Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > contra-rotating overlap buzzsaw

Login/Join to Participate

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Total posts: 1015
  Posted: One of the local spinners has this style where everything he does looks really easy and fluid, but when you try to figure out *what* he's doing, you wind up just scratching your head. Last night I did manage to figure this one out.Get your chains doing circles in opposite directions. Hold your hands straight out in front (the buzzsaw). Now cross your wrists over each other, so your left chain is on your right side, and vice-versa.I've been looking for more contra-rotating moves, so this is perfect. I'm going to try to alternate it with the contra-rotating burn-the-nose (which looks really cool, by the way).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Delete Topic

Posted:Nice one
Non-Https Image Link
)gotta try that...Josh

Delete

ShawnF

Total posts: 162
  Posted:Yeah, I've fussed with the crossing and uncrossing with the contrasting spins a bit before. It does look pretty neat, but confusing to the brain
Non-Https Image Link
I wonder if a weave would be manageable?As a note, if you have the Poi going contrasting directions, you know how you can turn 90 degrees and be in butterfly? If you cross your arms and then turn, you can do a crossed arms butterfly which is pretty neat (easier but slower way I found to get into that is start with regular backward spins in alternating time, cross your arms, then angle both until they cross in front).

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Posted:Not sure how you'd do a weave when the chains are going opposite directions. I've been doing lateral butterfly crossovers, which move through the same planes as the weave, but that's different.I actually *start* my contra-rotating moves in a normal butterfly and then turn 90° some of the time.

Delete

Timmy

Total posts: 45
  Posted:hey there!If you do that side-to-side buttrfly thingy, but with the Poi in "split-time", then you end up with a sorta weave, but contra-rotating......or something. It feels nice to do anyway
Non-Https Image Link
Tim /|\

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
  Posted:I love old school threads!Anyone able to do a weave with contrasting directions??Also is the buzzsaw perpendicular to your body(like a butterfly), or parallel like just regular spinning - trying to get an image of this

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Posted:In the buzzsaw, your arms are straight out in front of you, and your chains are rotating in a vertical plane. Like doing side-circles, but out in front.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Total posts: 877
  Posted:are you just talking about a cross-over with the Poi going in opposite directions?Or are you talking about burning the nose with the Poi spinning in opposite directions?I'm not too familiar with this "contra-rotating" terms.Bendy - doing a weave with the Poi spinning in opposite directions is technically possible. All you need to do is to start off with a one-handed butterfly in each hand (hence 4 chains). Basically what it is, is doing a forward and backwards weave at the same time. What i want to know is if you can 5 beat that move... not to mention doing that behind the back... hrm...Ok, im off to practice
Non-Https Image Link
------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Posted:Phunky--Yes, by contra-rotating, I meant "opposite directions," but the move I was describing was neither a crossover nor a burn-the-nose. It's similar to a burn-the-nose except you hold your wrists crossed, so you aren't really in a burn-the-nose position.

Delete

clairebear

Total posts: 52
  Posted:um, 'scuse my ignorance, but what is (and how do you do) "burn the nose"?

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Delete

Mark P
BRONZE Member since Oct 2001

Mark P

old hand

Total posts: 1031
  Posted:I'm with Claire on this one.WTF is 'burn the nose'? I have come close to burning my nose several times but I am sure it is not a move!------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Posted:"Burn the nose" is a simple move. Extend your arms straight forward. Make a vertical circle inside your arms. You can do this forwards or backwards (or contra-rotating), in-time or split-time. You can even work some of these variations in with other moves, for example, you can drop a split-time BTN in the middle of a weave--someone here on HoP calls that "the tunnel", which I like. You can combine the contra-rotating BTN with a 90° turn into a butterfly.

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
  Posted: Written by: Bendy

I love old school threads!<P>Anyone able to do a weave with contrasting directions??

biggrin

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
  Posted:Interesting timing to resurrect this old thread, Irinus taught me a proper antispin weave yesterday smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
  Posted:this is even more basic, its butterfly weave.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete