LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I have an option of going with flat oval link chain that is .21" wide or .27" wide. Safety aside, is there any disadvantage to doing tangles etc with thinner chain? or would .21" be better overall no matter what?

270 posts

Posted:
Anyone? are smaller chains worse in anyway except strength?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmm - not many ppl seem to reply to this one...

if they are all welded, safety should not be an issue on the size, then again it all depends on the weight of your heads too.

I have no specific experience in the exact measures - and come from the metric side of the lanet - only I tend to feel that smaller links have a higher tendency to interlock than bigger links...

Sorry can't be of too much help

Anyone else?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
My experience is that the smaller chain works just as well for tangles as the larger chain does. Poi spinners sort of got tangles from the glow stringers anyways and those people use uber thin stuff. As long as we got the ball barring swivel it is pretty much all good.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I haven't found it matters TOO much. Chain width has always been more about what is comfortable on my hands when shortening.

That being said it also depends a lot on what type of tangles you are doing. If I am adding and subtracting tangles, sock poi style, thicker chains are lovely, they have a nice weight and feel.
If I am doing orbitals thin chain gives me a better rotation.
but it is much of a muchness.

270 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! I guess I'll go with the smaller version and then if I don't like it I'll try the longer. It doesn't seem like there's much more than a comfort difference between the two.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I would have thought for orbitals, hyperloops and airwraps, smaller would be better, but thats just going on instinct since I havn't had the experience with larger chains.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

270 posts

Posted:
It might be. I'm going to get the larger chains too. The small ones are cool the only problem is they get into complex (bad) tangles pretty easily. I didn't think about adding a swivel to the chain where I'd be wrapped either, but I want it.

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I don't think it'll matter much either way.

Orbitals are easier with chain then string because the weight has something to "grab" on to.

Just make sure you got killer swivels and pick a chain that is comfortable to grip when you wrap up would be my suggestion smile

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org