saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Greetings & Salutations!I just wanted to mention the importance of doing a few warm-up exercises before you twirl! Ouch! I didn't warm up properly and reached really low for a nearly-dropped poi. I could hardly move my right shoulder for three days. Yucky headache too! I went to see the back-quack, and have to lay off twirling for a couple of days (boohoo).All because I couldn't wait to spin my new poi!Damn! Anyway, us old dogs can learn new tricks, and mine is a 10 minute warm-up!Cheers

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Wow, harsh!!!

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

Posted:
Cant Twirl??BUMMER!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Saffire,So what is your routine?If is stretching or is it different spinning patterns to loosen up muscle groups?Just thought I would ask.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Give everything a good stretch. Roll your shoulders back and forth a few times, backwards & forwards. Stretch out your hands and wrists too, particularly with poi.Touch your toes, if you can reach. Just wake your muscles up before you put them to work.
Non-Https Image Link
Nothing too strenuous!------------------"DONT PANIC" Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I don't know if any one else will feel me on this, but what I usually do is warm up by casually swinging through some basic moves for a bit. After that set the poi down for a minute, stretch, then pick them back up again. Suddenly the poi seem lighter, and you have to think less about the movements and everything becomes more fluid. I find it is great to do before a performance or even practicing.

HOP Newsletter