Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > New To Poi? ASK ME ANYTHING!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*edit* Going on the idea that it would be good to have all of the beginner style questions in one very informative place.

If you have any questions about beginner poi moves and you don't know what to do, feel free to ask it here and some of us more experienced folks will give it our best shot!

The only thing that we're gonna ask is that:

1) You do a search first!

Click on the blue "Search" link about 2 inches below the pictures in the top of your screen and follow the directions. You'll see lots of old threads which we have spent LOTS of time answering your old questions in. [Old link]

2) Check out the Library!

There's some great videos in the library which also have links to appropriate forum discussions on that topic. The link for the library is just below the "Home of Poi" logo at the top left of your screen. [Secret Passage to the Library.]

3) ASK US!

If you've got a HoP account and have signed in, there should be a box at the bottom where you can type in your post and then hit "continue". Of course, look in the rest of this thread to see if it's been asked as well!

4) Be Patient!

Not just with us. We do have lives off the internet so there might be some down time but your question will get answered. But also be patient with learning poi. If you're not getting a move, try something different and go back to it. Or, just try to do the moves you already know in a more graceful or dancey way.

OK, ASK AWAY! biggrin

EDITED_BY: Pele (1192146559)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
From what I do, it is a low turn, but with your arms right up in your armpits, so it looks higher.

So, as the poi start coming down as you spin them forwards next to you, move your hands to your armpits, but before the poi start to wrap, turn around and they will be swinging (to you) in reverse.

Helpful I hope. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
cheers Aston, kind of makes sense! Have to go back to work now, but I'll try later. I was confused because in the video it looks like she is crossing her wrists or something.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
You can do a butterfly with your wrists crossed, or with your hands adjacent to each other, or over-under (switching up the over/under is the essence of TTN), if you like; whatever suits your style, and your overall routine, whichever you think looks better. But as long as the poi are the same length each hand is slightly offset from the other, which means that the circle made by the poi head, defined by the length between your hand and the head, will be equally offset, since that length will be the same for both poi. The further you move your hands from each other, the more spread the two circles become, until eventually you separate them entirely and crossed both arms over (the first poi move I ever learned)...

Try working on reverse butterflies; at least for me that amplified my errors in form, if you will, showing me what I really needed practice on.
EDITED_BY: Mucky (1211896560)

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by :chrissieb

Hello

Can anyone give me advice on the tuck turn? I've started going through the tutorial videos on here and I don't get it at all, I just keep hitting myself in the back of the head.

I searched on here, but the info was very technical. Can anyone explain simply what she is doing with her arms on the video? It's too fast for me to make sense of it.

cheers.... been spinning for a week and loving it smile

To break down the tuck turn...

Spinning forward, same time

Take 1 step back with your left foot (this is the way you're going to turn)

When the poi are furthest away from you and going down, bring your left hand together (ish, not touching, but close) with your right hand to tuck under your right armpit

As the poi spin round, wait for them to be at the top of the circle, then turning at the waist, as both poi swing down in front of you, turn your body left 180 degrees,

RH poi carries on swinging upwards to go into reverse spin

LH carries across in the same hand onto the LH side for reverse spin.

Then try that again but stepping back with the right foot, tucking under the left armbit and turning 180 degress right.

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah.... I always did something slightly different which was each arm under its own armpit.

Apologies.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
thanks guys, can't wait to break out of work and try it again later!

Durbs, that's a nice step by step. But if I can't get it, maybe you can show me.... We are in the same county, after all!*

I find I can turn to the left ok (with high and low turn) but not to the right... wierd.

*joking, I'm not really a stalker smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah - so we are smile
Come along to the Happy Thursdays in Guildford (every Thursday un-surprisingly) - have a search through the events section here for details.
(I'm not there this week, but others will be smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
My left poi is still hitting me on the back of my head! I guess I need to snap them back by turning sooner.

Will keep trying, but now I have a headache..

Page: ...