Forums > Technical Discussion > Beaming Poi; Glowstick Duration

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have a couple of questions concerning non-fire light options.1) How pleased are people with their beaming poi? Ever had the LEDs burn out or fade? Are they easy to replace? Anyone out there spinning two different colors?2) What are the best places to order/find high quality/ long lasting glowsticks?thxVlad

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Typically i buy glowsticks at the dollar store here they are maybe 2 bucks each at the most and they last 8hrs or so... i also have the beaming poi which peopl seem to like to watch but they are way way heavier than the fire poi and glowsticks so it takes a bit of getting used to... smile i usually use two different colored glowstick when i use them.. my beaming poi have red light though.. they havent failed me as of yet..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I generally get my glowsticks from https://www.clubtoys.com
-- they've got good rates, a great selection, and they can deliver them pretty quickly.They've also got a fabulous pile of other cool stuff, if you're into things the blink, flash, or are otherwise cool at raves. wink

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
LEDs do not burn out or fade -- when wired properly, they will last almost indefinitely. The only thing you need to worry about are the connections inside the beaming poi.I'm not a big fan of glowsticks for environmental[1] reasons, but a lot of people seem very happy with the ones available through https://www.glowstickfactory.com/[1]
Although it is a rough call whether the plastic is really all that much worse than batteries, rechargable or otherwise. My logic (right or wrong) is that a set of batteries will last through dozens of events while glow sticks are good only for one night.-p.

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Can i just clarify the point about glowsticks being 'for just one night'.If you're out at a festival, camping out, generally away from home then this is true.But, if you're going home (or at least, to a house) after a few hours of spinning, as soon a you walk in the door, pop those babies straight into a freezer.The glowsticks I'm playing with at the moment (from www.glowstick.co.uk) got cracked open on Friday night and have had a couple of hours use most nights since then (I'm writing on wednesday morning.) Now I agree, environmentally, this is just delaying the inevitable disposal, but economically, it doesn't half cut the cost of glowstick use.mikeyB

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I've never had any problems with my beaming poi. I love them.I guess the batteries you choose will make a difference. The better they are, the longer they will last.Just remember to take care of your beaming poi. Wipe them over after using them and try not to bang them together. This can cause stress fractures in the plastic.Finn smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Jude,I think your beamers are posessed. They behave very well for you, they dont bang together or crack you in the shins or anything...but when I use em...whoa Nelly! watch out shins smileLet this be a lesson to the rest of you. Make sure you become good friends with your beamers, or else you *will* have battle scars winkJosh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Josh,I'm not sure that they're possessed, they do have a mind of their own though! I thought they behaved quite well for you. smileRule no. 1. Always warm up before using beaming poi.Rule no. 2. Always respect your beaming poi. Never forget just how much pain they can cause you.Rule no. 3. Never lend them to people who are not experienced. They WILL hurt themsleves! and you will feel terrible. Repsonsible evenI'm getting much better at Rule no. 3. I've finally learnt how to say no without feeling like a selfish bitch. It's very difficult sometimes.Finn smile