Page:
cherrybombstranger
6 posts

Posted:
ok, this has probably been asked a ton of times before...

i guess i'm okay practicing out in the park without fire. i can just wear headphones to ward off nosy question-askers and i don't mind looking like a weirdo.

but where can i practice with fire when i choose to do so? i'm in north jersey right outside nyc, and i have access to beaches. what are the laws on fire? is it illegal to practice fire poi/staff in public? :\ i live in an apartment so i don't really have a backyard. just go to the least populated area i can find or what? haha

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKittyMy girlfriend and I carry around a binder full of all sorts of saftey info and guidelines and MSDS on our fuels. Stuff like that sets you apart from the random guy who doesnt know about fire.

I go spinning with a fireman - saves all the time and hassle grin always having a risk assesment to hand (great having a fireman in our performance group laugh3 )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Ooh, JayK, sounds like a plan, I'm taking out my scetchbook as soon as I get home.

I'm thinking, 5 arms, 4 spinning poi, one holding a staff. I'm thinking tribal markings on the face. Long hair would be a nono, so I'm thinking bald with the tribls going up over the cranium... Loose pants, and a sculpted torso. Bare feet. Yeah I feel inspired.... (but first I'll have to make it to another day in the office.)

What is life, without a little risk!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Why do I get the impression that this has gone severely skewed based on the initial topic...?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
read you own signature and you will have your answer.

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Anyway, you've gotta have a poi god before you can have holy places to spin in tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Ooh, a temple?

I think high ceilings, and a round building... with circular patterns on the floor to give people their own spinning place. And off course there should be a special prayer spinning routine.

So we can all worship Lord Poi together!!!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Lord poi, hehe, I like it, we can have an entire flow arts pantheon.
Staff goddess and little fire eating sprites flying around. I can't wait for this. Back to the initial topic, lets practice in the new poi temple!

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmm... I dunno, why are the goddesses lesser than the Lord? Surely they should be equal... And we know they are not because poi>staff... isn't that right, Poje?

hug

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Lord Poi and the lady of Fan

their offspring: Staffeus, Whipas, Hoopia, Meteorus and whatever you can think of.

and the Sprife (sprite + fire = sprife in my logic)

924 posts

Posted:
who needs fire sprites?

Salamanders all the way!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Partially because I was thinking sexy little fire faries instead of newt like things, lol. We may need to work on some names, but Lord Flow reigns over his subjects with grace and fairness with equal love and flame for all.

924 posts

Posted:
very true.

... now I'm trying to work out if we can get a myth cycle..

I think the Juggling god made the world... he dropped several balls into the primordial water. That became land, he threw several too high, they became the stars, then in frustration he threw his last two balls at the sky, they got stuck and became the sun and moon.

tongue2

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Juggling is definitly pure. I like it so far. I'm thinking that the juggling god gave each of the other flow dieties their props. What do you think, or that he created his children and told them to go forth and find ther own flow.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Also I'm feeling kinda guilty about 100% thread jacking this, lol. Maybe we should start a new one about the flow creation myth?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'd like to petition for the removal of the word "Flow"

"flow" is well overused, imho and its come to represent the same kind of notion that makes people assume that since I do poi I MUST be high all the time.

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I rather like flow, it kind of represents everything that we do, we flow, we spin, we whirl. Flow arts has a nicer ring than object manipulation too.

924 posts

Posted:
Personally, I'd say Lord Flow, could probably make a half decent title, or honorific for any of the gods.

Although now I need to work out where the rest come from...

I think the Juggling god should start practising/inventing a reeaally hard trick with eggs. Anyone got a suggestion?

Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Well how about the juggling god Didn't get his satisfaction from juggling balls anymore, so he decided to juggle eggs, but he dropped them and they broke, hatching the entire pantheon from these eggs.

Then off course he tried to kill his children, because he wanted to be the only god, but the kids worked together to fend off the juggling god, taking his flow-toys away and beating him at his own game. Now the juggling god is banished to the far out reaches of the universe and all he does now is juggle the planets into their orbits.

The flowgods are now reigning supreme on earth each handling their own discipline. And they are spreading the glorious art amongst us humans as the muses did the arts...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'd say the juggling god would probably just juggle with whatever was around him... eggs, large chunks of earth, gasses. I'm sure you could do some interesting patterns with large bubbles of gas in space if you (as a god) could keep them from just expanding out into the vacuum of space. Air bubbles in zero gravity water would work...

I'd also say that the juggling god is not banished, he is omnipresent... why do you think that gravity is the weakest force? It makes juggling a whole lot easier, does it not? Juggling is also probably more present in human society than poi and such things.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I am almost going to have to write this up. Yay for tutoring first year practicals. Gives me plenty of time to think of stuff. tongue2

924 posts

Posted:
can we work on this together?

I likes mythological stuffs. Is part of what I wanna do at Uni ^^

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Juggling is everywhere. From juggling a life, a job, a significant other and so on. What we all do can be seen as juggling in some sort. I think we should have some sort of more peaceful spilt. Some sort of weird carnival trick. Juggling god looks in a fun house mirror type of thing. The different sections of the mirror all contain an image of the juggling god, who then step out and assume their own indiviual talents. In this way, all the arts are related peaceful and all are a form of juggling.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
haha, lined up so perfectly! juggling lines up in the post 4 times.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not with my screen resolution. tongue2

I dunno, I like the whole conflict and drama approach.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
How about a conflict and drama that was solved through a division of domains of some kind?? Maybe thats why it tends to be hippies that poi/staff and... less... hippyish people that juggle?

Perhaps it was a division over whether or not it should be competitive with others?

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I've seen a lot of hippies juggle, but I've not seen a lot of math geeks spin poi. Hmm, being competitive indicates there are multiple jugglers, so maybe multiple juggling gods and one decided to create others? I dunno, I'm not sure if I like being created directly from juggling, I like being a aspect of juggling rather than an inferior sounding offspring.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Perhaps the movement of the balls that we throw work the minds of each of the respective gods? smile Making us the creator of the god itself.

This does make us a 'lesser' than the god itself, but only as much that an individual is 'lesser' than a collective to which it contributes.

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Kind of like the gods exist within us and because of us. They have their own form and such, but their essense and power so to speak, is of the community that they represent. I like that much. It makes the poi and staff gods better than say, the gods of plate spinning.

924 posts

Posted:
man I like this thread smile

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
So the poi god and the staff god had it off and what do we get? Doubles!

Wait... this is so off topic now... New fread?

hug

Page: