ThiaLuciferBRONZE Member
Pikachu!
11 posts

Posted:
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to take my fire fans on a trip with me to Calagry. Id be flying so I wonder if it is possible to take them on the plane if they are in a bag and going into the cargo hold??

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Probably but you'd need to ask the airline to be sure.

ThiaLuciferBRONZE Member
Pikachu!
11 posts

Posted:
Thanks I guess I will have to do that. I was trying to avoid the phone call and trying to explain what fire fans are...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Do not try? Just say props used in fire-performing or something similarly vague.

And give them details of how you plan to pack them and such.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
WOW! You're actually brave enough to let it in the cargo hold?
I remember carrying a guitar with me on a plane, in it's casing (yes, it's big). Maybe they would let you take it with you inside?
I mean... have you ever seen workers load a plane? They are just kind of throwing things in randomly (from what I've seen). I think fans are a bit expensive to be handled like that.
Although nothing I ever ordered from HoP got broken in mail, I think it's more because all mail is packed separately in bags and boxes.

I'm so smart I'm practically retarded.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can mark items as fragile, in which case they do take a bit more care.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
and this one time... at the airport... they told me they don't do fragile stickers frown

I'm so smart I'm practically retarded.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
as far as I remember, guitars can be taken on board and stowed in the closet that they have there.

Your fans are best transported with a piece of plywood-sheeting, better even is some pvc...

Every airport should have "fragile" stickers... in case they claim not to have some, it might mean "at hand"...

From my personal experience: they don't take you serious and just mean "go away"... don't go away, never get upset. Breathe deeply, explain to them that the content of your bag are fragile and you would like the loaders to take extra care.

Other than that inform yourself on "limited release" and the liability of airlines, in case your stuff gets broken.

Knowledge is power, being centered is bliss and resilience gets you where you want to go hug

good luck and safe travels

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ps: they might refuse your fans on grounds that they have pokey ends from steel and usually smell like kerosene... other than that you could give it a shot and try - they should fit in the overhead compartment

ThiaLuciferBRONZE Member
Pikachu!
11 posts

Posted:
Thanks and yah they should fit in the overheads I got those Wicked Fire Fans from trickcooncepts they are kinda small but yah I guess I will be giving the air line a call when the time gets closer for my trip.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Just a little tip....
They are circus props! On no account mention fire toys / fire performing / kero / parrafin / fire / burning / fuel / etc...

I also find it helps if you cover the wick in a sock and then wrap it all in tape (stripey hazard tape looks good!)

I've flown / sailed with fire props a few times and never had a problem. As soon as you mention circus props you can watch their eyes glaze over as they loose understanding and interest... most of the time grin

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

jared9470BRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
so my wife spins poi but wants to learn staff as well and her birthday is in june i dont know which staff to get her i can afford the led 270 dollar one but she spins fire and is only learning should i just get it or what i just dont know

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
errm, this is not the right thread for this request... you may consider opening up a new on...

my suggestion would be to not just buy a product because it's expensive and cool, but because you feel that she'd just love to have it.

there are myriads of staff out there and to learn she'd be happy with a broomstick... especially if you'd wrap a nice handle around it, weigh it at the ends and write "I love you" on it.

smile

ThiaLuciferBRONZE Member
Pikachu!
11 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot Fearpig!!!