Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
I love me chains but sometimes it is nice to play with strings...
Does anybody use strings on their firepois ? I thought about the string used for firediablo or the "Pure Kelvar® sewing thread" from HOP - just weave it with this over under motion and you should have a string that is strong enough weavesmiley

thx in advance

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I haven't tried this, but I'd say it's probably not a good idea and if I did do it I'd load test the string a lot before ever using it.

Kevlar isn't the invincible thread everyone thinks it is - it does degrade and has a tensile srength. And like most other things, it's more easily damaged when hot. Diablo kevlar string does not take much weight and is rarely in direct contact with the flame. So the fact that it's ok for diablo doesn't mean it'd work with poi.

Maybe a thinner kevlar rope would be a better idea to look in to? Some 1/4 or 3/8 braided rope might work well.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, I would definately go for rope over thread. 1/4" rope would be fine but it probably wouldnt take too long for it to burn up near the head and become unsafe. You would need to replace the rope frequently. You gotta remember that no matter what kind of rope/string you use, its going to absorb some fuel too.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Another Andy! HI ANDY!! beerchug

And i second that, Dom, thread wouldn't be anywhere near strong enough.

I forget what size rope Flid uses for his "flid" design, I think 3/8"?!?!?! Maybe?

One could follow the directions on his flids to connect the heads to the rope the same way, eliminating any metal hardware, and since the point is for it to be like spinning strings, then the rope could just go through the head, come back up, and create a single loop to be looped over the pinky and the rope held between the thumb and forefinger like strings. The loop could be sewed in place securely with the kevlar thread, methinks.

Here's a link to complete flid construction instructions, so if anyone couldn't understand what i was talking about, hopefully these pictures and instructions will help visualize what I'm talking about.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Thx a lot guys - but I am looking for a string with maximum 3mm (1/8 inch). Everything above would destroy the beautiful string effect I am looking for.
I have never seen the Kevlar thread - but you dont think that if you weave or knot it it could hold enough ? I thought about 8 strings woven ?!?
Keep the ideas coming - I keep you updated !!

thx again

andreas

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i think they're right. Even if you braid the thread, at the thickness you're talking about i'd be very unsure about it's reliability, especially over time. When you're spinning a burny thing round it's good to be very sure about the strength of the connection between you and it.

What is it in particular about the 'string effect' that you want, anyway?

Are there any types of metal wire that would work instead?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Mayhaps it'll help to have string for most of the poi 'body' but have chain nearer to the head?

Let us know what you come up with cause string's cool cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think its probly unsafe, but I'd like to point out that the dynamic tension required to throw a diabolo 15metres in the air is probly a lot greater than you would put on a poi. The only moves I can think of which might get this kind of force would be hard recoil type wraps...or just spinning really really fast (but I think you wouldnt do this if you were using experimental poi - at least not unless you were on an iceflow or something) smile

also, with fire diabolo, the fire is not in constant contact with the string - in fact if you are good at it, it shouldnt ever come in contact..at least with the fire diabolo designs I've seen.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Quote:

... the beautiful string effect I am looking for...

Er... what? We are talking about string yeah? smile

What effect were you looking for?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i'm pretty sure he means for isolations
(i realised after watching Weasel do some really nice stuff with comet poi on strings yesterday.)

The thinness and straightness looks awesome when it isolates. it really highlights the parallel lines, and makes it look extra clean.

Thin gauge ballchain would be kinda the same, but that'd probably still be too weak. Although that all depends on how big and heavy the wick is too, obviously.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Thin gauge ball chain is too weak. I'm stuck in a place where good materials are hard to find, so I've tried bathplug chain (not sure what the gauge is), and it broke constantly. I ended up with tiny repairs all over the place, its not even worth trying.

smile

Don't worry, be happy...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
If its thin youre going for, you can just get metal cord leashes.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Ever considered having a kevlar sleeve to fit over your ballchain?