MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well this is all very bizarre. HOP works. gay.com works. But CNN, BBC, Google, Yahoo, Yahoo.co.uk, NYTimes, and Stanford.edu don't work.

I don't get it. confused

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
let it sit a bit and try again, if ya still got the problem make sure the sites actually WORK and aren't just cached on your system. if they ACTUALLY work then its not your comp, its a DNS server in your area probably down. nothin u can do cept wait. call you ISP if u like tho.

also , try pinging some site. open a command prompt (start->run->cmd then type ping www.google.com and see what it sez.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
or, if you want to be really tricky, you could do a tracert.

Hit start, go to run. Type cmd and hit enter.

In the dos box, type 'tracert homeofpoi.com', minus quotes. That does much the same as a 'ping', but it tells you what's happening each step of the way.

Do the same again for a couple of other sites that are working, then do it for a site thats not. There should be either a really long hesitation, or a loss, at one of the nodes. write down or remember that name, then tracert another not working site. Again, if its an internet problem, there should be a really long pause somewhere. jot that name down too. Do a couple more if you'd like, but if the names where the pause happens match up, there's your problem. Oh, and they don't have to match up perfectly, if one stops at, for example, 24.referrer and the other stops at 2332.referrer, chances are its the same centre thats crook.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
mike i had a similar prob - only everything worked bar hop the other day - i unplugged the router and it came back biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible