onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Got my beaming poi yesterday and they're great!

I've not really had a big spin with them lit, but I've done some daylight spinning and I love the weighting of them.

I can see why people who spin fast have recieved some pain (pk's nose etc) but for a slow spinner like me they're superb and feel pretty safe.

Just got the heads so I could use my home made chains which are a bit longer and convert to meteors.

Only had a brief try with them as meteors but plan to take them outside where there's plenty of room and test them out; my intial feelings are that they will be really well weighted as meteors cos meteors need quite heavy heads.

The design is really good as well, sturdy etc and I much prefer batteries than mains charging for spinning toys cos they'll be good for travelling/festival situations where there's no electricity.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
My friend who only ever tried poi with my glow sticks, wants a pair of beamers. I tired too talk him out of it but he wants them. Crazy fool.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
when i first got my beamers i went straight outside for a spin. Smacked myself really really hard in the knee as i wasnt used to the weight (usually practice with flags) and oh my fcuking christ (scuse language) did that hurt! had a bruise for weeks

I dont recommend them to your mate, Achluophobia, he is a crazy fool!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
but for a slow spinner like me they're superb and feel pretty safe.

Tee hee hee

OneWheelDave...we may have had our differences int he past, but PLEASE PLEASE consider my advice.

Beamers hurt no matter what speed they are going. I used them for juggling a long long time ago (before I even knew Malcolm, let alone did fire or rode unicycles) and managed to hurt myself plenty just with 3 ball tricks.

It's my opnion that slow spinning hurts just as much as fast spinnign with beamers, but that they don't actually leave lasting damage that takes a long time to heal, as with fast spinning.

Hopefully I'm completely and utterly wrong (as usual)...but regardless, they will last for ages and ages and ages and ages...you might want to put them in your will for your great grandchildren to receive...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've actually clobbered myself a few times with them today- twice on the side of my head; the sound produced was quite alarming but they didn't hurt much.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Beamers are awesome. They were my first real poi and still my primarily used set (havent got around to buying fire heads yet). I spin slowly too but they still hurt like a mofo when they hit ya in certain places. Elbows and knees come to mind. Ive only hit myself in the head twice or so in the 4 months Ive had them... The first time was right smack in my forehead and was more of a surprise than painful. Another time, I did a seperation from a weave and they clacked together and one caught me right in the eye. Needless to say, that one hurt.

Beamers do take pretty spiffy pictures though. Check out my pics here: https://rogue.bucks.edu/~0382602/mypics/poi/sm

Take the /sm part off that url for full sized pics and more of them.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
hey Royal, how did you get the photos to turn out like that? That you can see all the light from the beamers but your still so clear?

Thomas

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dont know the shutter exposure time but it was probably around 4 - 5 seconds. The trick to getting myself to be visable is to use a flash. That way, Im visable for a split second and show up in a stationary pose. Once the flash is gone, it will just pick up the trails.

I havent tried this method with fire though and that might effect it. Since fire puts out more light, that might screw up the stationary pose look.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

joanna23member
3 posts

Posted:
hi. I love my beaming poi!!! The fun makes the risk worth it. I'm just mad cuz I can't find mine and I wanted to take them to BurningMan I first saw them there 3 or 4 yrs ago. I could see someone spinning em from all the way across the playa

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Sick little pictures

My cat's breath smells like catfood

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Sick little pictures

My cat's breath smells like catfood

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
oh ok then, thanks royal. Might have to go take some pics with my beamers now.

Thomas

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The problem with beamers is that when guys ask to have a go with them saying "No, you'll kill yourself" really does come across as churlish. Pushy father had a go at me when I refused to let his 6 year old have a go with them the other day, I tried to point out that blood would not do the contacts any good, but he wouldn't have it...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Eera:
The problem with beamers is that when guys ask to have a go with them saying "No, you'll kill yourself" really does come across as churlish. Pushy father had a go at me when I refused to let his 6 year old have a go with them the other day, I tried to point out that blood would not do the contacts any good, but he wouldn't have it...
That's not a problem with beamers though, it's a problem with an individual and it's their problem not yours.

Sounds like you did the right thing, they're your beamers and no one has the right to demand to use them, plus you probably saved a 6 year old from damaging themselves.

Maybe it's a good idea to carry a pair of sock poi, then people can use those and if they look really competent let them try the beamers.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
BE CAREFUL! I liked the weight to at first but i am afraid to spin mine now. I busted my face open doing wraps with them. They ARE more dangerous than fire. 5 stiches, by far the worst injury ive gotten yet. if you got the earlier models watch out for those damn split rings. i pulled those split rings apart with 20 minutes of spinning.if you got the newer ones with the cable connectors your fine. be careful with those damn things!!!!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I want the green ones Even though I fear them I cannot resist their call, I wish I could buy them right now but I must hold out for the odd chance that I won the monthly contest (yeah right).

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
got green ones yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will only be happier when they come in purple!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
5 stictchs!!!!! *Huggles his electroglo's*
I will not be buying beamers for a long time.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry to hear that, Xanath, but pleased you could provide some examples for OneWheelDave.

Just liek fire, it pays to know what has happened to others so you are as well informed of the risks as you can be...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm glad you posted that Charles cos it made me realise I may have given the wrong impression about the safety of beamers.

I consider beamers to be potentially very damaging indeed. I know people who've chipped teeth and broken noses using them.

They're not just dangerous to beginers but also to experienced spinners; however good you get there's always going to be that .01% when even your most solid move goes wrong.

I have no doubt that there are ways and places a beamer could contact your head that would cause a fatality.

For me, the way I spin is not something I've seen in many other spinners, it's not just very slow, it's almost like I'm not spinning but 'placing'. The poi ends have very little momentum in them.

To clarify this with an example- all the poi I use are made by me (even the beamers have my own chains) and I don't use normal finger rings.

Instead I use a single split ring which goes round my little finger, the chains then feed through my fist emerging either between the middle and index fingers or between the thumb and index finger.

This enables a loose natural grip with the security of a ring round the little finger.

Whenever I lend stuff to other people, I often get a comment that the split ring hurts their little finger, I never understood why until I tried spiining faster and putting momentum into the poi. For me when spinning normally there's almost no tug on the chain, hence no pain from the ring.

So maybe recommending slow spinning as a way of making beamers isn't particularly good advice.

For me I've had a couple of hits on the head which made a startling sound but didn't hurt, and I will post if I do mash myself in the future.

As a more practical safety measure, a single layer of bubblewrap secured with rubber bands won't affect the light they throw off; you'll still need to treat them with a lot of respect.

And in the daytime, why not put loads of bubblewrap on, your head and groin will appreciate it!

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well, I didn't win, big surprise, but I did just place my order for some nice green beamers. And bubble wrap is always a good idea

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
wrap them with bubble wrap all you want, but still BE CAREFUL. just the concusive force alone from them is enough to bust you open. you dont need to be spinning all that fast either. Another thing to keep in mind if your doing wraps, dont let your chains be more than 18-19in total from grip to beamer. thats is just about the perfect wrap length. thats the mistake i made with mine, my chains were to long and i was doing shoulder wraps and my left came around not once, but twice and smacked me right under the eye. NEVER let anyone except yourself and maybe a close freind use them because in this day and age you may just be setting yourself up for a law suit. Oh, watch those mexican waves too.

Power percieved is power achieved.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Should get used to saying "Ow my _(Fill in the blank)__" pretty quick, hehe!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Alright, got them in the mail, tested them out whatnot. Chain question :

The ball chains I got with my new beamers are a longer length than I am used to. I did this pursposefully, want to get used to different lengths. The thing is the chains that came with the beamers are a different size of ball chain, a bit smaller, not as massive as the ball chain I've had before (both of which were purchased here). Is the ball chain that comes with the beamers alright to use with cathedral wicks? Can they handle that? I'd prefer to get used to the new length using the wicks I know and trust before messing with the beamers.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Jello,

I have the old huge ball chain but I dont like it. Im not sure of the size they come with now but as long as its not REALLY thin it should be ok to use with cathedrals. I plan to get different, smaller chains sometime soon.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Yeah, its still the sturdy ball chain. I noticed that at the shop, there are two kinds but I don't know what means what.