beutofullmember
1 post

Posted:
I am an american living in Ioannina Greece and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was illegal to spin and breath fire here?? Also what kind of fuels are good to use for fire breathing here? I dont speak a word of Greek so I do not want to get the wrong fuel. Does anyone in Ioannina spin fire?? I would love to spin with other peoplebridget

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Kalimera

welcome to the board

I think you can do two things :
search in the meet others section for greek members... but truth is there are not so many ...
other than that you should go to athens whenever you have time to check : ZOGLER, a coold juggling shop where you can meet spinners.

I met a few in the cyclads last summer (I have a house in Amorgos) and a few in athens...

Sorry though I have no idea about Ioannina... But ask the juggling shop closest to you ...

As for what to spin with, I used liquid parafin, lammp oil .... and trust me they have plenty in grece for so many paople still use oil lamps etc..

will drop you an email when I come to Grece

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

galmember
6 posts

Posted:
Hello,
Well, my parents live in Athens so when I'm not at uni in England I visit. Only I haven't done any poi in Greece yet (I've only been there a few days over the last 6 months)...
The thing with rules in Greece is that they are not very strictly enforced so as long as you're sensible and don't upset anyone (or go looking for the police!) you should be fine. At least thats how I'm going to go about it next time my boyfriend takes me to see my parents.
Just a word of warning.. be REALLY careful during the summer because in many places (Spain particuarly) ANY kind of fire is COMPLETELY banned (Tom's taking his glo-poi to the Balearics and leaving the fire at home), but it might be all right on the beaches.
BTW Ioannina is a really nice place (but watch out Cass 'cos they eat frogs there i believe ).

Vas xx

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I'm with Gal abotu safety.
especially in the summer : no fooling with fire : Fire ONLY on beaches with no bushes around AND also ... mind the wind (meltemi wind in august is strong and I guess one fire drop would be enough to set a mountain on fire ...)
be careful and enjoy

Gal : you coming to the SPIP in London May 18th ????

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NefertitiBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi,
I guess I'm the only Greek that lives in Greece. I'm new here and I have to '' study'' a lot. I' ve never seen anything with poi here...I with there was someone to do some lessons.

Glad to be with you

Vasiliki

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Me and a friend of mine are taking a holiday in August. We are going to Kavos in Corfu. Does anyone know the rules there?Are they the same as on the mainland?Oh! and if there is any meets going on around there at that time I would love to know.

To play it safe is not to play

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Last May at the invite of the Aegean University and friends I spent two and a half weeks performing with fire, teaching and generally running workshops on the Island of Salmos, culminating in a number of nightly fire shows in conjunction with Andrew K and other artistes.

I wouldn't know about anywhere else in Greece, but there seemed to be either little or no restrictions relating to what with fire or what rules there were, were not being inforced, the salmos university juggling soc and myself were involved in a number of 'open' rehearsals in the town square, for which the police would come and watch.

Nobody asked to see my proof of public liability insurance for which I had to apply for a variation on, and or the written risk assessment(s) for the two weeks worth of shows.

Fuel wise, there are a number of lamp oils, one particular brand I was using 'Perfect' and this is not a recomendation in any form, had a suitable flash point, I used this for all aspects of the shows including fire breathing, Colmons lighter fuel was used for contact fire and fire painting. There was another material there that passed safety wise for the fuel evaluation forms that I use, sold for around 4 euros per four litres, having brough 20 litres of this stuff for the week, the group i was working with decided it was too smelly to work with.

mark