Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I did a search on this and couldn't find anything regarding it. Maybe I should have looked a little harder. Anyways I think it is about time that somebody said someting about it, because it will happen especially if you like to do wraps.

I remember when I got tangled the first time and I got scared and scarred. What I recommend is that, first of all you have a safety and all the rest that goes with that. And stay calm.

If you get caught in a simple wrap tangle try to flick the poi off (unwrap) if this doesn't work, use a free hand (preferably your own) and quickly untangle yourself, you shouldn't get burnt if you hold the WICK and are quick about this because as hot as flames can be, it takes a little while to burn through person.

Similar advice for a more complicated tangle, with a few more pointers. Usually a complicated tangle can be farily easily undone if you let go of you poi at the handle and straighten yourself out so the poi can slide down and off you body.

Have a safety, stay calm, let go of you poi, stay safe.

I hope this helps to save folk out there from geting too crispy.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Lil Kunimember
11 posts

Posted:
So much love in this post!

I agree though, straightening out your body and letting them fall off of you is usually the best bet for wraps....I just wish I would have known this before I charred up my naughty bits.

Kidding!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Good post! You can never have too much safety advice.

Most tangles that dont just flick off can be removed if you just shake your arm/leg/whatever as hard as you can, but keep the extremity pointing down - you don't want it to fly off in a random direction.
I'm sure this has saved a couple of serious burns for me.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I love my wrap scars. And yes they do burn you if you grab the wick! Let them fall to the ground if you can unwind them off your arms. The flame goes UP, if you stand there tring to untangle them your fingers will get burned. (Especilly if the chains are knotted)
So the best thing to do is drop them so the finger holds are away from the flames. This makes it a lot easyer to untangle since the flames are going up, and you are untangling the chains beside the fire. I haven't done this in a while but I think the chains can be hot so watch out.

It is a lot easyer, and much safer to de-tangle/ De-knott chains hoizontally, than Verticaly.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Or do staff instead

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
*walks in behind Charles and pours ice cold gadorade on him then walks out whistling*

That'll get the fire out
Kinudin

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
good info because one time the poi wrapped together and whipped me in the back of the head and my head caught on fire for a sec but luckily i had a spotter! !

[ 13. December 2002, 10:35: Message edited by: tiamat_22580 ]

¿

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Only now notices that he is covere din sticky gatorade...

----

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?