Forums > Social Chat > Blisters & Australian Idol...

Login/Join to Participate

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Okay, I know this is a kind of lame question and I feel a little embarrassed to ask it, but here goes...

I get blisters when I spin sock poi. I wrap the end of the sock around my hand a couple of times, and have the rest of the sock coming off the back of my hand in between my first two fingers - this is the area that tends to blister. I assume it's because that area gets sweaty whilst spinning and the sock moves around in that area a lot. (I am holding the sock poi correctly, aren't I? Does/has anyone else blistered in this area?)

Anyway, I've been wrapping bandaids around the bottom of my fingers to lessen the pain whilst spinning. The problem with this is that they don't look very nice and have to be replaced constantly.

If anyone here watches Australian Idol, Lee Harding (the "punk" guy) wears these fingerband things that look like they're made of fabric. I thought they'd be a suitable alternative to bandaids because they at least look a little better and probably wouldn't need to be replaced over and over.

So does anyone know where to get these things from? There's a picture of him wearing them here: https://www.australianidol.bigpond.com.au/_uploads/images/Final4_V_3.JPG

Otherwise, what else could I use instead of bandaids? Someone in another thread suggested covering the bandaids with duct tape, but I don't want my fingers to be sticky or anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!

(And yes, I have done a search, and I know that there are countless threads on blisters, and I have read many of the them - but since I have a specific question about where to buy fingerbands I thought I was entitled to my own thread. I actually went to the Australian Idol fan forums and made a post about it there, but I'm not counting on those people to respond with anything useful!).

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I was wondering how you would tie those two topics together!

I say try it if you want hey, there is no harm in the fingerbands...
I found this for you... scroll down to see piccys of the finger bands

clicky clicky
If I remember right there is a shop in melbourne that sells them. I have no idea what it is called but I know its down an alley on the same street where the ministry of style is.
Im sorry I cant tell ya what its called but I dont live there and I dont have a good memory for names.
wink
Hope it helps anyway! biggrin

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Can you change your grip and see if that helps. Or attach handles to your socks when you know what length you like.

The firstest set of tennis ball poi i made had string handles same as the string on the length of the poi and I had horrid blisters until I discovered handles and now socks ubblove

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Punk?

He is as much a punk as jesus christ was a hindu

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
ubblol

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
In the meantime, after you have made yourself a nice cup of tea (as far as i know, only normal tea works, but herbals probably do too) let the teabag cool down a little and then put it on your blisters and squeeze some of the liquid onto your blisters and let them soak a bit.

Old gymnast trick that I use now as a rower (and did this morning after my hands were reminded what it was like to row again!)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You could try tight fingerless leather gloves. You can get those from most cycling shops.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Or methylated spirits rubbed on the area few times a day and left to evaporate... (Old guitarist trick to toughen fingertips) Toughens the skin.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
I get blisters pretty much every time I use my aerotech's for any length of time, because the lace rubs.... I've been on stage with bleeding hands - I so feel your pain!! hug

Everytime I get a blister - people tell me it'll toughen the skin and it'll stop blistering soon. 3 years later, and it's not happened yet! ubblol

** goes off to buy some meths **

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
metho is meant to be good... we're recomended to use that to toughen our feet before big hikes so we dont get blisters biggrin