Forums > Technical Discussion > What should I use as my "chains"?

Login/Join to Participate

Gikkwinymember
9 posts

Posted:
Hi there.. I've been a lurker on these forums for some time now, and I finaly am going to make my fire poi.. however, I went to lowes, and I'm not sure what I should use for the chains..My choices are A: Moderatly heavy link chain, withholds 284 lbs, B: steel sash chain, which is 106 pounds, but has almost trianglar links, or c: 3/32 glavaized cable, which holds 186 lbs.. which is better? and what are befits/drawbacks of cable vs. chain?I am awufully confused. >.<

I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle lke fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend.-Neil Gaiman, Sandman #48

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually adamrice and I have chatted about this before. Don't forget you'll be putting 10-12x the weight of the poi on your chain if you intend on spinning it. smileDo a search because we all did the math a while back... You should be OK with a small/normal sized wick and 100 lbs of chain.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gikkwinymember
9 posts

Posted:
Well, what's the difference, use wise, between the galvainized steel wire and actual chainage? ((and I probably won't be getting ball chain))I knwo the weight I need now, butI'm still confused....

I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle lke fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend.-Neil Gaiman, Sandman #48

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
We use the nice medium-weight welded link chain from Lowe's. You want welded link so it won't separate over time and cause critical chain failure at an inopportune time.We aren't crazy about ball chain because it's somewhat difficult to attach to handles neatly. We don't care for cable because it inevitably gets kinks in it, which don't ever come out. ick.We also use high grade heavy duty marine swivels above the chain, just below the handle. Minimizes collisions and twisting up.Good luck,CharlyThe Cabiriwww.cabiri.org

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Mine are made from cable and although they are less likely to tangle (but are harder to untangle).I find the most limiting thing about cables is the inability to shorten them. You can't wrap them around your hands to adjust their length etc.My next set will be chain (prolly ball chain - though I have nothing against other types). I prefer heavier poi so I would likely choose some moderately heavy chain.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Zoharmember
11 posts

Posted:
Hi, it really does'nt matter if you choose chain or cable. I personaly like the cable because it's lighter. you just need to get a type of cable that is flexible enough to do wraps with!

Zohar

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Personaly I like the thin doggy choke chains from wal-mart. they are twist link so they wrap smoother and slide on your body smoother during a sliding unwrap, they are chrome plated (which seems to never get sooty) and they are light weight, (if you have ever wrapped with heavy chains you know what I'm talking about) regular welded chain works, but it doesn't wrap as smooth and doesn't untangle as easily.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
cheap dollar store doggy chains all the way

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
I just built my fire poi recently, and I ended up at petco buying light weight, 20" dog chains. They work fantastically, and of the dozen or so folks I spin with nobody has ever had these chains break on them. They are light, easy to wrap, and plenty sturdy.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi