Forums > Social Discussion > Future advertising using YouTube's Flash Player in the forums

Login/Join to Participate

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I say keep it, from what it sounds like the ads wont be too invasive and i think youtube is great. I would pay to be a member (depending on how much) just like on tribe.net

But i may not be understanding fully. Would the flash ads be shown when the movie is not being played? i dont see that as a big deal. However i do think that youtube has done wonders for many people, and couldnt IMAGINE starting to spin without it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
youtube are also running the sorta opposite thing where people can make money from youtube by allowing ads to be on their pages and the only catch is that you have to upload vids quite recently but im sure we as a few thousand strong community could pull this off. im willing to offer my services even tho they are limited to pretty noobish spinning and a not-particually-good camera. on the whole tho i know the money will be passed on to us in the form of discounts and pretty things smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I don't like youtube and I don't like adverts.

I voted for option 2.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't entirely understand...but I don't like the idea of adverts

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think the subversion by the big corporates of community-based communication mediums in order to bolster their profit margins is crap.

I dont watch TV for this reason (among others) and I'd hate to see it creeping in around the edges here.

I dont like corps trying to control my behaviour - and the places where I'm safe from their efforts are becoming smaller and fewer...please dont let HOP become yet another place with these influences.

(just my opinion tho).

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
For those saying "I don't understand" - Basically, YouTube (or rather Google who own YouTube) are going to start putting adverts in their videos - the latest I heard would be semi-transparent overlays at the bottom of the screen (Like you get on some TV programs; "Coming up next...."), as pre/post-ads can easily be skipped.

I don't know what would be displayed when the video isn't being played - i'd guess it'd still have to show the middle-frame of the video so people know what they're about to watch, but it could be adverts.

Personally I don't see it as much of a hassle to follow a link into a new tab to watch a video as opposed to just viewing it in the forum, so option 2 for me.

3 points:
1) OWD - Why don't you like YouTube?

2) Malc - do you know if the adverts will be related to the videos (where possible), and thus could HoP adverts appear in spinning vids?

3) How about a general shift to JuggleTube.com? Any advertising seems to be pretty juggling-industry based and it's a nice little community-based site. You can still embed and the quality seems to be a little higher than YouTube.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh - I haven't voted as I'd personally wait to see what was displayed when the video wasn't playing. A short 10-second overlay really doesn't bother me and in all fairness is the price you pay for free video hosting, especially given the mass-viewing/market potentials out there.

I just wouldn't want to see Drews video thread turn into a row of adverts unless the video's playing...

And aside from JuggleTube, there are several other video hosting sites which allow embedding and haven't (yet) decided to enforce adverts - just JuggleTube seems more community-oreitnated.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
maybe put an option in the user profile to display the link to users who dont want to see the player and would prefer a link which can be turned on by users who do want to have the videos embedded into the page.

>What future can you see for YouTube?

i think the advertising will be subtle and wont affect the user experience anymore than the ads displayed with googles search results

>Would you like to see Flash adverts on our forums?

yep they are providing a free video hosting service i dont have a problem with an advert paying for that service if it is subtle.

>Do you think there will be a global change to remove the YouTube flash player from others sites and just link to their website?

Nope most people dont care enough imho

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Something to think about as well is the affect on older & slower computers of a thread containing 20 YouTube embeds. I know in the past when I've surfed from other computers a couple of threads have crippled the browser and internet connection.

I'm fine with going to YouTube, it also allows me more access to my playlists, favourites, etc...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I love YouTube for the possibilities it generates, but I don't like adverts coming with it. I understand if you remove it, unfortunately I will not have too much choice when embedding videos to my site... frown

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

3 points:
1) OWD - Why don't you like YouTube?

1. It's not accessible to dial-up users

2. there used to be a thriving scene of video-sharing where people put up downloadable videos which others could save on their hard-drives: since you-tube, that's seriously diminished

3. the underlying ethos of you-tube is not video sharing- they actively modify their software to prevent people downloading (as opposed to streaming): the priority for you-tube is, instead, getting people to visit their pages i.e. marketing

Now it's understandable that you-tube do this- it's a business model with the aim being for them to make money.

And, of course, they have every right to do this; just as I have a right to not support them.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dave, you use FireFox dont you? umm

Have you seen [url:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006]this[/url] awesome addon? biggrin
EDITED_BY: UnderControlOrFailure (1203972186)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Is this vote IP locked? Spanners voted but I haven't, and it won't let me..

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

Is this vote IP locked? Spanner's voted but I haven't, and it won't let me..

They generally are on HoP. If you log in tomorrow then you'll be able to vote smile or get an IP switcher wink Not that anyone would do that. But you could... ubbangel

Meh

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Was online video ever accessible to dial up users?

2. there used to be a thriving scene of video-sharing where people put up downloadable videos which others could save on their hard-drives: since you-tube, that's seriously diminished

I think that video sharing has increased now that theres free hosting available thats easy to use, whats more its searchable. If cool videos are hosted on youtube it means that if a really cool site like soton firespinning goes offline all its videos arnt lost to the community.

3. the underlying ethos of you-tube is not video sharing- they actively modify their software to prevent people downloading (as opposed to streaming): the priority for you-tube is, instead, getting people to visit their pages i.e. marketing

searching google for "youtube video download" brings up loooots of services to download their vids most of which require no technical knowledge, making it available to the masses who are so inclined to download.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Dave, you use FireFox dont you? umm
Have you seen [url="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006"]this[/url] awesome addon? biggrin

Thanks for the link- I'll checkit out.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

Yes. I've still got loads of the old vide from years back that I downloadedon dial-up. Plus, with them being downloadable, anyone could stick them on a CD and pass them on. Happy days- things have gone downhill since then smile

searching google for "youtube video download" brings up loooots of services to download their vids most of which require no technical knowledge, making it available to the masses who are so inclined to download.

True- but, as you-tubes motivation is not video sharing, but more about getting people to visit their pages, they consistently update their software to thwart the downloaders.

Additionally, even when you do download one of their vids, the quality of the video is way below that of the old downloadable videos.

But whatever- if people are happy to put up with the marketing-driven ethos of you-tube and others like them, then fair enough.

Personally, I think you-tube is crap. If they want to provide free video hosting then, I'd have a lot more respect for them if, for each streaming vid, they provided a link for those who want to download it .

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:

Not so much un accessible but it can really hand up your system if you open a thread and a video automaticaly starts downloading. Where as if you can just open a thread and then chose click a link to download the video in to another window you don't get a heaps of videos trying to down load at once.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Only if it's the youtube link though. when the video is embedded, you have to click the play button before it even starts to load.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
I try to avoid advertising as much as possible. I used to think that it didn't really matter if there was advertising around, that my mind could just block it out. I was wrong, it does affect you! So yea, i'd be happier if only hyperlinks were used.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I voted.

(No, I'm not saying what I voted). No matter what the outcome, it might be worthwhile sharing it with YouTube.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I voted thumbs down on the advertising...we're tortured by it enough as it is. I've never cared about embeddable videos and one thing I can't understand is ...Why use You tube when, clearly, Dailymotion is a better option. ?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Hohum... I hate adverts, but love youtube.

Even if it was just some overlay, it'd suck.

But what would suck even more if an actual 30 second ad came on *before* the actual video. Lots of sites do that now and its truly a pain in the ass.

So I'm pretty much against allowing adds on HoP, even if its in some sneaky little way.

Take 'em down as they appear, I say.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."