Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Hey, to all local spinners in the Halifax/Dartmout area:

Just got this random idea while posting in the intro section. Why don't we all get together to do a show somewhere public, sure to be busy, and accept donations for Unicef, or something. I mean, I'm not going to accept candy this year anyways, and I just thought it was a good idea, to get everyone while they're out, and to put the profits to a good cause.

So, what do you guys think? It'll have to get organized, like where could we do it? Would we want it to be for children as well? Because honeslty, I don't think kids will be bringing around money with them, and it's the adults who give the money anywho.

So, if any one has any feed back, that'd be greatly appreciated, so we can get something going for what I think is a good cause. ^__^

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about that Bobo, maybe we should advertise and do it the day before Halloween, though it IS fire I don't think many people will have the time (or attention span) to watch it on Halloween and if we go downtown we'd get mostly drunk people... its Halloween, what can we expect?! Also if we advertise we could get more people to come, more people, more money ^^

~Cerberus~+Something simple+

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Ladies and Gentlemen, Gobblins and Gobblettes i invite you to the show. but not just an ordinary show, no no, a show for alllll ages, and show for you, a show for me, a show for everyone to see. Its the Fire show on halloween.

Sorry, had to, i'm more than interested.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Dudes, I was going to do this anyway! I already bought a sparkly gold mask for it!^-^ so glad others had the same line of thought, sounds like fun!

P*L*U*R

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Does anyone mind if i bring some Marshmellows and Weiners? Hrmm, i wouldn't if the fumes would soak into the mellows or wienies and kill me?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDevil:
Hrmm, i wouldn't if the fumes would soak into the mellows or wienies and kill me?
I've done that before, and it's not that tasty O.o' (I was bored at camp, what can I say?) Over open fire is much, much better *nodd nodd*

Well, I'm really glad that you guys are interested thus far! I came on, and saw 4 replies and was like "whoot! replies!"

Anywho, so now that we've got this many people interseted thus far, we should get more ^__^ Make it an uber gathering or something...

But I don't know about the day before Hallowe'en... I really wanted to do it ON the night... But there's always safety concers -- not fire, but like, getting attacked and the such. Hmmmm.....

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
If i knew other people who spun then i'd invite them, but most people i know who spin are members here, so they'll see the post...

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Flipmodius and Alumity will come for sure, depending on the date. I do want to spin on Hallowe'en but there are other activities I want to take part in as well- little bit o' candy and the Samhain gathering.
Plus, I don't think many suitable spinning locations would have much traffic on ahllowe'en night, everyone would be in residential areas.

P*L*U*R

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
It definatly would be fun to do it ON halloween, but I don't know if we could... Halloween is a very busy night and I don't know what kind of crowd we'd get... then again I never know what kind of crowd we will get O.o

Yey! More people the better! We'll have glow-sticks and fire poi comming out our ears (Yea for cliche's!). Now we just need to find out where and when. I'm good for the night before, the night of... the night after... wow I have no life @.@

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Lets keep in mind that Halloween is on a friday night, and the majority of us are still in school.

and btw, i can't stand glowsticks now, i used them at my school dance, and i couldn't even do 2 beats of the reverse btb weave...(this wouldn't bug me so much if i couldn't do it with my hackysacks, but i can.) i'm gonna order 6feet of 2.5" kevlar tonight, make some wicks and practice with them, and perhaps next time i'm in halifax with you guys i can do my first burn.

Anyone need something ordered while i'm at it? i'm gonna pick up some kevlar sewing thread to experiment with.

[ 24. September 2003, 07:09: Message edited by: DarkDevil ]

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Friday wouldn't be too bad... but I can see what you mean if we decided to do it on Thursday. We would still be able to do it, we would juat have to go in earlier. We'll, as I said, I'm good for any day, you guys can kick it back and forth all you want, just tell me the end resluts ^^

DD: Awesome man! First spin with fire is the greatest! Good luck on making your poi... -.-; I had to make my poi and Blaze's poi by following internet instructions (and some advice from Loki), stuuuuupid wires... they may keep my poi in good condition but they were bloody annoying to get through the kevlar!

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Hrm... Yeah, see, this is the dilema. I'm also good for the night prior, of, and after Hallowe'en. If we do Thu., I can skip karate.

But still: where? Will the waterfront be busy? During Hallowe'en? Or, should we choose a particularly busy neigbourhood and do a show for the kids?

I just dont know!!! *pulls out hair... only... not...O.o'*

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Are their any residental areas within halifax with parks within them? Something like the public gardens only more residental and no fence.

Nobody has said this yet but this is what we need to know
When?
- Thursday Before, Halloween, or Saturday After?
- What time? I'd like to have an hour or two to setup and just relax. But thats just me.
Where?
- Area with High Foot Traffic
- Safe Area, I'm not spinning in the Ghetto.
- Area to work in, 'open space'
- Preferabily a power outlet, although we could get a stereo with batterys.
How are we going to put on the show? (This one i could go on for hours about this.)
- The Majority of us are spinners mind you, will be all proform at once, will we each get a "set" or in otherwords spin to a whole song and then introduce the next person. This would work in the sense that everyone has a different style and therefore please different artistic tastes.
- Will we be playing to the crowd, i know we can't have to much audience participation because of safety issues, but we could talk to them a little.
- Also, will we be making an outline for the show? It'd be great if we had an idea of how the show will be played out.
Money?
- Unicef... no question here... someone try to get a few boxes when the opertunity comes up.
- Hat? will we be hatting at all? I'd be fine if you guys wanna forget about the hat completely, but i was also thinking, if we wanted to hat we could donate a part of the money collected in the hat towards unicef, although the box will be there, so we could just hat seperately. Btw, i have a cool hat we could use, plenty of room for money.

I'll end it at that... as you can see i can take this very seriously, so if thats what you want then i'm your guy to talk to, otherwise i could just showup at said location, spin, and leave. Either way, this should be fun... Actually, i'm très excited.

Ack, just remembered Music... The less cd's we have the better, but we all need our own music, if we all want to pick 2-4 songs each we could get someone to burn a single cd.

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Okay, got some news. I tried to get to Unicef on Tuesday to see about getting some boxes and the such. Maybe even a poster, or something. Unfortunately, there was a rather large tree in the way of the entrance of the store T.T I don't know when I'll be able to get to them. However, I think it is possible to order them online; I'll check on that. And an answer to your hat question: it's for Unicef.... soo... No hat, methinks.

As for the music, I can get my MD player up, and you all tell me what songs you want, and I can get a little over 5 hours of music on it... As for speakers... I dunno. Something that had the same plug as headphones... I could bring my computer speakers; they're pretty powerfull, and they have a sub.

Still no ideas as to where, unfortuately... Not downtown, seeing how it's still pretty ripped up >.<'

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Ok, no hat, got it.

Speakers, if nessesarly i could bring mine, i have the Creative 4.1 set. Soooo 4 speakers and a Subwoofer. It can plug into any outlet, but if we are spinning where there is no outlet then they're out of the question.

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
It really depends on where we go with this. I say we figure that out so we could maybe get some posters up or something of the like. I guess we would need to know when we do it to make poster... meh...

We could probably get a big crowd if we go up into the park west area... gah... someone slap me... but the sad part is its true, its the most populated place in Halifax (I think anyways). So if you all agree with that then all is good... until I realize that we still don't know when. The question is, is anyone NOT free on any of those three days?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
The sooner i know, the more free i am... I need to give notice at work of when i need the night off... this IS my main halloween plan. Umm.. why do you laugh about this heavily populated area? is it ghetto or something?

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
Ehehehe... no, not ghetto... more like Prep-town with dark secrets... dark murderous secrets... not really, I just like being dramatic ^^, but it does have secrets... creeeeepy secrets. Its just not the most loved place according to... me... They had to cut a lot of trees down to build a lot of houses 2 feet apart making them look like a village cult or something creepy of the like. I'm really exagurating... I just dislike the area but a large amount of people that I don't like live there so my opinion may be biased.

Re-reading this post I realize... I need sleep, badly...

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
lol, get to sleep... but if you decide not to... i'm awake, get on msn or something....

As for that location... its alright with me, i just wanna avoid Homies and Drunk Dirty Punks.

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
*dies of laughter*

PW the ghetto. That's CLASSIC! No, this place is pretty... REALLY safe. Probably safer here in the middle of the night than it is downtown in the middle of the day. Okay, maybe NOT that safe in the middle of the night, but it's hallowe'en! There's gonna be little kids running around everywhere.

But even still: WHERE in PW? It's pretty big, and there's only a few places that I can think of as to where we could do it.

I was thinking on Purgatory's lawn, beside the sign. There'd be quite a number of people going by there, I can imagine. But... it's on Purgatory's lawn... It mught be.. slightly illegal... maybe... I don't know...

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Why in the name of all things holy is there a building called Purgatory?
If we're so stuck on where to do it Hallowe'en night, we could maybe do it the weekend before, then we wouldn't have to limit ourselves to residential areas.

P*L*U*R

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I hate to break the proverbial bubble but I have some unfortunate news.
Last night was Ash Circle's last outdoor show for fall, and right after they finished, three cops came charging up.
Turns out there's a temporary fire ban in the city, my guess is because there's so much dead foliage on the ground (thanks a million, Juaaaaaan!>.<).
I don't think anyone knows for sure how long it will take to clean up this mess, but I think till then there wont be any busking for us folk, not eve for Unicef.

P*L*U*R

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Okay... more.. slightly unfortuanate news, I'm gonna be gone on Sat and Sun, so it'll have to be the night of, or the Thurs. At least it's because I'm going camping... yay...?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
hehe, now that i spin fire camping will never be the same. "Hey mom, look at this"

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
oh, thats right... there was a topic here... Umm. I can't see the fire ban holding up much longer than 3 more weeks. Though you never know. We might have to look into the legality around this.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Ok, so what are we going to do? Should i make alternate plans?