Forums > Technical Discussion > Spinning staff on feet - Response to SHAYLA

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
This is a responce to Shayla that was in another staff thread. As I feel it will be hard to find i thought I would answer it and start anothe rthread at the same time...Shayla, staff spinning with the feet isn't too hard to do clumsily, however I've been unable to make it professional enough yet to brave putting it into a performance.A few hints that I've discovered on the way though...* Use a big staff! - Preferably 1.4 metres or even longer, batons, devil sticks etc don't have enough weight to keep their momentum and have too much % of their surface touching your feet to keep spinning.* Weight - THE HEAVIER THE BETTER, unless you have prehensile toes, (If you do, don't tell me, i don't want to know smile )the staff will need to push down on your feet to stay in place, otherwise it will start rolling instead of spinning and fall off straight away.* Bare feet - Before I took my shoes off, I hadn't been able to do anything at all, was almost on the point of giving up...* Comfortable position - My back gets really sore when I do this, before even attempting the staff part, practice what positions are more comfortable for you when lying on your back (no rude jokes please Superman!) and make sure your legs and feet are mobile. * Practice with large heavy objects first - wide heavy pieces of polythene piping, a metal cylindrical rubbish bin etc. The larger they are the easier they are to handle and the less they hurt if you drop them (larger surface area means less weight per square inch, so a softer hit). The overall weight gives metter purchase and less opportunity of rolling.* Make sure you get the feel of when the object is turning on your feet and when it is trying to 'roll'. Rolling means the object is turning on it's axis like a barrel going down hill. You want it to spin on the spot, keeping one side 'up' and one 'down' as much as possible.That's about it. I haven't practiced this anywhere near as much as I should. Will try to do it more often from now on...------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey there Charles, thanks for the tips! grin What I meant by devil stick was not to actually use the devils sticks but to do it in that style. In normal staff use hands are usually kept fairly close when both are on the staff at all, with this I think it is easier to first attempt with feet a bit more apart, like the balancing sticks of the devils sticks, get it? confusedKay...ganna go look for that thread now and scoot it over here so people know what we are talking about.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here we go...posted by Shayla in the "New Forum For Staff" thread in the moves section.shaylaunregistered posted 07 August 2001 05:20 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pele,you mentioned Xaeda asking about twirling the staff with your feet...i spent about 45 minutes on my back last night trying to figure out the trick, and all i've got to show for it is alot of near-misses to the head...*g*what's the trick? anyone? i'm still REALLY new to this (like a whole week), but i'm getting such a kick out of the staff that i hate putting it down!any help would be greatly appreciated! ~shayla IP: Logged PeleModerator Posts: 935From: Batavia, NY USARegistered: Dec 2000 posted 07 August 2001 12:04 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I know that you aren't supposed to keep your feet way for apart and that they are to be held relatively flat. Other than that I think your guess is as good as mine. I was thinking about, when I get to focus on it more, trying it more like devils sticks where my feet would be the two support sticks and the staff would be the thrown stick, does that make sense? Hmmm...I dunno. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

shaylamember
2 posts

Posted:
thanks ya'll for the hints/tips!! smilenow i guess i've got another question(s)...and i guess i'm going at this all bass ackwards, but that's generally how i do things..i decided before i'd make a serious investment into a staff, i'd give it a shot with something else..i'm currently working with a really heavy steel rod (36" long and 1/2" in diameter) because of some of the illustrations on site here...okay, that was before i checked out Xaeda'a lessons...so now i'm feeling kinda foolish...should i go out and find something longer to also practice with (and lighter? *laughing*), or keep working with the short one i've got?what are the pros/cons of each?if/when i'm ready to invest in a real staff, what would you recommend?any advice that you can give to this newbie/greenhorn would be muchly welcomed...i'm sorry if i'm coming off as a pest, but ever since i've picked this up, i've been unable to put it down...so i'm just gonna run with it for now...thanks ya'll!! smileBrightest of Blessings!eternally,~shay

Brightest of Blessings!eternally,~shayla

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTM...00056.htmlthese
threads will give you an idea of what size to go for. Just remember, it all comes down to personal preference.enjoy! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image][This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 08 August 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I went for a cheaper option and made all my staffs myself. I have a heavy one, made from wood, that has loads of reflective tape and stuff on it that glows up in UV - this was my first.It's about 1.1m long. It did have reflective tails on it too. But i got sick of them whipping me in the face all the time (they slowed it down considerably too). So I snipped them off the other day.I have 2 light-upable fire staff. Made to the recipe on the incendium site. The poles were gleaned from my dad's shed (a hoe and a rake gave up their lives for my art). These are both 1 metre long.And, I have 2 practise staffs. That are simply two 1 metre lengths of dowel with tape round the middle to form a crude grip.All home-made. Mostly from found or borrowed materials. Simple. The only thing that cost me anything was the kevlar wicks which i got from the HOP shop.--------------------------------------------Tomorrow I'm going to give this foot thing a try . . . grin------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 08 August 2001).]

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pele...ummm...I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm completely and utterly confused...Unless I had the whole question wrong and it's not talking about spinning staff with you back on the ground and your feet in the air. if this is true, what are you talking about or could you rephrase it for me?MAybe i missed something simple.PS I'm quite good with a devil stick, so that aspect i know about, just not how it fits in with the rest of the description.------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pele is just saying that perhaps feet should be further apart than hands would be placed whilst spinning. Thus giving the staff more support. At least that's how i interpret what she said. Am I right?------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
aaahhhh (lightbulb lights above head).Thank you, Cantus.It looks like we are talking about completely seperate methods.My hints are how to spin a staff on the soles of your feet, keeeping them right next to each other but alternating which one is on contact by raising and lowering them slightly.Now I understand that Pele was talking about spinning the staff AROUND the feet (or maybe ankles).I've never tried that approach, but it sounds even harder than mine.I'll look into it though... wink------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 09 August 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much Cantus! I hadn't been able to get back in here and I am so glad someone cleared this up in my absence!Yup, that is what I meant Charles. I never thought of your approach either. So...experimentation ensues!!! grinThanks you guys...*hugs*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele