Page:
PyroSpheremember
6 posts

Posted:
Alright now I am calling out all the players.......who is sending in their footage for the new compilation video competition thing? just wonderring what I am going up against.......come on now people, don't be shy....I need some competition.....hope you all have been practicing hehe.........J.T.

AHHH TRY NOT, DO OR DO NOT BE STRONG YOU MUST---;)YODA(;

Wildfiremember

Posted:
does any body mind if i win this thing?no really, ill even do it with those glowstick things.

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hello hello :-)Well, I'm fairly crippled, but after 5 solid hours of pissing around with a staff and 3 solid hours hunched over an editing suite I think I may have something resembling a tape. And now I realise we have an extra month......yay! smile (although if I'd known earlier, I probably wouldn't be in so much pain right now). Anyways, cool, this means I can practise a bit more and get some better shots before I send my tape in. Malcom......got a question for ya. Is it okay to have multiple edits in the tape? Like, to pick out the most interesting moves and get rid of all the gunk inbetween? Or is this considered cheating? There are some moves which I can't get every time but would still like to share with everyone, so I've tried to get a good shot of each one and joined them all together (yay for free editing equipment at university!). Is this okay? Or should I send a long shot of me just jamming instead? Or as well? I don't want people to think I'm giving myself an unfair advantage by editing out all the boring stuff.....some of these moves I can only get maybe one out of ten times, but they do look quite funky when I do. Maybe I'll just send a jam tape to be entered in the comp and you can put some of my weirder tricks on the compilation video. Anyways, let me know. And good luck to everybody else with their filming.....I expect to be gobsmacked ;-)xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Yeah I was wondering that too..I just tried to squeeze all my best stuff into one 4 min video because all I have for editing is a camcorder and a VCR, stop and play, so.. also I used a wicked song, and I didn't want to have it jumping all over the place.but I'd like to see your weird and wacky tricks xaeda, I can do most of the stuff your doing in the videos, allthough that full nelson staff thing still evades me.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Well Wildfire, You'll have some stiff competition and if you want to win you better go practice now. I have to practice as well or my friend Pozee's going to break me off. You better start learning some BTB wraps cause after watching my friend I think he'll break us both off. Good luck man, You'll need it going against POZEE. (I hope he comes back in time to take this comp, if not at least I have a better chance.)LOL, you think you're going to win, HAHAHA, you make me laugh.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Wildfiremember

Posted:
editing? who needs it. myst, bring it, you and your pozer. btb wraps zzz...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I truly hope you people are joking!(Myst, I know you are doing it as a joke)First of all to proclaim yourselves the winner(s) is really down right rude and offensive, especially when there are so many amazing performers out there who do not write on this board. Please, give the egos a rest and exercise some humility already! rolleyesSecondly, did you read what is looked at? Not only technicality but creativity and presentation, which means all the behind the back wraps in the world won't help you if you haven't a good presentation. In my opinion watching someone stand there and do nothing but techinical moves is damn boring. Style, pinache, creativity with the same ole moves is what I personally find to be the challenge and interesting to watch.*sigh*I know I am not going to win, but then I am submitting more for the video compilation than anything...at the urging of those like Cassandra and Dangerboy. If I gave in to what I want to do...I'd not be submitting anything at all.Best of luck to all....the humble and the not so humble. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Thanx Malcolm! Not all of us have access to editing equipment, and i too thought that a part of the competition was your style as a whole, not what moves that you could do!Thank you for clarifying thatAnd here here Pele.------------------Frenzie - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net**Updates to page coming shortly**

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Wildfiremember

Posted:
keep laughing myst, and where is this pozee? pele, do not worry, i am a pussycat. grr. gotta have some fun though right?

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey Wildfire, Josh and I have both seen and spun with Pozee, he is very, very, very, very, very, good and has an excellent style. He is also a great guy and a very good friend.And where is he I hear you say?Well if you were paying any attention to the posts on HOP then you would have noted that here we all fare welled Pozee and wished him the best of luck. https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001373.htmlAnyway.....didn't
they teach you anything in Primary School?It's not who wins or loses - it how you play the game. smileSO play nice now kiddiesLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hellooo again smileWell, I've changed my mind, I'm not gonna do the edit thing. I got up early today and filmed some more shots of me just jamming and they look a *hell* of a lot better.....my style shows a lot more whereas the edited tape just looks like dull, isolated moves. So yeah, I must have just been having an off day yesterday, cause I'm finding it a lot easier to run these moves together now. As for the tricks I can't do reliably.....I'll leave them out and enter them in the next competition when I have them flowing well smile I think this is fairer to the majority who probably don't have access to editing gear, and it means we all get judged on how we actually spin most of the time, not the occasional outstanding flukes we all have now and then. Hopefully the others who do have editing gear will follow the same line of honesty, and nobody will have an unfair advantage. Cool :-)Anyways, how is everyone elses filming going? (save the egos here, guys, remember, it's just a game :-)...). This morning when I was filming in the botanic gardens opposite my house, I was unlucky enough to have a *giant* lawnmowing tractor drive behind me, spraying grass everywhere, in the middle of a great run of spinning! heh, it looks *soooo* funny on tape, but I'm not sending it in wink heehee. I'm pretty happy with the tapes so far though, I think I look a bit more comfortable and relaxed than I did in the ones already online. I've managed to convince the students association to let me have the cam for one more night tomorrow, so I'll film some firefingers (just for interest, not for the competition) and attempt to get my staff vid looking as good as possible. I've found seeing myself on video so useful, especially with trying out new ideas.....I can freeze frame the exact points where I screw up and try to not make the same mistake next time. So yeah, I'm having fun. And ooohhhh my muscles are complaining ;-) I've gotten so out of shape over winter.Anyways, good luck to everyone that's entering, and Pele, I thoroughly agree about the ballooning egos here......we just don't need to see this kind of snarkyness here. I know I posted a big rant about it earlier, so I won't go into it again. But please guys.....it's not necessary. If people like your videos, they will *tell* you that you're good. You don't need to tell *us* you're good, we can decide for ourselves :-) It might do you some good to think about why it matters so much to you.......would your world fall apart if someone was better than you? Mine certainly won't :-)Have fun peoples, I look forward to your vids with bated breath smile xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Generally speaking, I find the more people work themselves up on how good they are, the more critical the eyes that watch, and the more critical the response.Ive ummed and ahhed over whether I will enter or not ... guess i wotn know until ive sent the tape over!Good luck to everyone that enters, and those of you that arent saying much and think "im not good enough to enter" from what u have read here, dont be silly, everyone has a fair and equal chance and im sure the judges are going to do a marvellous job!

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
That's very nice of you pele. I never said I'd win, I said I had a better chance now that pozee was gone. A "better chance", not, I'm going to win. You act like I'm stupid and don't know that style counts. and wildfire,I guarentee, someone is going to handle you if you go into the comp thinking you're the best.Eric[This message has been edited by Myst (edited 26 September 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
That was a little bit harsh considering she pointed out in the top that she knew you were only joking....

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Myst, honey - I thought we'd covered this before...Remember not to take things too personally... smilemaybe you should edit your post to remove that really harsh call???

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Only cause you called me Honey. I'm not stupid though, I know how the comp is judged. Even though she said she knew I was joking, which I wasn't, doesn't mean she didn't read it wrong. Whatever.Eric

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm....never once did I call anyone stupid, nor would I. I did not single you out Myst. I understand fully what you have said, as well as everyone else, which is why I said I hoped you were joking...**I** am not that stupid. It does go back to taking things personally that are made as a wide ban statement. I am quite sure everyone who has said they are going to win is good, just as I am sure everyone who has said they are going to lose is also amazing. My point is that it is very tiresome to keep hearing "I am ganna win...I am ganna kick your ass" when in truth none of us has any full idea what the ones on the other side of the globe can do. It is presumptuous and moot. It is irritating, not only to me but also to others I have spoken privately with, when this is not meant to be a cut throat competition but more of a display of ones creativity in an art form and it has turned into some gladiator area bout. Just as everyone is welcome on this board, all are welcome to join this competition and enter for Circles of Light 2.....the "I'm ganna win" debates are deterring those with a less competitive nature, which is simply not right. This debate is not going to win anyone the competition, it is not going to earn you respect nor good standing in other spinners eyes.*sigh* Take it as you will and be pissed. I don't care. I am simply tired of the egotism abound. smileNow...Xaeda, I too am thankful for the extra time. I did do filming this past weekend and never being happy enough with anything I do, I welcome the extra weeks. My show received much accolades but I am still not as happy with it as I could be. I am going out to refilm soon (and I am thankful that Prom has a camera he is willing to part with for several weeks!)My best to all.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quick question, not sure how to adress malcolm directly. i am having trouble copying my camcorder video to regular vhs, if all else fails would it be a waste of time to send the camcorder video in? not sure if he has the capability or if it is even possible without my video camera. just thought i would ask, maybe someone can help me with a schematic.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
and then there was light. thank you for the info, hope to get it in soon.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wank wank money in the bank.everyone is entering for different reasons...some want the famesome want the fortunesome want the recognitionsome couldnt give a flying rats ass (specially since they are so rare and are so highly valued by the esteemed ministers in backlashistan wink - why would you give one away free?)lighten up kids.What appeals to you or even the judges doesnt make you the best in anyone else's eyes.Its meant to be fun, and if I guess correctly, Malcolm started the competition side to try to attract good twirlers who couldnt be bothered submitting a vid otherwise smileNow Myst, you know I love you, so dont get all offended at this, cuz it definitely wasnt aimed at you - your argument with scrubfire is just the latest in this saga of (IMHO) misplaced value smileJosh

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I'm pysched for this competition.just thought I'd bump this thread so people see it and enter.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Just letting those who are interested know that I am out. I really didn't like how the video turned out. I was suffering from a poisonous bite on one of the filming days and from extreme wind on the other. Nope, not happy at all. Maybe next time.*sigh* frown

Pele

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
aww..that's too bad.apparently you are one of the best..hope you get better. smile

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Malcom, wondering if you got the tape from our NYC group. Best to you all. May some sort of calm and peace come to us all soon.splinter

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
and Malcolm, sorry for spelling your name wrong.S

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
my video gets into the mail system tomorrow. i am in California, do you think it will make it there on time? it is not the best video, and already i have learned new stuff, i almost wanted to do a new one but no means or time to do it. so i will send it as is. hope it is not too long for you malcolm, feel free to pick whichever 5 minutes you like the best. and good luck to everyone, i hope to see your styles on the next compilation video. lots of good talent on this board, now to see the style that goes with it. smile

anyone got a light?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I can't wait to see what's out there.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
stupid post office, why do they have to close at 230. well tomorrow my vid will be on the way, i guess i should mail it 1st class so it gets there on time. hey malcolm, my package will be the one that smells really good. i wrapped it inside of a cologne box. again hope its not too boring, and i do not know what is on the end of the tape, i think it is barney or something.

anyone got a light?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
anyone know how long it would take to send a vid from lets say canada to new zealand?I'm really not satisfied with what's on tape right now so i might refilm.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Depends on how much Talc powder you stick in with it smileif only I had a video camera...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Cool, i have some time.Going to try to see if i can fit a session of daytime-poi, glowstick poi, and fire into a nice 5 min compilation.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Page: