Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Hiya loverly people....

I have recently become a fire worshiper and have bought myself a set of cathedrals. I have used them 3 times. The first time I ever used them I soaked them and I always soak them before and after use.

?= My poi seem to go out very quickly . I use paraffin and soak between spins. The first spin lasts the longest. Is this normal? How can I get the longest burn?

Thanks for you help.
Spiral_ko (Beth)

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
How quickly is "very quickly"? A normal burn with kerosene should last 4-5 minutes.

Normal causes for short burns are either short soaking times or water in the wicks. It doesn't take long to soak wicks, though, so that probably isn't it. Any chance you got water on your wicks?

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Well there is no way that there is water on them. Um if I think about it -- it seems that everyone elses last longer than mine. I would say that the first burn lasts for 5 min. soak for 10min. next burn - 4min. soak for 10min. next burn - 3min. soak for 15 min. like so.

Maybe it's in my head. But my mates even noticed that mine go out quickly.

Thanks

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
It depends on how fast you go as well. Fast > more oxygen > quicker burn > shorter burn time.

I like to spin to fast music, and I find that I can make my burns at least two minutes longer by choosing some slower paced songs.

(PS. check your PMs!)

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Spiral_ko
another thing you might look at and compare is your wicks .. I find a loose wick burns brighter but goes out quicker the loseness betwen folds lets more air get in.. i made loose wicks for my bigger and heavy poi mostly long chains with dble wicks they are real heavy and i dont want a 5 min burn i think my arm would fall off just a though hope it helps

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I have 3-4 feet of kevlar per wick and get about a 3 and a half minute burn with torch fuel (lamp oil.) My bigger wicks go longer.

I think the first burn is longer because they're not hot yet. Once they get hot, they light quickly and proceed to fully engulfed in flames almost instantly, even with lamp oil I've found.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
oops! I thought yoour were Spiral.........

eep! *tiptoes out again....*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I tend to find my wicks burn for the least time on the first burn

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
hey. i find that if you keep your cathedrals in something where you can handle them w/o actually touching them(i.e. ziploc bag so your hands don't reek) you can kind of bend them back and forth to loosen up the folds before soaking them. dont be afraid to bend them alot spreading the folds all ways to loosen all sides. it should up your burn times and the size of the flames as well. this is definitely a plus of having cathedrals.

From the makers of soylent green.