Forums > Social Discussion > Sticky post effectiveness?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a question to everyone...how effective do you think sticky posts are?

I will (embarrasingly) admit that when I go to other forums, I tend to glance at the title of it but I do not really read it unless it seems really relevant to me.

Not that we're planning to get rid of them but I'm very curious, since we have someone volunteering to undertake alot of work to make some stickies for beginners and newbies.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
tut tut ms Pele grin

if you'd have done a search you'd have found my thread with only 2 replies on it...

[Old link]

I asked the sameish question not long ago - my eyes don't see the stickies at all

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I did do a search silly, and it didn't help me because it only had 2 replies! wink

laugh3

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
the replies didn't help me either! grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it's a matter of a couple of things.

1) Too many stickies clog the first page on our forums. One or two should be enough. Those should be appropriately titled and probably shouldn't have a long discussion following them unless there's an active topic.

2) People tend not to read stickies unless you either use reverse psychology (DON'T CLICK HERE!), which is immature, but effective (how many of you did I traumatize with that? If you'd only listened to instructions...) or some appropriately stern warning involving castration with red-hot instruments for failure to heed the sticky.

That's my input.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i think they do work, if there is a thread about hyperloops/fountains etc... at the top of beginners poi section, it *should* mean people read that then post if their question hasn't been answered in the main body of advice.

a newbie might still go ahead and post a new thread, but that doesn't mean we can't direct them to the sticky. i don't think someone replying and saying there is a more appropriate thread for them to post their questions in is a bad thing.

i would be willing to help in this project.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, yeah. I was more thinking of it in those terms.

I mean, I read pretty much all of Simian's links in the "Helpful Advice Threads" thread and there is some good stuff in there, but also a fair amount of fluff.

I am not volunteering to go through the whole poi moves forum (my mind just blinked at the thought), but some of the longer threads about basic moves. The ones about dancyness and so on can stay with all the chatter.

As long as it does not devolve to "Read the sticky". But I think that the basics may be worth having there.

In response to the original question:
I also do not read old stickies. Although, I tend to read whatever happens to be new so I am a poor example maybe. This goes for most fora though, not just this one.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I know the general consensus of most boards I frequent is that making a topic a sticky is a guareented way to make sure it isn't read.

I have found them to be extremely useful though, just not on a very regular basis.
EDITED_BY: Basstones (1227587934)

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
must agree with you pele, when i see them (especially on other forums) i tend to glance at the title, and continue browsing at the rest of the page..

that said, with HoP, i tend to notice new sticky threads, so they draw my attention through me wondering whats new with HoP..

i guess though, having them there does help as a little reminder, even though some of the rules may be kinda foggy to me smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
We have stickies ????????

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
What about the idea that they perhaps could have their own Forum Area - ie. USEFUL INFO or something...?

As they are currently, i find that whenever you view a forum page you've just got to spend time scanning down until you find where the stickys end and the good stuff begins. This can be hard to do - i mean i know they have little special icons.. but really, who knows what those mean smile . If not a separate forum area, then perhaps at least the background color could be different for stickies? a light green or something? This could work in two ways... it leads people who haven't read them there more easily.. and also lets others who've already read them quickly identify where the good/current/fun posts begin smile

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Those are good ideas falloutboy.

Do you think new visitors would use a section like that?
A FAQ forum or some such?

I just noticed on one of my performers forums that the stickies are yellow and turn green after you've read them. Huh. Whooda thunk it? I've only been on there several years. lol

On one of the magic boards I'm on the stickies are all locked. I actually like that too. That way after I've read it, I don't have to go back there ('cause ya know, after posting this here I am actually attempting to pay attention to stickies elsewhere to see how they use them, lol).

Pele

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The other thing is, stickies are rarely updated, so once you have read them, you rarely have to do so again.

An FAQ forum would just be ignored more I think. That said, we could possibly cut down on some of the sticky threads. See what is needed and what is not needed any more.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Hmm... i suppose if the stickies were in a different section all together, the risk is that the whole area is often completely ignored.

I guess i then stick with the different color theory (and i suppose colors could change, as you noted Pele, say orange before reading and green after you've read them - and could change back to orange if the topic is meaningfully updated at some point) - so long as they remain a different color to the rest of the threads, to differentiate. Like the way Google shows Sponsored Search Results with a coloured background... you know it's there, and can choose to visit if you wish - but it's easy to tell the difference from the other results smile

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
yes, the coloured sticky is a good idea, I might see them then.