ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
yes i'm afraid its that old ploy of getting your attention.i am here to politely request some help.i am writing a report for a human performance module at university on how circus skills can be used to help people train for different sports.i personally juggle clubs and balls and anything that comes to hand, ride a unicycle (not very well) and do fire poi. i am an avid rock climber and windsurfer and believe that club juggling and poi are both a good work out for my tendons and unicycling is great for my balance which all helps me climb better. i also believe in the relaxation side of things and the fact that circus skills are great workout for the brain.if anyone knows of any programs that use circus skills to promote fitness or anything to do with sport i would be very interested. any personal information would also be great, ie. what skills you have and what sports you take part in and how you think they help you.thank you in advanceali

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, I definately agree that they can be beneficial, but I don't really have any info. on the subject myself. However, here is some places to look.I would search the archives of the rec.juggling discussion group:https://www.juggling.org/news/I know there has been threads on this subject in the past, so should be able to find out some info.And you could also post a new message on rec.juggling (if you don't have a seperate newsreading program, netscape comes with one.. and outlook might, not sure). I just wouldn't use the sex ploy there! Trust me. smileGood luck!

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
fellow rockclimber here,i two though rockclimbing and fire twirling were a good combination, untill one of the sports gave me tendinitus in the shoulder, and basicaly buggerd up the other sport. cause rockclimbing was first for like 2 years, was like at nationals and x games n all (didnt go to well though lol) and them moved to fire twirling, so either way, might be good for ur tendens, but dont push them to far! cause u'll end up like a cripple like me then, its serioulsy a pain in the ass not being able to do ne thing at the age of 17 loldidnt help with ur question to much, but just some advice, incase i rambled to much and u didnt understand, three a good combo, but not to much, cause could end up like me

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hello alibaba,nice technique for catching the attention there: everyone knows sex sells, even if they personally hate it. in reply, i also juggle (though clubs are a bit higher grade for me) climb and twirl. As to your programme thingie, why not look at the similarities between your hobbies, such as mental relaxation, physical fitness, balance, challenging yourself, pushing the limits etci know that poi/staff for me are very good for the co-ord, whilst climbing helps me with the mind (did i mention that girls love the climbing physique wink)- you know how you just have to beat the fear etc and just go for the move.maybe go for a generic "how extreme sports are good for the soul" approach, working in the whole stretching thru pushing oneself to meditative techniques bit?anyway, i think its a really interesting idea and you shouldn't let the varsity have rights to publication once you're finished, that is, so you can publ it for all of us to read here.thanxo-o

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
isnt it weird replying to yourself.sort of changed it now in that i am writing a training/warm-up program for climbing using circus skills. i will indeed be looking at the mental side of things as well, unicycling as the ultimate boulder problem? i guess looking at mind versus body, (mills mess in juggling versus those balancy moves)thank you for the replies folks anymore?

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

Stumpymember
10 posts

Posted:
Hi alibabaI'm new to the email and web chatting thing but i believe that juggling and other circus skills improve spatial awareness, confidence and purifaral(dodgy spelling) vision. I've taught these ideas and juggling skills for about 8 years and most people i have conversed with agree. well it was nice to chat with you. bottoms up

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I thought this would be a good topic to revive somewhat. There are a few good points here.

All of the activities we discuss here are beneficial to the human body, not only from a fitness perspective, but also for other reasons like (as mentioned) spacial conceptualisation, hand-eye Co-ordination, muscle co-ordination and maniputation, flexibility, etc, etc.

I am also a rock climber and find that they compliment each other, since there is alot of wrist strength required for both poi and climbing.

i have found that scince i started fire dancing, my posture has also improved, altho this would come more from the Latin American and Ballroom influence. Which incidently was used to compliment my footwork. (I used to have 2 left feet, then my dance instructure gave me a right one).

i have also found that my rection time has decreased. I have surprised myself and some friends several times now catching things before they hit the ground.

i can manipulate my body into really awkward positions... (playing 'twiser' is more fun) Yogo compliments this as well, it's next on my list of things to learn & practice.

What are your experiences/improvement/etc and or comments about dancing as a compliment for other thing?

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Yesterday a kid threw my jugglingball at my head amazingly fast and i wasnt even watching and i turned my head as it was about half way between us so about 4 foot and at full throw thats not much time and i caught it in mid air, id dint even think, it was odd, more of an instinct thing, but the reation speed is still there

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Well then, i saw the heading and thought it was a good time to tell a good story.... but oh well.... hehe

Well seems like this is the place for climb/spinners to meet. ill have to aggree that spinning is a fantastic skill to have for complimenting climbing. the hand eye co-ordination is the biggest benefit, then the balance and flexibility.

As for warm-up thing, ill tell you wat i do. before a bouldering comp i do some hacky sack for a bit then some single staff, mainly throws, all with one hand, then the other to keep it even, and if i feel up to it i do a bit of doubles, just to get the tendants warm and stretched. staff spinning is a really good way to warm up your tendants, as it warms them gradualy. i also think it helps you with flexibility and dead-point co-ordination (hitting the right spot first) from my spinning ive got a better inner rhythm (if that make sense) i expend my energy over a longer period of time instead of short bursts.

hmm think im starting to ramble now....

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I agree with the rhythm comment, PyroMonkey. Poi, or any other toy, with music is great for rhythm. Particularly if one focuses dancing to the rhythm and pays attention to the beat of the music and the beat of your toy. It's a really effective way to perform.

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroMonkey

As for warm-up thing, ill tell you wat i do. before a bouldering comp i do some hacky sack for a bit

before a what? eek confused

Meh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bouldering competition.

'climbing' to people like you and me Cantus.

I think...

smile

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
bouldering is climbing without ropes on rocks/ walls that are not very high, so you move along and over them rather than up them...

where i work we have an assortment of bouldering challenges, the hardest having a huge crash mat below!

yeah!

boulder on.

o. and sex whilst doing poi is fun, i like waist wraps and sex! with wips!

passing through, this world still lives.

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Ali, just a quick thought.

One of the things poi in particular is beneficial for is brain hemispere integration, because you are working with the left hand on the right side of the body, crossing, and visa versa, in different planes et al... There has been much research into training programs that develop the brain this way, maybe not specifically poi yet but it is easy to see how it relates. It is also easy to find papers on how the development of the neural pathways benfits overall health and functionning mind and body... I would cite examples, but I am on the fly and would have to find my old Kineseology books from the spiderwebby basement...

Don't know if this applies toclimbing in any way, but it is a fascinating benefit from the poi play!

ggod luck on your work!
`a

wherever you go, there you are

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All of this conditioning and coordination, parenthetically, does make you better in bed. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and poi makes you more flexible and co-ordinated.

smile

and thats only you Mike.

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
ummmmmm, poi during sex...

...that was one fun night.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i agree with poi helping co-ordination and flexibility as a dancer of 14 years in all different areas using poi has helped the strength of my arms and has made my back more supple making other dance moves easier to perform its also mentally helped me as it has made me less afraid of trying new things with dance and poi i'm no longer scared of hitting myself in the face with poi and have a better reaction to things such as if i fall over i know how to protect myself from hitting the ground with impact.
good luck with your repoert and for your degree i'm sure you'll do well
xxxxx

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

GandyBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
I have found that poi is perfect for warming down after climbing as well as with rehab, particularly for shoulder muscle (rotator cuff) injury. Had a two week holiday in Costa Blanca last year and managed a slight pull on the first day, managed to keep it clear untill got home with gentle poiing in the evening (obviously the best plan would have been to rest, but hey...). Also found that Tai Chi helps with my balance

*are those my feet?!*

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
no idea about helping with sport, apart from making you more flexible, but my uni course (chiropractic) said that they prefer taking people who do circus stuff as they had good hand eye co-ordination. which is always good.

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

GandyBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:

offtopic

Hey Stroo would that be at the MCC?

*are those my feet?!*

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Stroo....

I supose that spinning and twirling would be really good for anyone who works in chiropractic/massage/reflexology as it works your forearm. People who practice these arts have strong wrists and fingers!

------------------------------------------------

I would also imagine it would improve your skills in the sack... for various reasons mentioned already!

I wounder if that could be a good poly to get more people into it! IMPROVE YOUR SEX LIFE! JOIN THE CIRCUS

ubblol

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!