Page:
WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
My new project of insanity, matching fire swords!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing aikido for the last few months and my Sensei is very sword orientated so I have my bokken (wooden training sword) and I just noticed how its design could be adapted for a fire sword.

Basically you would start with a metal tube for the handle, then take two pieces of very rigid 4mm sheet steel and cut yourself two sword blades with tangs to go into the handle which you beat into a curve then slide the tang into the tube so you have awide handle with two blades coming out, now drill loads of holes in the blades, run wick between the wo blades and use bolts to bring the two blades together in a sword shape with an exposed cutting and back edge of wick.

Hopefully this should work and a m8 of mine can weld the blades to the handle for extra strength, soooooooo what do you all think, I'll try and draw some piccys, but I'm going to start making it today so hopefully photos are the way, back soon.

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
looking back now hey pirate boy, if you took those kevlar ropes going through the holes and you made them tubes and you had a fuel resevoir you could have the ropes go into the resevior and fuel the ropes.

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
looking back now hey pirate boy, if you took those kevlar ropes going through the holes and you made them tubes and you had a fuel resevoir you could have the ropes go into the resevior and fuel the ropes.

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
This scares me in so many different ways. While I love the imagery of using a flaming sword to fight with the practicality is somewhat different. I really hope what your talking about is swinging them no where near each other and occasionally touching blades. I go into full contact sword fights. The number of things that can go wrong there is bad enough put fuel into the equation it does not bare thinking about. On top of that I’ve seen a blade snap in one of these fights and the end fly off. Thank god it did not hit a person. Oh and the fighters had to be stopped because they did not notice. This was not a home made blade or anything it was one made for fighting with.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Felex: What you do is not choreographed, yes? I think that the risks can be lowered with careful planning.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Yep not choreographed we are all trained to fight using muscle memory. While the theory planning through the stages of the act(?) will make things safer for the people involved I’m inclined to think what happens if one person gets the routine wrong?

Don’t get me wrong I do wish the best of luck. A couple of years ago this is exactly the type of thing I would of loved to try. Just please people take it easy take it slow. Your not just swinging bits of mettle at each other. Your swinging bits of burny hot mettle at a friend of yours.

Stay frosty

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also hence me saying lowered, not eliminated.

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
My bad Astin I've been so tired. While I read what you wrote part of me decided you wrote something different.

Sorry redface

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
No problem. I would also like to see something along these lines. Could be very interesting and dynamic.

Actually, if you made them right, these could be the club equivalent of fire snakes....

zanevBRONZE Member
God
33 posts

Posted:
I hate bumping a 8 year old topic, but how do you turn a regular sword into a fire sword?

Life is a circus as some may say...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, it depends on what you mean by regular sword. If you are talking about something with an edge, you probably do not want to.

The easiest way would probably be to wrap a (blunt) blade in kevlar. Not sure about your burn time, and I am sure that there are better ways.

Page: