• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > one-handed overhead butterfly

Login/Join to Participate

Neeko
Total posts: 68
Posted:Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I hope it's not too stupid of a question. Is it possible do go from a one-handed butterfly to a one-handed overhead or btb butterfly? It is an idea I have been toying with and I am not even sure if it is physically possible. If it is, can anyone give me any pointers?

Delete Topic

Amber
Amber

Total posts: 48
Posted:i think i do that. i just throw it over my head.

Delete

Myst
addict
Total posts: 439
Posted:Yes they are all posible. 1) over the head (helecopter style) one handed butterfly. do a one handed butterfly then slowly lean it back to bring it over your head moving your hand forward to backwards(still tilting your wrist slightly from left to right). 2) Over the head one handed butterfly (to behind the head butterfly) same thing as a regular butterfly over the head butterfly, you just wait till the poi is at the bottom of their arch then as they come up, bring them slowly to the back of your head. From there you can leave them there for as many beats as you want or you can bring them right back in fromt of you with the same timing you would with a regular two handed one. 3) BTB one handed butterfly.( this one is hard to do with zuni poi) Do a BTB butterfly, then as figure out which poi is just a touch behind the other poi. After you figure this out, it is now your job to put your pinky out right after that first poi goes by. As you hook the following poi with your pinky, start twisting your wrist like you would if it were in front of you. To make it easier and to give you a little more clearence, you may want to bend your knees a little. Once you get it down, try standing straight up and make it pretty.4) one handed butterfly to a behind the back one handed butterfly. (this one is hard as well)Do a one handed butterfly and this time when the poi are as far as they can get from eachother(the left and right side of the butterfly) bring them slightly up and then to behind you( flipping your wrist upside down as you move to the back) it has changed directions as well.Good luck.EricIf anyone else can make this a little more descript for Neeko, I would appreciate a little help.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Delete

Neeko
Total posts: 68
Posted:Thanks for the help Myst. I guess it'll just take some practice and a lot of bruises.

Delete

courtnee
Total posts: 37
Posted:i swear, as soon as i think of something else to incorporate into an 'act' i see a thread on it a week later and feel like no matter what i come up with it'll be seen as a ripoff. nice to know it can all be done, at least.-------------------nee

-nee

Delete

Myst
addict
Total posts: 439
Posted:Courtnee, who cares. If you learned it on your own and with no help from anyone, you can see it as your own move. I learned a lot of stuff on my own and sounded really dumb when I brought it to this board all excited about it. I didn't know how to count beats and thought I was doing a 5 beat windmill when I was really doing a 4 beat windmill. I did come up with it on my own and had no clue it had been done. So that move I think of as my own and don't care who tells me otherwise.(even though it had already been done) have fun and keep coming up with your own moves.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Delete