Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
As we all know, twirling is an absolute rush, and is very fun. Some might as well call it an addiction ( i know i do smile) But, i know there isnt a single one of us that hasnt hurt ourselves doing this. I haven't really hurt myself that many times (usually i just slap myself in the leg with a glowstick or something) but, i did have a reallly nasty one. I was in my backyard and i decided to try and do turns all the way across my yard...bad idea... i was doing good, but dizziness set in very fast. I myself thought i was going in a straight line, but i obvisouly wasnt :-( I ended up falling and landing face first on my deck steps, and i damn near broke my nose (it was swelled for a good week or two) So that by far had to be the worst pain ive ever been through from this stuff...so what about the rest of you? any bad stories like me?

Pain is pleasure.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Practising firestaff (unlit) one day, with no shirt on, I caught myself in the chest and (literally) nearly tore my nipple-ring out.When i first started out | used to use a really heavy staff in an effort to build my endurance levels. This was the source of numerous injuries . . . I caught myself on the elbow during a behind the back pass. I had that bruise for weeks and (at first) could hardly move my elbow.I hit myself extremly hard in a very personal (boy) place and spent a good long time in the foetus posistion.I got carried away during a throw and ripped ligaments in my arm. Unfortunately i thought this was just a bruise and kept training for about a week before i went to the hospital with this one!But I learned from my mistakes and am a much better person for it . . .i think . . . winkno fire related stuff as yet tho. Except maybe loading too much fuel and not shaking sufficiently. Fiery rain - very pretty, extremely dangerous.------------------C@ntus

Meh

shevamember
3 posts

Posted:
the first poi i had, had a big metal screw at the and of it, and one time, while i was practicing in my kitchen (i live in an appartment with not much room in it to practice) i tried to do a trick and i got one poi right to my forhead. ofcourse it got all red and swallen.... it's still heart when i think about it.anyway, now i have zuni-poi so it doesn't heart that much...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
well, this one time, at band camp we all got together and... winksorry, couldn't resist.no serious wounds to myself, however I split the skin on my man's cheek as a result of a projectile unlit staff. "oops, sorry babe! go look in the mirror - there's blood everywhere!"I don't know how many times I have to tell myself NO TWIRLING IN THE HOUSE!------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Yeah, no serious injuries - I reckon my coffee table's more dangerous and has caused me more bruising than twirling ever could!Twirling and juggling are also actively encouraged inside at our place smile ade

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I once got my fire poi wrapped around my wrist for about six seconds while going into a thread the needle, and got a 2 x 3 inch burn, patterned like the wick and the two screwheads. It looks cool smile I show it off to people...Aloe gel rocks, btw...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!B l A c K i E

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
Is that Ade from the juggle workshop in Newtown Sydney.....Hello how are you...if that is you.........if not hello anyway.......great club...thanks guys...I only went once as I found you a bit late...was off to Thailand.....Anniexx

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
LOL, My stupid ass hit myself with my homemade wick and got a 16 gauge wire mark on my bicept. It doesn't look like it's going away any time soon. it's like 2 inch's long in the middle of my bicept. I don't get glowstick battle wounds anymore, I've refined my tricks and am really consistant with the exception of a couple wraps getting caught up every once in a while, I don't mess up. laterEric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
flash fire!!! that was very cutei thought of the same thingand back to the subject- i only have blue marks all over my sides - poi with big metal screw...and blue marks on ribs but nothing serious(!!)actually, i don't know how they got there...no pain no gain right??peace, love and fireAcid[This message has been edited by Acid (edited 02 August 2001).]

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I was at party a few months ago, working out the mexican wave... tangled above my head and came down in my face. Tore open my eye ring. I was all sweaty (and not in a normal state of mind) it took me a while to realize I was wiping blood off my brow

I smell something burning.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
Practising firestaff (unlit) one day, with no shirt on, I caught myself in the chest and (literally) nearly tore my nipple-ring out.
<>all i can say is ...damn.Lets see, aside from all the regular bruises, welps, & nut shots, my wosrt incidence was when i was spinning at a house party.This was with glowsticks. I had alot of people watching me i the front room of this house (which was huge) and it was pitch black in theroom. When i finally stopped spinning, i dropped my hands, and it cause the glowsticks to arch upward and probably because i had consumed that evening, i didnt even flinch....WHAAAAP under the right eye.I handed them off to the next person, and sat down. After about 10 minutes, my face was really hurting so i figured i should go look at it. I went in the bathroom and when i hit the light, i had a 1/2 inch gash under my right eye, and had blood down my face and on my shirt. <>>Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hey Annie, different Ade - I'm only just learning to juggle now blush** hello anyhoo **Ade

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
I know what your talkin about shiznot...unfortunatley..a few weeks ago i was going in to a behind the head butterfly, and i was trying to do something new (dont even ask me what was new about it) and i hit my eyebrow ring..doh... frown It didnt bleed that bad, but it hurt worse then getting the damn thing pierced.

Pain is pleasure.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Seriously I think the worst pain I have ever been in was when I first started and wasn't used to flinging weight around. I have always had strong lower body, weak upper body. My arms and shoulders felt as if they were tied in knots for weeks...but I kept going and built up a resistence...but damn I hurt. Ben-Gay, hot showers and back rubs from my beloved friends were (and still can be) my saviours.Past that I haven't shed blood. I did get a tongue burn from a cotton ball on my tongue (long story) and I have singed my eyelashes but not really had bloodshed or serious injury >>Pele knocks on wood<< thusfar.....I have a deal with Whipping Boy though, if I get burned "seriously" (he still needs to define what that is) then I have to stop what burned me. Therefore...I am ****very****careful.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Further to my earlier post. Today i hit myself full in the mouth and bent my lipring. These piercings seem to attract the damn thing . . . smile------------------C@ntus

Meh

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Since we're kind of on the topic. I've hit myself a few times but haven't gotten burned yet... knock on wood. I think the main reason is not having much exposed metal on my wick. Tonight I saw a girl who had CRAZY burns from using a wire cage type of wick. I don't know how/why you wire cage guys use them.At least put little charm bracelets hanging from them so you can get cool little happy face and dolphin brands on your wraps. wink

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
The first time I swung my first set of poi I got about 3 spins in before whacking myself in my favourite place shocked (favourite for other reasons that is, not for whacking). Had to curl up on the sofa for half an hour before continuing. And do you know, I've never made the same mistake again!And how about those beaming poi? They look fantastic but man! Can they hurt! Particularly dangerous is the butterfly. If the balls hit each other they shear off at 90 degrees - i.e. one swings forward and back towards your head while the other cannons straight into a kneecap, ouch! Been left limping for days after one of those!Of course, the thought of catching one of them in the face has greatly enhanced my accuracy and sobriety when swinging smile

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
I don't think I've ever hurt myself (at least seriously). I hit myself with clubs and poi HUNDREDS of times, but nothing that left marks.I'm very careful when spinning. And I've played with fire all my life :P I respect it a LOT.But, I hurt myself all the time. I hit furniture, I trip on my own feet and fall, and last Monday my boyf forced me to drop off a half-pipe wearing in-line skaters. Guess what happened. I have to walk like an old lady now. Or Quasimodo (remember? the hunchback of Notredame). Ouch.Heheheehe.peace!------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Been learning staff and so far have burned myself badly twice but can happily say I'm learning from my tragic mistakes. Have also smacked myself real hard in the face with l.e.d poi which hurt like hell but is now a distant and painful memory! Big love to all the firebugs out there xx smile xx

pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
Sunday was the day I lit up for the first time (Man was it amazing). Anyways, I was doing a performance right with sunset, on the middle of a beach..it was really awesome, like everyone was watching, taking pictures etc. So like half way through the burn I decided to just start playing around a little and I was doing all kinds of crazy spins and whatnot, and somehow I managed to get one poi wrapped around my neck, where it promptly stuck and begin to sear away my neck flesh. Now i have a 2 inch burn on the side of my neck..going to make a great scar ;-)

All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Hee. I was teaching a four-year-old how to do some simple things.... And eventually the two of us got to experimenting... Her being four and all, I had lent her my nice soft poi. I was using my chains with the bolt hangin' out the bottom end of the wick (Adam - those wicks you make look more and more attractive every day... It's just that I'm not allowed to buy new ones until mine wear out... and they just **won't**!) when we were trying to spin while doing log rolls (Alyssa with just one poi, me, like a dumb@ss using both.) when one of my poi must have brushed the ground, and then bounced sideways, bolt first... Made an impressive gouge in my hairline. It also impressed upon Alyssa the importance of staying outside the performance area, and the importance of waiting until you're "ready" to try new things. If I can do that to myself as an "experienced grown-up"... Heh.Alyssa's comment?"Wow. That's really gross. Do you want me to get my mommy for you? She has bandaids in her purse..."

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
i've been to the hospital twice. once for five head stitches from the staff, and the other for severly burning six fingers when the handles of my ropes wicked fuel and caught fire. of course, it was a performance so i kept spinning with them for about 45 seconds. dumb. there is no shame in dropping a toy if it means your personal safety. if anything, do it with a flourish while yelling "cursed willfull thing! smile ------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
First time I used fire I had borrowed my friends poi and managed to hit the back of my head whilst doing a tuck turn, a bit of minor singing but not too bad, Also hit myself in the groin with my zuni's a few times shocked much to the amusement of my mum before she realised how hard I had done it and rushed off to get me some ice!!

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
yeah had the devil sticks fly into my face on fire but only a small scratch and burn. the glow sticks have never really hurt that much, maybe i'm getting imune to them and they ain't that heavy.when first doing shows for people with the poi on fire (made them myself and were really heavy) i ended up hitting myself between the legs, some witty person in the audience yells out "great balls of fire" i think yeah hilarious ya smart ass, trying to hide my discomfort, and as for the accidental wraps around my neck while my hair loses a couple of inches arrrgh.but i have to say the most painful was spinning a heavy staff in a forward weave really fast and wack, straight into my shin, had a big bruise for a month.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

kidglowmember

Posted:
Once I was doing a behind the back weave and one of my glowsticks came up and hit me in the forehead. It didn't hurt too much cuz I just ignore the pain and I didn't think anything of it till my friend told me to look in a mirror. I had hit myself right on a vein in my forehead and it had swolen an inch off my head! I thought I had poped somthing. It took a good hour to go back down. I'm much more carefull now.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wow I can say that I have never drawn blood like you crazy ppl. However I am getting a little outa hand burning myself. I love doing bare skin wraps and the firefly's are ripping my arm apart I have a kevlar sleeve but, like I said I love it bareskinned. I also have two nice staff burns both happened the first time I lit it. one of them on my right arm a good 3 or 4 in long when a behind the back pass went wrong and I tried to get it off me with my arm it slid all the way down. Another staff burn on my left side from doing my first burn with my shirt off I have little screw in eyelets for putting streamers on my staff and it came down and hit me strait on. It's gonna leave a nice half-moon scar, also next to that is a trailing burn. Over the weekend I got a little to carryed away and trailed from one side to the other and where the trail started it burned in a little. I was getting to thinking over the weekend that maybe just maybe because I'm not into getting tattoo's that this might be my way of getting them :PAlso with all this talk of burns and cuts what does everyone use on them? I have never applied anything to mine as they never really hurt. But I would like it if someone could tell me what I could use to keep them from scarring.Also I went to a rave once and will never put the time into one again (unless paid to go) I was forced to put down my flames and pick up glowsticks. Being so unused to the weight I ended up hitting myself way more then I ever had, I was also putting much more speed and power into it which helped the 13 welts and glowstick shaped bruses take hold. I hate glowsticks now and will never buy another one to spin with again.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 07 August 2001).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC