Tessamember
2 posts

Posted:
I have just recently stumbled upon fire dancing, and was interested in talking to some people about how to get started. I would love to talk to anyone who is willing to give me any advice. I live in New York City, and would especially love to attend a performance here. Write back if you get a chance. Tessa

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Hey Tessa,
Welcome to HoP! You'll like it here.
I don't know where you're at right now, so I'll assume you're right at the beginning. I guess the best way to start would be to make some nice, soft, practice poi out of socks and shoelaces, then head to the poi moves section for the basics.
BTW, this part of the forum is meant for introductions, so add something on this thread that tells us a little bit about yourself!
Good luck!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP Tessa
there are fantastic spinners in NYC namely a group called 1337. I hope NYC (the HOP member, nt the city ) will post here a way to get in touch with them

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
or you could find a post that NYC has made, which will allow you to send a private message. I'm sure he/she won't mind.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
It wasn't that long ago that i "stumbled" across this myself...

ur gonna love it. be prepared to have to be really really patient and whack urself in the begining...

you can find almost anything you need if you search the forums, and everyone is lovely here
Welcome!

I'm about 2hrs out of NYC, so mebbe sometime this summer we could get together?

[ 06 May 2002, 10:34: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There are lots of great folks who spin in NYC. At Burning Man 2001, I was a random assigned to the NYC crowd for spinning at the burn. Wonderful people, great fun, and cool as hell.

Good luck, and welcome!

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes, indeed there are many cool tribes in NYC. Unfortunately, I've recently bowed out of mine as I just don't seem to have the time...

I have been getting out to parks a bit more for daytime practice which is always nice.

I will warn you that there is always a sense of last minuteness to all NYC firespinning that I've been involved with. I never really know where it's going on next. I've had trouble steering HoP people towards the fire people because they are so transient. Perhaps that just adds to the mystique.

Sure, send me a private message if you'd like to meet up for a park spin. Maybe we can organize another random conglomeration of NYC poi people for a daytime park spin. A few of those that showed up last time have become quite near and dear to me.

Again, I'm probably the wrong person to talk to since I don't roll with the big dogs no more.

And as for the summer, I'll be in Paris.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
Wonderful people, great fun, and cool as hell.
what hell do you go to? cos the one i heard of was pretty hot!! I must hear about this cool hell!!!

Fire... A bushmans telly