Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Twirling Recovery Techniques!

Login/Join to Participate

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
After reading these technical threads, I've noticed that I need a wash. I Also noticed that there surely must be a bundle of recovey moves out there other than the apologise-and-pick-staff-off-ground moves!C'mon staff peoples, surely you've had to continue the show even if you decapitated onlookers! or even if you wild overuse exclamation marks!My personal favourite recovery is to jump n land where the fallen staff is evenly placed behind my left heel and hooked on top of my right foot. Raising the right foot (still hooked) against the left leg spins the staff and you can continue yer twirl as if from a low left leg pass.A stoopid grin usually distracts worried onlookers from that fresh set of gaping headgashes during a performance too. Just remember: No brain, no pain!------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
no coment grin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As far as I can remember Xaeda, Pele and a few others have all mentioned doing cartwheels and things to pick up dropped staffs.
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 09 January 2002).]

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
nice chickenI'm new to staff, so I don't have many fancy tricks in which to drop it, but one problem I have is getting tangled. What I mean is that the staff is spinning and my hand/arm reaches its maximum twist factor and I haven't thought about what to do next. The staff slows down and stops - I think "bugger" and then proceed to act as if I meant to do that and reverse the spin.Once I get that staff book and expand my vocabulary, I will prolly have to learn a few more recoveries, so I'll be watching this thread for ideas smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Bendy, two words: hand wraps. Two more: finger spins. And yet even two more: cross overs.As for recovery techniques,I was never very good at cartwheels, but I have two that work pretty well. The first one is pretty simple, but it doesn't work on certain surfaces or with certain shoes. You just kick your toes under the balance point of the staff and pop it up (thank you hacky sack). The second is to execute a forward roll, grabbing the staff with both hands during the roll, and coming out of the roll with my legs crossed so when I stand up I can turn my body 180 degrees and whip the staff into a helicopter, like nothing ever happend.But, all in all, I prefer to not drop the staff at all.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 10 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
CArtwheels? Pah! Backflips? Too ooollldd!(Actually I can't do either yet)I've found several great ways to recover from a drop (usually when busking, I tend to push too hard and get tired at the end of the night).First is to stare at the staff, stare at the audience, stare at the staff, stare at the audience..."Ok guys, when i drop the staff, you clap!" A huge round of applause normally follows.Another is to do a super-high throw off the ground and catch it in slow-mo, /saturday night fever style.Another is to pretend it's hurt, listen for a heart beat, hold it in my open palm unmoving, then sudeenly it starts to spin slowly, hug it like a long lost friend and then continue with the show.A favourite one is to look at a lady in the audience and say "don't look at me like that, pretty ladies always make me drop..."You can act up as if the staff is always doing this sort of thing just to make you look bad, then complain that it never talks to you in front of other people...Or you can...or...or...or...(you get the idea) grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Brilliant, Charles, brilliant! grinI'd never put that much thought into it, but those are pretty good. ------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The chicken is the picture that Bender_the_Offender has the code for in his signature.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Charles, do you not mean look at your fiancee in the audience.....?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Not really, she doesn't like me doing fire all that mucha dn anyway, I'd probably drop both staffs and run over and...(blush)hmm..maybe I'll just be quiet.Another favourite of mine, when doing single staff, is to stare at the staff for a few seconds in disbelief, hit your head with your hand and go "It's ok, people, it's allright, I've got another one" Then go and pick up the other staff and leave the other one there...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Charles how about staring at it as if it is cursed and say "Keep away folks, don't touch it..." Then very carefully walk a wide circle around it.Seen "Pleasantville"? It is like when the first basketball misses the ring.And please lets not head towards highly graphical signatures! I've seen a half decent forum go to hell cos of it! Still a nice chicken. smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I think making a joke of it is great fun. Once when I dropped my staff I strode over to it and stood like a referee in a boxing match, counting out the fallen instrument, "One...two...three..." I also do a forward roll pick-up similar to Puppy's, except that I stay on the ground and go into my floor routine. Here's a new one: backward roll pick-up. Drop your staff. Now step over it and stand with your heels just past the grip. Bend your knees and sit down just past the staff. Reach down with with your right hand and grab staff. Staff should be between butt and feet. Tuck your head and roll over backwards. Plant feet and stand up. Ta-dah!Maximus

6,978 posts

Posted:
Wow Charles that's a MAD set of recoveries! I did not think to make 'em funny. good sheiss!PS that ain't no chicken, it's a self portrait! it aint easy pecking keyboards! It was taken during a visit to cs_italy i think------------------I am not a bot.*** END STATEMENT ***

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dive rolls, rolls, cartwheels, round off, flips...sure it can be done. And Charles, I can't do them all either, most but not all. Or, with the interactive audience, do one of those little hops so that you land sitting with your legs over the staff, hook it behind your knees while still hanging onto it and roll backwards with it, this will put you in a standing position. Give the audience a wink, blow them a kiss and go on like you meant to do that.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My making jokes about my dropped staffs led into a conversation that nearly made me give up staff altogether (and thanx for the lovely email, by the way, Charles. It helped a lot). But that wasn't crowds in general. Just one extremely deranged & misguided individual that was to blame for that.Just thought I should mention it.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Did someone threaten to kill your turtle in public if you did not quit staff, Cantus?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No a very spikey person said some really spiteful things, taking one of the few aspects of my life that i was genuinely proud of and turning it into confetti.

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Can happen Cantus, and it's not fun when it does. I had something like that happen to me recently - I was twirling for my family for Chrissy, when one of my relos, looking none too impressed, said, oh, I've seen that much fire twirling at hippie fests I've been dragged to, oh god, not again......or words to that effect, you can imagine my spirit was a little dampened.Then I thought stuff 'em - enjoy.Ade

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
heh, you can always yell to your safeties (if they have a good sense of humor)"Come on!!! Why didnt you catch that one?!?"

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
I myself cant do cartwheels. or flips or any such gymnasticswhen i drop my staff i do something i learned/made up with my devil sticks when i was 10. if you hit the baton with your two other sticks it will roll up onto the sticks and to can resume passing the baton.ive just modified it to staff, step on the staff with the arch of your foot and roll in backwords it will keep rolling onto the top of your other foot when it gets there give a kick and it pop up into the air. i catch it and spin it around.. it looks totally planned.

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
My favorite recovery is to stand about 1/2 a Phuhzzie body length in front of the staff and lean back and pick it up (bent over backwards like that nice little girl in The Exorcist). From this position I can get back up by leaning up again, springing to the side or a backwards roll, at the moment I'm working on a hand stand from that position but haven't got it yet. Not that I've ever needed to do this move because I don't drop my staff.** Sorry about lying.------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

6,978 posts

Posted:
Ehhe Phuzzie you got the best signature on the board heh.Hey Cantus, sounds like that criticism had less to do with twirling specifically and more to do them being with what Kurt would call "a negative creep." I look forward to every opportunity for twirling and am effing delighted eveytime ('cept for when it rains or is banned i guess). I enjoyed it when i was crap, and i enjoy it now even more, so don't be dissuaded cos of some comment on ability or twirling in general, it's the encouragement and adrenaline that keeps me coming back like a happy little pyro. I say fuckem have yer own fun if they can't enjoy it.Now what was i talking about? yeah leg recoveries - scooping the staff with your feet is *much* easier/more reliable when they're bare. Aint nuthin worse than screwing up a recovery!!"The Difference between being a man and being a coward is not whether you're scared, it's what you do when you're scared"-Staff Sgt. Jeff Struecker, Mogadishu Oct. 3, 1993

spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
i like the applause upon dropping the staff idea ;D lol[i would get lots of applause]