Page:
ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Its coming up to that great time of year ( well here anyway) were the pools start opening.

I was wondering who else is in to swimming? whether it be laps in the 50 or just floating about or swimming in the river or the ocena?

I think the pool near my work is going to open soon. I can't wait to go do laps on my lunch break. Nothing better than coming back to work after a good swim!!

I'm also so keen for it to stay light in the after noons so we can go for picnics down by the river and swim down the rapids until we are so bruised and tired we can't stand up.

Yay!! Swimming!!!!

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I used to love a good bout of laps. I used to do it every morning before school... (didn't last as long as I'd have liked, its a long bike ride home, slightly damp and in the cold of the morning)

But I still love a paddle in the ocean... body surfing and all that kind of thing. Was just at the beach today, in fact. grin

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I do not really have time to swim here, but at home I try swim quite a lot.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I think I need to swim a whole lot more...

I took my boys camping on the weekend and we joined a bunch of the other campers in the local swimming hole... my littlest one is 8yo and is far from a strong swimmer, so I told him to hop on my back and I ferried him across...

it wasn't more than 20m across, but by the time we got back to the near-side bank, I was knackered... sucking air like you wouldn't believe; arms, legs and chest with that long-forgotten "swollen" achey feeling...

still... summer's coming and the beach is a 1/2 hr away... much more my sorta thing than laps of a public pool...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm a competitive swimmer.

Electric, I would often sneak away to the pool from work over lunch and bang out 40x100 yards on the 1:30. 10xFree (try to be back by the 1:15), 16x IM sequence building, 10x pull (try to be back by the 1:10), and then 4 ascending until the last one was to take as close to 1:30 without going over.

4,000 yard workout in 60 minutes flat. A bit boring, but I'd have my workout done for the day by 1PM, feel great, purified and clean (one of the few workouts where you wind up cleaner than when you started) and then during the evening do my sit-ups and push-ups (about 10 minutes of work) and have the rest of the evening to do whatever the heck I wanted.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning(one of the few workouts where you wind up cleaner than when you started)

That depends on the pool you're in... I remember my local pool I'd see bandaids and chunks of hair and all that sort of delicious stuff.

I guess chlorine does do a lot to clean the body, though...

hug

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm not a fan of public swimming pools so much. I think it's the chlorine and the other people using it.

Love swimming in rivers. Lived near a river nearly all my life and used to jump in after training/racing...provided it wasn't blue-green algae season!

Was never into beaches so much because of the sand and salt (and freezing cold!), but after I started training at the beach I began to like it more.

I have this thing where I feel more comfortable if I live near a body of water - river, lake or beach, makes no difference. But I just feel more comfortable knowing there's on close by. It's like a security blanket.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Wow. So today I got persuaded to get up at 6am and go swimming before work. I feel pretty fit, I climb 3-5 times a week, do the gym a coupla times, play squash, and walk everywhere. Or so I thought...

40 laps and I'm absolutely ruined! I'm not sure I can manage doing this twice a week, might actually kill me...

Was good fun though smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
My normal routine is much the same. Although 40 laps is a lot more than I have tried. And I have not swum in a long time.... tongue2

I enjoy it though.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking of doing some swimming at "the gym" (dun dun dun) since I feel like it's something pretty important to be good at. Not too interested in it for fitness, but I kind of enjoy water.

Love river swimming but I'm the type to get squicked by the river bed or lake beds. Fun times have been had in the Potomac though...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
what do you count as 40 laps? end to end being one lap, or up and back being one lap? and in what size pool?

i started going swimming again twice a week a few months ago and its as enjoyable as i remember. i swim in a 50m pool and count one lap being up the other end and back (100m) so i normally try to swim 15 laps (1.5km) or for as much time as i have.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Its a 25m pool and I was counting a lap as one length of it, so 25m. That makes 40 lengths a km.

Meant to go this morning but felt a bit rough and stayed in bed...

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
I am definetly getting back to the pool soon, I cancelled my gym membership last month but now i need to get fit and the pool looks like the place to start smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I live less than 10 minutes away from the river. I always go swimming in the summer although it's not the cleanest. I cant stand chlorine and like to watch the nature anyway. I go kayaking to other places and explore. I've lived on the river all my life and couldn't live w/o some sort of water way close by.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.

Our local river has the highest concentration of individually known crocodiles in Australia (and they're proud of it). The sea is full of marine stingers this time of year, there's the odd shark thrown into the mix. When we got flooded this time last year a 2m croc swam across town and into the local kiddie's area where it stayed for 6 months before they caught it.

Most water around here is full of toothsome things that really want to have a chew. No thanks.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EeraHmmm.

Our local river has the highest concentration of individually known crocodiles in Australia (and they're proud of it). The sea is full of marine stingers this time of year, there's the odd shark thrown into the mix. When we got flooded this time last year a 2m croc swam across town and into the local kiddie's area where it stayed for 6 months before they caught it.

Most water around here is full of toothsome things that really want to have a chew. No thanks.

but at least the water is warm smile

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EeraMost water around here is full of toothsome things that really want to have a chew. No thanks.
I live in the Midwest of the states so the only thing I have to worry about is little fishies nibbling on my toes. smile

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Woot! Made 50 this morning before nearly drowning grin

Although the little old ladies are still destroying me totally haha!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Same. The little old ladies are really good at kicking my ass at stuff like squash, swimming and badminton. I can beat most of them at climbing at least. tongue2

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I guess there is that!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Note that I said *most*. Met a (older) lady of around 40+ who climbed a 26. Which comes out at about 7a/7a+ depending on your conversion table....

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Ouch...

Its all technique thats the issue. I'm sure you'll have a higher S2W ratio. I always got told that almost any person could increase their ability by 2 grades just by improving technique, and since being shown how to do a drop knee properly (Put the foot on the hold normally then twist into the DK and push upward in one motion) I can believe it!

Anyway, this is slightly offtopic grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr
40 laps and I'm absolutely ruined! I'm not sure I can manage doing this twice a week, might actually kill me...

I can help you with this. Your mistake is that you started with too much.

First of all, swimmers don't think in laps. We think in distances. The typical pool is 25 yards, 25 meters, or 50 meters. In England, some pools are 100 feet.

If you were in a 25m/yd pool, you started with 1000 yards assuming you consider a lap to be one length of the pool. That's about a 4th of my daily workout.

Start with no more than 500 yards/meters three times per week for the first week. Then increase by 100 meters every day you swim until you get to a workout that takes you 45-60 minutes.

Of course, swimming alone is self-flagellation. There are swim teams all over the place. In the U.S. United States Masters Swimming is the national organization in the U.S. Not sure if there's a UK version. But getting involved with a team will make it an enjoyable and rewarding experience, rather than merely chasing that black line on the bottom of the pool.

And in about 3-4 months, you're gonna look in the mirror and go "wow! I got pretty ripped!" It's a cool feeling. grin

-Mike

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I was hoping you would turn up doc smile

What do you think about sets? Right now I'm just doing it all in one go. Would I be better doing say 500m, or 2 sets of 300? I'm guessing no 2, but what do you think about rest times etc? Any other useful tips?

I've got me a partner already, don't think I could drag myself outta bed otherwise haha!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr
What do you think about sets? Right now I'm just doing it all in one go. Would I be better doing say 500m, or 2 sets of 300? I'm guessing no 2, but what do you think about rest times etc? Any other useful tips?

Always do sets. Let me show you my workout for today, for example (some of this may look like Greek to you):

-Warm-up
300 swim
3x100 IM (IM=Individual Medley...fly/back/breast/free)
300 pull
-Kick
10x50 @ 1:10
-->EZ 100<--
-Swim
1x50 FL }
1x100 FL/BK }
1x150 FL/BK/FR }
1x200 IM } @ :05 RI per 50
1x150 BK/BR/FR }
1x100 BR/FR }
1x50 FR }
-->EZ 100<--
-Drill
3x200 @ 4:00
#1 six-kick/SW by 50
#2 zipper drill/SW by 50
#3 breathe every 3/5 by 50
-->EZ 100<--
-Pull
3x[150 @ :15 RI (RI=rest interval, so take :15 after the 150)
[100 @ :10 RI
[50 @ :05 RI
-->EZ 300<--

TOTAL 4300 yds/M

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm sorry, i dont speak swimmgeek tongue2

so basically your're doing different strokes to work on different muscles, different breathing patterns to work on lung capacity, and different speeds for general cardio?

say i go swimming twice a week and just swim 1500m alternating laps between freestyle and breast stroke, how could you improve the amount of exercise your body gets without increasing the distance?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I think I got most of that, could you expand on some of the abbreviations though? Particularly the EZ bits smile

Thanks for the help.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Maybe I should start doing something like this.

Although, it is winter. And cold.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnrI think I got most of that, could you expand on some of the abbreviations though? Particularly the EZ bits smile

Thanks for the help.

EZ=easy

-Mike

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
haha *facepalm* that makes sense when you don't think of it as "ea-zed" smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Could you explain some of the rest? I got the impression it was supposed to be indented but the forum software stripped that....

Page: