Knagi
Total posts: 397
Posted:I had one hell of a weekend and I feel like sharing it with you all. I went to this party named burning corn an ohio event where they attempted to recreate things that would happen at burning man. they made a 10 foot tall corn effigy and set it ablaze during the night. Oh wow was that a huge fire the comfort zone was about 30 feet away and there were crazy ppl running around inside of the to hot to be area, yup including me I think I might have been the most crazy one of them all I went right up to the fire and stuck my staff in it for a light. I had some kinda coloring goop in my hair that I actually started to hear sizzle. There were also way to many naked guys running around and not enough naked girls. The guys putting on the event turned out to be fire breathers. Oh wow I saw the look on thier faces when they were running around with a bottle of lamp oil and a torch they looked like they were in some serious pain. I attempted to blow a 151 fireball befor they started but it didn't ignite maybe I did it wrong who knows. Later in the night the two breathers were taking turns running though the fire. There were also many poi ppl all girls I was the other male fire artist and I was leagues above anyone else there for the most part all the others were doing was like 4 basic moves. I felt kinda bad going out there and busting buzzsaws and mad wraps. My arms are so torn up I got my first offical burns that night. I had my shirt off and got a really nice half moon burn from the eyelets I put on the ends of my staff for the streamers. Got another nice burn across my arm that I don't wrap on from where the staff slid down my back and I kicked it off with my arm, Guess not fast enough. I also took a couple sets of towel wicks and steel wool pads. When I used them no one knew what was comming not even me I thought I had enough space in that 30 foot comfort zone but when it got going with my balls-out approch to it I was lauching showers well over 40 feet away I heard ppl scrambling to get out of the way. I didn't really get to see just how far it went. But I do know that all night no one was cheering for the flames until that. I felt everything that was happening around me stop and ppl started cheering :P I also gave a set to another poi person that was there so I could get a good look at what it really looked like... WOW I nearly fell over seeing it then remembering that I did it without a shirt
Non-Https Image Link
There were also ppl there that just should not have been doing flaming poi since there were so many chains sitting around ppl who had never done it went and picked some up and started spinning them at thier sides. I remember seeing this one older lady very heavy set spinning and every other revolution she was hitting herself saying how she liked the sound they made.. WTF! At least I was very set on saftey for the night even with me being too friendly with my magic juice <151 rum> The ppl that were spinning came up with an idea to go and get a bucket of water but thanks to pele I was able to stop that idea dead in it's tracks. Also something that really pissed me off is when I came over to the fuel dump and asked someone to put an end of my staff out for me they all just kinda looked at me dumbfounded none of them had ever had expericence putting out a flame. Needless to say I gave them all a nice talking to for that one :P One of the poi people named ginger had the biggest set of poi heads I've ever seen think she said somethin like 50 feet on each head I tried spinning them and they were on chains big enough to tow a car. I also got to play with some very short fire fingers I'm talkin short like 3 in. away from your hand I was bustin some liquid dancing with them and think I'm gonna make a set just as short for myself. I had some nice times with my staff I think I like it more then poi when I do poi I work by switching though as many moves as I can as fast as I an it's kinda just move move move move, but the staff seemed to have a life of it own, it knew where it wanted to go and I just kinda let it flow I had some mad tosses I got it like 30 feet up spinning as fast as I could make it and It came down my hands just seemed to know how to handle this super fast spinning pole and they flowed with it perfectly. I'm very happy with the set of poi and the bag I made up for this event, everything in my bag is fully configurable I can do long chains by linking two chains together I can do long chains two wicks double short chains just about anything I'd want to do with them I also had streamers that I could clip on my poi or move onto my staff very nice kit :P Well I think that about wraps it up all in all I had a very inlighting time, and I'm not nearly as concered about my well being as I was befor seeing that lady beat herself with flaming poi
Non-Https Image Link
It's sad I know but I'll still carry my towels and other safety things with me. Oh one more thing I can now put my staff ends out with my hands :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Delete Topic

protozoa
Total posts: 148
Posted:Wow, Knagi, I'm so jealous!Ginger's the amazing spinner from VA who got me on track when I started learning. She really is fantastic!Wish I'd been there,-K

Delete

RavingLunatic

Total posts: 286
Posted:Kewl, that sounds awesome..strange, I swear I started this thread last night.. I called it shambhala, about a similar kind of festival..now when I search for shambhala it shows the thread, then I click on it, and it take me here, and my message is gone? weird.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Delete

suz
Total posts: 12
Posted:Hey Knagi.Before I reply, I have one word, paragraphs. Make all that stuff a little easier to read, kay?yes, Burning Corn was a trip and I had a blast. Was nice getting to meet you and some of the other crazy people out there. And there is nothing wrong with all the poi ppl being girls *smirk*. Really shouldn't pick on other people who know less than you. Especially not when your beggin one of them for a ride to Delaware in the fall! She might not be so willing for ride share. Nice to get to learn some new things and give sparkly poi a spin. Just bought four packs of those things and I am totally addicted to it. Haven't seen Bleu's pictures yet, but I am waiting patiently. You are fun to watch (but cocky enough as is so no more compliments from me) and still I keep wondering just how long it is going to take me to get to that point. But I am not willing to have arms that look like yours, ouch! But anyways, it was great. Looking forward to Playa del Fuego in October too. Maybe I will find a few other things to go to before then. Suz

Delete

Posted:Guys... I have just had my first _real_ go of fire poi (made myself, bike brake cable an' the legs off a pair of jeans...!).Of course I managed to burn my wrist with the wire, and this with my mother watching an' all... but the big question is ... how _are_ you supposed to put them out without resorting to a bucket of water?I span some other girl's fire (
Non-Https Image Link
) at a festival a few months ago, and you could just spin them really fast to put them out. However, this didn't work with mine. It's lamp oil I'm using, could that be it??Any suggestions muchos welcome,p_g xx

Delete

Blackbird
Total posts: 337
Posted:Easy, put it on the floor and cover it in a towel or teacloth or something. I have to do that with my staff because it's too short to swing out.

x X x Ĉ К я x X x

Delete

Peregrine
Total posts: 428
Posted:yes definitely have a *damp* towel to smother wicks and yourself with....which is the absolute minimum safety item you should have....please people! go read and research the safety before lighting up by yourselves!Pere

Delete

Knagi
Total posts: 397
Posted:Sorry suz not meaning to pick on you guys, I tried my best to give you guys as many new moves as I could.
Non-Https Image Link
That night I had a major break-down of reality, From the moment I got there I was calling myself by another name. The burns and cuts I've come to totally accept as something I am, <you wanna wrap don't get the fire flys> they never hurt because of the rush I get while spinning. However the ones I got with the staff are a differnt story, I knew I shouldn't have lit it so soon but it was alot of fun thanks for making me The towel wicks I just let burn to death they must have lasted over 20 minutes, when one went out I just stomped the other out, I'm working on putting my staff out with my hands so I don't need to keep tracking down an out towel, or looking like an idiot swinging it around :PLike I said I've been at it for 6 months now everyday for the first 4 months, for about 2-3 hours a day :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Delete

Posted:Thanks guys...by the way, please don't worry about my safety - my MUM was there (!) with a bucket of water, nothing went on fire, and i wasn't too bothered about the wicks getting soaked as they're strictly temporary.A towel it shall be...p_g xx

Delete