Page: ...
AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any tips or advice or anything to share about dying dreadlocks?

I've had mine for quite a few years, and, well, umm, redface I'm going a bit grey umm, and I'd actually like to dye that out.... but it's been soooooooooooo long since I've dyed my hair, and have never died dreadies, so... ubbloco any tips?

(sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot...)

ubbrollsmile

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
What? Dreads are free!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
But Knottyboy is not!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Ah I see. I didn't use any products myself.. but again, I've got the scrappy look. When I first had dreads, I bought a KBoy shampoo bar at the black market once. (I assume that's where you're going..) I don't really wash them anymore though. Only if I feel they need it. Anyway..It cost me 15$. On the site it's like 8$ I don't know how much they charge for shipping for buying from knottyboy.com .. Can't be too much as it is a Canadian business.. but it might be cheaper. Dunno though. But it's worth checking out.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I went today, and ran down from my dad's office, but they were an hour closed, much to my anguish. Especially since it meant an extra 20 min walk with my bag, violin, and viola... 20 in addition to the fourty to the conservatory... Much fun!

.... censored ubbangel

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

One thing I think its important to know is that its very unlikely you will get neat dreads by just leaving your hair to knot up naturally. Very very unlikely. Most likely you will get a big knotty doormat of a hairstyle.

Yes and no Josh - In my house, both happened! one of us got neatish dreads, and the other, decided not to put so much work into them, and well, got the doormat you describe eek each to their own.

To dry dreads: wring out, towel dry and use a hair dryer (repeatedly)
Don't leave them wet - they will smell
Maintenance wise - I tie them up each morning and off I go. Occassionally I will seperate them at the base a bit as they grow longer.

Quote:

ocassionally I'll freak myself out with my own dreadlock brushing across me while swimming in the ocean

teehee, I thought I was the only one who got freaked out by their own dreads occassionally ubbrollsmile

Quote:

Who has found the perfect way to compress and cover them, for fire spinning

I don't know if this is the perfect way, but I have a rectangle of material that I tie around my dreads - like a tube, and then I tie that tube down with a thin strip of material - sort of compresses and holds them all together...

Quote:

Does anyone know if castor seed oil would be bad for dreads

A bus driver once told me caster seed oil is just the ticket for dreads, but I haven't tried it myself.

yay

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
My very straight, school teacher mother saw them recently and did very well to keep a straight face. Apparently she loves dreads... just not on her daughter confused wink hug

Bobo, i see your problem. Getting into them is always hardest. It is the sort of hairstyle you don't just want to turn up with. Once you bite the bullet you start to feel very comfy with them quick smart. When i first was setting mine i was embarassed to look 'real' dreadlocked people in the eye. My first breakthrough was when i was at a party and was walking slowely down the stairs and someone trying to get passed grumbled "f. dreadlocked hippies" When i turned around it was a smiling guy with dreadies down to his ass who i had noticed several times before. biggrin Always love him for that.

I have thin, very light (natural) blond dreads. I have never died my hair but i think maybe redish henna might be nice for a change. But to those of you who do dye - how long does the dye stay in for? I am sorta attached to my hair so i think maybe a month or two would be perfect...

ubblove

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My first breakthrough was when i was at a party and was walking slowely down the stairs and someone trying to get passed grumbled "f. dreadlocked hippies" When i turned around it was a smiling guy with dreadies down to his ass who i had noticed several times before. Always love him for that.

: lolsign That's a great story... I love it when things like that happen! biggrin...

Once I was walking in the park and this little girl was walking the other way with her mum... and I heard her say "look mummy! That ladies got all beautiful bits in her hair" Totally made my day! sunny ... I love the inocence of a child's honesty...they just say what they think...sometimes it can be cruel...but in this instance it was so gorgeous I just wanted to run over and give her a big hug! What a little angel angel

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Once I was walking in the park and this little girl was walking the other way with her mum... and I heard her say "look mummy! That ladies got all beautiful bits in her hair" Totally made my day! sunny ... I love the inocence of a child's honesty...they just say what they think...sometimes it can be cruel...but in this instance it was so gorgeous I just wanted to run over and give her a big hug! What a little angel angel

sometimes it's not just the kids that appreciate ya oh pixie'd one! biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Only weirdos have dreadlocks biggrin

My fluffy love helps look after mine. Mayhap you should get a fluffy love to help with any errant dreads you might have.....

Meh

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Whoohoo! Okay, I'm allowed to get dreads, but in a year >.< After I get back from Germany... because we don't want them to think something of me, or something like that :rolleyes:

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
in response to Looper, any kind of dye will last a little longer than usually on light / blond hair, i know a few blonds who have just been using the spray in stuff and had it stay in for weeks, then again one of them wasent washing their hair much either, but use a semiperment one ( i think they say the last for about 3 weeks, but they variy) and keep in mind that they will slowly fade out, best of luck .......luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

odyshamember
1 post

Posted:
Hey guys.. I've just been reading through your posts. nice to find so many ppl dreaded in one spot. I just stumbled upon this place this evening. i should be in bed but instead i've been reading all your stories. ive had my dreads for just over 3years. in response to the questions on the issue of drying dreads, the best way i have found is to do like you would to get a stain up off the carpet.. lie on the floor with your dreads spread on a towel and then another towel ontop and ask someone nicely to walk all over them... they think its funny as hell and it works a treat. i have alot of good lil tricks for keeping my dreads in form, i was floating around the globe on a year off when i first had them, many 10hour flights and 4day bus RIDEs and guys trying to pick me up at backpackers on the promise that they would matt or wax up my dreads for me wink ment they got a very good start to their lil lives.

We’re all citizens of the womb, before we subdivide into sexes and shades- this side, that side.

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
The beauty of henna is that is slowly fades in about 6 weeks or so, and you don't see roots or anything. Looks and smells like cat barf though... rolleyes

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
it dosent all smell like cat barf, maybe thats just the stuff that has something added specifically for dyeing hair, mines just straight henna, and it smells kinda good ......luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I just had a conversation with a friend who went to German on exchange last year... and asked if they would take kindly to dreads there. Her answer?

"yes they would, they're faily open there fasion wise. did you get dreads?"

After saying not yet, I wanted to flip out a bit, and asked if she was sure no one would get mad or anything like that!

"not at all. there was a guy in my school with a red mohawk (a real one, not a fo-hawk). in medium-big cities its more open but even in my tiny teeny weeny country school it was acceptable"

Me: "SCWEEEET!"

So, looks like some of the $$ from a summer job is gonna go to knottyboy! ubbangel

Still haveto let the mom know though. She'll frown a bit. But it's MY hair, afterall!! biggrin

*bounces* Me very happy!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Written by: OrangeBobo

Okay, so I just had a conversation with a friend who went to German on exchange last year... and asked if they would take kindly to dreads there. Her answer?

"yes they would, they're faily open there fasion wise. did you get dreads?"

After saying not yet, I wanted to flip out a bit, and asked if she was sure no one would get mad or anything like that!

"not at all. there was a guy in my school with a red mohawk (a real one, not a fo-hawk). in medium-big cities its more open but even in my tiny teeny weeny country school it was acceptable"

Me: "SCWEEEET!"

So, looks like some of the $$ from a summer job is gonna go to knottyboy! ubbangel

Still haveto let the mom know though. She'll frown a bit. But it's MY hair, afterall!! biggrin

*bounces* Me very happy!

~ Bobo

mrr... I'm extremely jealous. I truely am. frown But have fun dreading them! biggrin

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Woo! and if you get the chance stick your head in the ocean, not only is it really fun, but it's good for dreadlocks.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
are you planning on doing them yourself?, just wondering cause i know someone who did their own and they look pretty bad, i mean they work on her, but they just look messy in a bad way

youll probaly be fine, but just keep in mind, your going to have these for a while

if your still not sure if it would be accepted id recomend writing to your host family and asking them about, just to be nice, i mean, your going to be living with them so for the present time at least its almost more important that theyll be cool with it than your own family

good luck with it though, and post so0me pics when you get them finished

smile

ps how long is your hair?

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
my advise may sound a little mean so sorry.
cut the dreads off. i have long hair and i love my hair and even when they were braided i just felt like i couldnt get them clean. so i dont think that dreads must be verry clean sorry that i sound rude but i love my hair

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
dreads can be kept quite clean actually! it depends on how often the person washes.

My dreads are over a month old now, WOOHOO! and locking in nicely, and very clean.

Bobo lovely, I think honestly you are better off waiting until you are in Germany to do your dreads, three reasons why:

1) you are too far away from your mum for her to kick up a fuss wink
2) It gives you a chance to check out the local atmosphere before committing to something that is not always taken well.
3) It could be something fun for you and your host sisters/new friends to do together and that way too, you will always have someones help to maintaim them in the first tricky months....

xoxoxox good luck chica! I know they will look awesome on you!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Definately good points Flynt!

I've talked to my host sister on ICQ for about two hours, and I did bring that up. Aparently a cousin or uncle (something like that) has dreadies in their family ^_^

Buuut, my dad is also against it, and he seems to think it's something I won't do. EEENNGGTTTT wrong. But I do like the idea of geting Doro and maybe her mom and friends to help me - it would be a craaazy experience!

So, I'll either buy the stuff from some stores that I know carry it, or order it when I'm in Germany! We'll see smile

Still, I'm very excited!! Hell, I've even dreamt about it!! Now what's THAT saying???

biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
hehehe! I dreamt I had my dreads in every dream for about two months before I got mine done... It was wicked!

I have to admit tho, I am still not used to mine. Sometimes I wake up and there's a few on my face, and I think, WHA? hehe, and then realise it's just my dreads and not a dry octopus...

I dotn really like all that much when they are waxy either. but hey! the price of dreams right?

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Well, they're new, so they gotta be waxy for a bit, huh?

And you WILL get used to them with time smile Doon't you worry 'bout that one!!

When I do this, I think I'd only miss running my fingers/hands through my hair, and feeling how soft it is! Buuut, that's not much to miss!! (according the my mum it is though??? O_o' wierd woman! tongue)

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
yeah, I dont miss that at all...... but then, I never really liked that heaps in the first place...

:rolleyes:

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
My Mom brushed my hair so hard when I was little, I'd whine and she's hit me with the brush. Why would she wonder that I don't brush it now? She's come to terms with it, and buys me pretty beads now and then. My dreds smell GOOD! I'm careful to not use shampoo with leftovers / buildup. They're 5 1/2! Sometimes I get fed up with the assumptions people make about me, however, cuz' the hair... confused

take the schneak-tip

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
what shampoo do you use Good? Hmm, could I get it in Canada??

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Bobo dearest, sheriff has two f's.
lol

also, i beleive knotty boy soap bar doesnt leave a residue at all, well, it doesnt on my head, and because it is a bar, and it dries out quickly, its uber good for travelling.

biggrin
ok, i'll stop plugging knotty boy now... lol

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by:

When I do this, I think I'd only miss running my fingers/hands through my hair, and feeling how soft it is!

yes, but a nice by product of dreads is the large number of people who want to run their fingers through your hair ubblove

if that's your thing, then it's lovely - can take a bit of getting used to - I have the oddest people ask to 'touch' my dreads, like they're an animal waiting for a pat...

yay for the recently dreaded, the future dreaded, and the ancient dreads

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Thanks Flynt, I knew it looked funny, but couldn't put my finger on it!

And I knwo Knottyboy is residue free, and a bar tongue I've done quite a bit of research!! But I was just wondering if there was a more readily available, and common soap with no residue! Everything these days has to go condition everything!!! >.>

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
i want my dreads back

my regrothe is back to 2 inches and 3 inches long
so not long till i can dread

but think i'll go with just normal long hair for a while

never dont that before
and its been 6 yrs since i last had a "normal" hair cut

ade beutiful let the greys run free

have seen a couple of people with greay dreads and one person with dark dreads that then change to grey dreads
and they look fantastic

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

Page: ...