lonelyspinnermember
5 posts

Posted:
Phew, Im a bit intimidated by the huge number of (slightly crazed) people out there!
I've only just started learning poi after a friend at a party helped me loose my poi-spinning virginity. I was totaly hooked on the sound and beauty of fire poi, so I made my own practice poi (unfortunately no sound effects yet) and started spinning.
Other than my new obsession my life is busy, but dull here in Essex, am I the only spinner in Chelmsford???

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hello loneyspinner, (i know what it feels like, I spun on my own for nearly a year in the beginning.)

chelmsford, I've heard that its very easy to get to clapham common from chelmsford on a saturday in the middle of may you might find one of two spinners there. (SPIPwoopie)

I'm pretty sure that you'll find spinners round there, but if not come into london for a play and say hullo.

Be cool
glass

[ 10 May 2002, 04:23: Message edited by: glass ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hallo and welcome!

Without wanting to sound too much like glass' echo and shadow, come to Poi in the Park! It'll be great! It'll rain on us and we won't care!

Try doing a search for the word essex or chelmsford. (I actually know where chelmsford is! I think! I drive past there at 100 mph at least once a month on my way to Norfolk!) Anyway, you should find people nearby who you can email and meet up with. I know there's a couple of lovely sounding people who live that way.

Also it's customary for you to tell us a little bit about you, the sillier the better. Like your favourite film, shampoo/conditioner, sandwich filling (don't start Glass!), your marmite preference, etc...

Busy good , dull bad

lonelyspinnermember
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your support guys, sorry I didnt write much yesterday but am at work and didnt have time!
So here goes:

I am 25, British, but born in Jamaica while my parents were teaching there, although they didnt stay long unfortunately!!!

I currently work for an environmental research company but have only been doing it for a year before that I was in South West Wales at Uni, having fun in the sun (but mostly in the rain) and loving every minute of it. For anyone who has doubts about Wales, just go there for a while and get it in to your blood.

My personality is quite split really, I am usually over sensible and practical which I get from my dad but then I really like deep down and dirty Drum and Bass, drinking cider, and anything to do with getting naked(!!??)

As for hobbies and stuff the most important things in my life are my friends, and its quality not quantity that counts, unfortunately at the moment they are all scattered around the world and so Ive turned to poi to keep me ammused (and possibly find me some more friends). I also play hockey, horse ride, sail and am learning Italian. I also have a slight DIY compulsion but more design and creative orientated than practical stuff.
There is just not enough time to do all the things I would like to.

Favorite colour/films/music and all that in brief:
Blue or green/Dirty dancing(typically girly, no illusions of intellect on that one)/ and D+B or Salsa (the only types I just cant sit still to)

Right,off to the pub see you all later
L

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
hello and come in and the like
To begin with: No spinners in Essex?
Pah. I was twirling there just yesterday. Me and some of my spinny friends is based in Bishoips Stortford and Harlow and round there. We havn't got a regular fire thingy goin' as there just aint enough of us, but we twirl a lot on weeknights.
Apart from that you have to do what Dom and Glass have said and go to London. 'Cos its there that you meet all the nice people and they show you all the nice tricks
Anyways, E-mail if ya want ta spin, its dreaddyno1@lineone.net.
If not, c ya in Town

[ 11 May 2002, 04:23: Message edited by: Moohaahaa ]

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Anything to do with getting naked? Have you met mr Kato. You two will get on well methinks...

I have to say though, I haven't noticed any "slightly crazed" people out here. Except for Bender t Offender but I'm told he'll clear up if i keep applying the cream.

Meh

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
hey lonelyspinner.
welcome. im also quite new to hop but everyones real freindly as you may have noticed so youll have no problem finding new people to spin with.

anyhow, just thought to say HHHHHHIIIIIIIII!
and ignore any jibes, they like to tease

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Lonelyspinner and welcome to HOP
Really hope you can make it on the 18th (next week that is ) in Clapham Common

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
There'll be LOTS of us there. Am hoping to meet a few new people to spin with too. (if i'm not too shy.) I might hide behing handy trees / fraggles most of the time though.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Oooh - and a big Smiley HELLO

don't be lonely. I spin on my own nearly all the time and I'm only a few hours from london etc which is full of spinners. *hug* we can be lonely together if you like??

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I end up spinning on my own too, partially because my friends don't spin, but also because I manage to miss the people that I know spin here, they come back here on holiday just as I leave.
It's a right pain since I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off.
I'm probably going to be overwhelmed by the vast numbers of people that look like turning up in Clapham, it's all good though

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

starbukmember
75 posts

Posted:
Hey There!

Hope ur not too scared by every1 wanting u to come to Clapham on saturday, but im gonna ask ya 2. Come to Clapham on saturday!

Drum and Bass........YES! thumbs popping up all over the shop.

Dont forget to bring a towel

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
A steaming pile of turd?

Sorri...

Cum spin with us!! We r cronically dizzy but we just can't stop!!

Did I hear D+B??!!.....SOLD!!

DFQ xx

Az abouve, So below...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hiyas LonelySpinner!
if you keep it up, you won't be able to live up to ya name, hey?
You may notice that one problem with twirling by yourself is that you may tend not to move your bod around much cos there's no-one else to duck from. its even more dangerous than incorRect capitalisations.

I love my Jungle either funkygroovy or subnasty. I fully recommend you treat your ears to 'Dillinja - Organik Funk' - it's a rare track, but i always play it in me car when we drive strangers to a DnB afterparty. its soooooooo lush. irikeitarot

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

lonelyspinnermember
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the many invites to clapham common but afraid I cant make it , I am going to be in Nottingham for the weekend but Spike33 is trying to organise something (social discussion page) for the Jubilee bank holiday. Anyone up for it/got any ides for where it should be?