Forums > Help! > Where to go from here....

Login/Join to Participate

WhiteNyteSILVER Member
I'm No Where Near Pro, and I Know It!!!
9 posts

Posted:
Hey all, I'm needing some help on where to go from here, maybe some tips, please????

Currently, I've gotten these down, so-so:

Forward Spin (Same-Time and Split Time)
Reverse Spin (Same-Time and Split Time)
3 Beat Weave (Forward, Reverse, 180 3 Beat Turn, 360 3 Beat Turn)
Low BTB Turn (Right and Left)
High Behind The Head Turn (Right and Left)
Under Arm Turn (Right and Left)
2 Beat BTB for one cycle (Right, then Left) Working on reverse (Left, then Right)
Working on Front Butterfly (having a bit of a plane problem with it, my butterflies want to lean forward or angle in a diamond shape)
Plane Awareness isn't too much of a problem as I practice a lot at night with the LED's lit and in front of a large bay window, so I can see my planes....

Not sure where to go from here.... Any suggestions??????? white crazy blush frown

Yeah, I may be NEW, but I'm not (black and) Blue!!!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow, it really depends on where you want to go, what you want to do.

If you are interested in individual moves, like you have been doing. You can check through video section and the moves section in technical posting for more inspiration on things to learn. Thread the needle, flowers, windmills, corkscrews, isolations, atoms, stalls, throws, wraps, pendulums, on and on...*so* much on that front.
ubbrollsmile
If you are interested in more "choreography" stuff, you can take what you know and start to lace them together and make them flow one move into the next.

If you just want to dance. Throw on music and go, just to see where you end up. Many moves were born of this "freestyle, organic, see where the music can take me" playfulness.

You can do all of them. Freestyle, throwing in moves you know to get them to flow and adding in new ones when you learn them.

You are in such a great place to develop and grow!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
[Old link].

NathaniealEverist a few posts down has a list of what he is planning as videos. It covers a farily wide selection, so pick and mix from there if you want new moves.

After that, and some specific help for the original poster, it veers off into hairy "how best to present poi moves to beginners" discussion.

Otherwise, what Pele said.

Personally, I would suggest nailing the butterfly, there are lots of variations and things to play with once you have it down. But that might be because I like butterfly hip reels....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I honestly don't think flowers can be learned early enough.... they're all simple relationships of poi to poi, poi to arm and arm to arm. (You can then separate the poi into handle or hand, cord and head once it gets more complicated.)

It gives you a new way to look at the ways in which all the poi movements are related to one another. I'll bash together a video this friday that you can watch... but only watch the first component of it with an intent to learn, it will get more complicated, but feel free to watch out of curiousity. ^_^

hug

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I would agreed with MNS, go for flowers, they are lovely and maybe start looking into Antispin stuff? I would say where you are now, take a good song you like and build a little routine to it.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian