GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Ok i might sound like the dumbest person to all u experienced fire pros, but what exactly is a spotter? Is it someone who is experienced to watch out incase u catch fire? And what makes a good spotter?GoldenKrispy

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A spotter (towel person, bucketman, etc) is a person watching you attentively, holding a damp (not sopping wet) towel or fire-blanket, who will put you out in case you set yourself on fire, smother your wicks when you are done, do crowd-control (if needed), that sort of thing.Pele has posted her whole spotter-qualification list, which you should search for. Very briefly, you want someone sober and alert, who knows what to watch out for. Other firedancers generally make good spotters.You should always have a spotter when you work with fire.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Trouble is, i don't know anyone else who does poi let alone be a good spotter frown So what do i do when i want to start fire then? i do feel ever so lonley!! Golden Krispy

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Do you have a friend or family member you can trust? Surely you know someone who would like to watch you spin fire. Recruit that person and tell them he/she can fill a critical role by ensuring you don't get hurt. Spotters don't *need* to be firedancers themselves.Being a spotter isn't the same as being a spectator, because you can't relax, get distracted, or just enjoy what you are watching--you really need to be attentive. That's 90% of being a good spotter. A couple of seconds can make a big difference to a person on fire.People who have done poi themselves would have a better idea what to watch for, which puts them at an advantage as spotters, that's all.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

illustramember
4 posts

Posted:
krispy, where in cornwall r u? i thought i was all alone too! i'm in truro

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
HI ILLUSTRA! YAY IM NOT ALONE!!!!!!! I live in St.Austell! U have made my day saying you live here!! Im gonna send u an email, then maybe we could get to know eachother better!! grinAs for spotters, u have been a grate help adam! There is so much to prepare for when u want to spin fire!! Alot of organisation but all so exciting!! Cheers people!Keep Smiling grinGolden Krispy