain all connectors are locking or screw clamping mechanisms.

Go to a hardware store and play with some of the chains there to see which your tastes are suited for. Swing different weighted objects and note if you find it easier to swing lighter materials or harder. Take note of how you swing (as it is too soon in your journey to really have a style yet).
These all help in determining which set is best for you.
And practice with them alot before you light up.

Pele

Rich the foolmember
7 posts

Posted:
Again Thank you all for keeping me in your hearts and looking out for me. Yes I understand more than I talk about. As for fire I am very versitile at fire and have had fire as my bed partner. Learning more about gel than what I already am learning. So as in college it looks like the norm (What ever the norm means)(smile)and I will keep learing as I grow and do.
I am very touched by the concern you all have for the art and yes to me this is an art and not just a thing. Thank you again and I look forwards to hearing about what is good and where I should be.
Smiles and Giggles
Rich